Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

Star Trek - Strange New Worlds

I'm quickly ploughing through this new Star Trek series in the 7 day free trial of Paramount+.

The original series of Star Trek  (TOS to Trekkies) was national viewing in my childhood and aside from the later series of Next Generation the producers have struggled to match the viewability of the early series.

Then a lot of modern TV series insist on a commitment from the viewer with long and complex story arcs overlaying episodes - and when those story arcs are designed to cover multiple series and then the series gets cancelled, I'm reluctant to commit to viewing a series. Picard was overly complex and tried to be too clever, Discovery had to have a couple of goes to find its feet (which reminds me, have I got time to check out the new series of that with my freebie).

So it's been a really pleasure watching the new series. They've successfully rewound to a lot of what was good about TOS - these are not super-humans, they are a bit argumentative and silly, but the main goodie is we have a series, with individual stand-alone episodes, there are a couple of longer term threadlets but they are minscule, unlike Discovery. Pike is quite in the role of Kirk, bonding with aliens in the bedroom (not just a snog now) and showing off his torso.

It's the best of the recent efforts.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

85 comments

David9694 | 4 months ago
0 likes

S2 out on DVD on Monday 4/12/23 

Hirsute | 4 months ago
1 like

I thought I append this one rather than a new thread.
I joking said to a couple of people that Dr who was so woke last night. I should have expected this reaction.

brooksby replied to Hirsute | 4 months ago
0 likes

Hirsute wrote:

I thought I append this one rather than a new thread. I joking said to a couple of people that Dr who was so woke last night. I should have expected this reaction.

I was watching it with my teenage son, and at that scene I laughed and said, "The tabloids won't like that!"

(edit) Of course, anyone watching that special who was over a certain age would know how the Meep storyline was going to pan out...  Dr Who Magazine, c.1980 - the Fourth Doctor meets Beep the Meep.

IanMSpencer | 6 months ago
1 like

Just binged ST-SNW season 2 for a freebie on Paramount+ via Amazon and something of a curate's egg. Quite a bit of tongue in cheek self-depricating humour, but a couple of jump-the-shark moments, a mash up with Lower Decks and Star Trek The Musical.

Low-lights include the rehashing of the court marshal plot, and other plots are fairly familiar. There is the obligitory time travel (actually x 2 as the Lower Decks epsiode is a time travel episode too).

Then we end with a rehash of the Enterprise facing impossible odds at the end of a series gambit.

Oddly enough the Musical episode was one of the better ones, both genuinely funny (to me anyway) and the music was both well written and quite well sung (if you can get past the extemely heavily auto-tuned vocals). What was really impressive though was that although the plot was far beyond the silliness of some of the holodeck TNG nonsense, was that the actors really put their heart and souls into their performances - it struck me that these guys really are actors, not just people being who they are in velour outfits. By doing it so well, they got away with it, though I thought there really should have been some Klingon opera to satisfy the people who know their culture.

brooksby | 7 months ago
1 like

My daughter talked me into Prime Video as there was something she wanted to watch.

I've already watched season one of ST: Picard and I'm just starting season six (the last one!) of The Expanse...

Also watched a couple of films I'd recommend: Dave made a maze, and Palm Springs.

Dave... is completely mad!

hawkinspeter replied to brooksby | 7 months ago
0 likes

Never heard of Dave Made a Maze, sounds interesting. Palm Springs has JK Simmons in it, so must be worth a watch.

AlsoSomniloquism | 7 months ago
2 likes

Resurrecting an old thread.

Strange New Worlds season 2 is now fully out for anyone who just wants to rent Paramount + for a month. 

I felt it was better then the first season in terms of plot with some episodes, especially episode 2 and 8. I thought 4 was the weakest although I'm sure 9 might upset a few. 

NOtotheEU replied to AlsoSomniloquism | 7 months ago
1 like

I agree, season 2 of The Nurse Chapel & Spock Show is great. I haven't reached the musical episode yet though so I might change my mind.

hawkinspeter replied to NOtotheEU | 7 months ago
1 like

NOtotheEU wrote:

I agree, season 2 of The Nurse Chapel & Spock Show is great. I haven't reached the musical episode yet though so I might change my mind.

I thought season 2 was a lot of fun and I thought the musical episode was hilarious (one scene in particular, which you'll know when you see it). By the way Star Trek Lower Decks is 3 episodes into its fourth season now.

Just finished season 2 of Foundation and thought it was much better than season 1. For some reason I found the first season a bit dull and I was trying to remember stuff that I'd read decades ago, but season 2 pulled me in a lot more.

Have to give a shout out for ONE PIECE - a Netflix live action version of an anime about pirates. It's so much fun and the actors are superb, though I've never read or watched the anime version.

NOtotheEU replied to hawkinspeter | 7 months ago
1 like

Oooh, completely missed that lower Decks new season had started, thank you. I seem to remember some mention of a crossover of the two so that should be fun if I didn't imagine it! Never heard of Foundation so I just Googled it and it looks interesting, thank you for a second time.

EDIT; I see what you did there now I've re read your post, at least I didn't imagine it!

AlsoSomniloquism replied to hawkinspeter | 7 months ago
1 like

I had avoided One Piece had they had done such a poor version of Cowboy Bebop. However I also haven't seen the orignal One Piece so that might help.

Almost finished Foundation 2. I have just had to forget all about the books as they take the initial idea (someone predicting the future fall of a galatic empire and trying to shorten the dark ages by 20000 years) and decided they wanted the same characters to follow for 100's of years instead. 

However I did like the idea with the Emperors (even though they don't explain the sudden change in looks at certain ages :0) and their stories are probably better then the foundation ones. 

hawkinspeter replied to AlsoSomniloquism | 7 months ago
1 like

I've only watched the live action version of Cowboy Bebop, so had nothing to compare it against. Seemed better to me than its reputation, but it was mediocre apart from a few good action scenes. Am just over half way through One Piece and it's totally captivating.

I can only remember some bits of the Foundation books (mainly Mule related bits which are likely to be in the next series), but they've been making lots of changes in the series. The gender swapping of characters is definitely an improvement as Asimov rarely made use of female characters. I thought the continuity of characters was a bit convenient, but I've been a fan of Jared Harris since Fringe and Lee Pace must be picking bits of scenery out of his teeth, he's been acting so hard.

0 likes

If it is still on Netflix, I seriously suggest you watch the animated Cowboy Beebop. 

hawkinspeter replied to AlsoSomniloquism | 7 months ago
1 like

It's well known as one of the top animes, though despite having had a copy for ages, I've just never got around to it.

(Just had a quick look and the version I've got is a lowly 480p version whereas a 1080p version is available)

AlsoSomniloquism | 1 year ago
1 like

The Last of Us on Sky/Now.

TBH the story in the game was very good so it would definitely make a good show if done right. The slight changes to the story improve it as well. The cast currently seems spot on as well. 

My only problem as someone who has run through the game multiple times is I can currently guess each episodes content and where it will end (unless they really make changes). 

hawkinspeter replied to AlsoSomniloquism | 1 year ago
0 likes

AlsoSomniloquism wrote:

The Last of Us on Sky/Now.

TBH the story in the game was very good so it would definitely make a good show if done right. The slight changes to the story improve it as well. The cast currently seems spot on as well. 

My only problem as someone who has run through the game multiple times is I can currently guess each episodes content and where it will end (unless they really make changes). 

Only seen the first episode so far, but enjoyed it. I only played about a couple of minutes of the game, but noticed that the series didn't have Joel continually running into a fence and then dying.

1 like

In the end, they did a fine job. Episode 3 was totally out of the blue as the game dealt with those characters totally differently. However I felt the ending in this was not as effective as the game because the stakes didn't feel as high, especially as they seemed to travel 1500 miles barely seeing any infected at all.

brooksby | 1 year ago
1 like

Has anyone else watched "Extraordinary" on Disney+ yet?  The premise is a cross between something like Derry Girls crossed with My Hero Academia (with just a hint of one my favourite films: Mystery Men).

hawkinspeter replied to brooksby | 1 year ago
0 likes

brooksby wrote:

Has anyone else watched "Extraordinary" on Disney+ yet?  The premise is a cross between something like Derry Girls crossed with My Hero Academia (with just a hint of one my favourite films: Mystery Men).

Nope, but shall put it on my list (currently watching Alice in Borderland which is a bit up and down). I only saw a trailer for it yesterday and thought it looked like it was trying too hard to be contemporary, but that's just a trailer. I'll give it a go as I also rate Mystery Men/

Hirsute replied to brooksby | 1 year ago
0 likes

Oh great - more subtitles required !!

brooksby | 1 year ago
0 likes

Any thoughts on Rick and Morty being recast due to their creator and voice artist being accused of domestic abuse?  How would that even work?  Surely we'd notice the difference?

1 like

brooksby wrote:

Any thoughts on Rick and Morty being recast due to their creator and voice artist being accused of domestic abuse?  How would that even work?  Surely we'd notice the difference?

Seems like that'll be a classic shark jumping moment if they do that. I thought the last season wasn't as good as previous ones, so maybe it's run its course and they should just bin it rather than trying to prolong it. I feel sorry for Dan Harmon though - maybe he can keep it going by himself.

brooksby replied to hawkinspeter | 1 year ago
0 likes

hawkinspeter wrote:

brooksby wrote:

Seems like that'll be a classic shark jumping moment if they do that. I thought the last season wasn't as good as previous ones, so maybe it's run its course and they should just bin it rather than trying to prolong it. I feel sorry for Dan Harmon though - maybe he can keep it going by himself.

Except that they signed and paid for a ten season contract, and we have just finished season six...

AlsoSomniloquism replied to brooksby | 1 year ago
1 like

I can't see it working with a voice recast (even if perfect) because part of the "comedy" was the riffing and improv from Roiland during recording. I also assume Solar Opposite is also now dead in the water which is a shame for "The Wall" story sub-plot was actually quite compelling. 

peted76 | 1 year ago
1 like

Another vote for Ted Lasso over here.. I'm no football fan but this is 'TV Gold' and has had me in piles of laughter and tears of sadness over the two seasons.

AlsoSomniloquism | 1 year ago
0 likes

My next reccomendation(s) for those with access to Apple TV (or Pirate Bay)

Severance. Approach this with very little pre-knowledge if possible. It will explain the basic concept early on in the show, then introduce lots of exploring of it with just a hint of weirdness for no obvious reasons. The last episode had us on the edge of our seats for the entire 45 minutes. 

And if you do take Apple TV trial to watch this, also watch Ted Lasso. You don't need to know anything about football be able to watch it (it was made for American audiences remember) but very funny AND surprisingly emotional as well. You can go from tears in your eyes from laughter to continued tears for sadness in a minute or two.  

hawkinspeter replied to AlsoSomniloquism | 1 year ago
0 likes

AlsoSomniloquism wrote:

My next reccomendation(s) for those with access to Apple TV (or Pirate Bay)

Severance. Approach this with very little pre-knowledge if possible. It will explain the basic concept early on in the show, then introduce lots of exploring of it with just a hint of weirdness for no obvious reasons. The last episode had us on the edge of our seats for the entire 45 minutes. 

And if you do take Apple TV trial to watch this, also watch Ted Lasso. You don't need to know anything about football be able to watch it (it was made for American audiences remember) but very funny AND surprisingly emotional as well. You can go from tears in your eyes from laughter to continued tears for sadness in a minute or two.  

Severance is just brilliant. I'd also give a strong recommendation of Slow Horses - it's got Gary Oldman doing an inverse Columbo at MI5 (he's similarly scruffy with a filthy raincoat and a super sharp mind, but rather than being polite and charming, he's rude and horrible). It does kind of disturb me that the main actor just keeps reminding me of Simon Pegg.

brooksby replied to hawkinspeter | 1 year ago
1 like

The character Gary Oldman plays was - in the novels - described as looking like Timothy Spall (back in the day, before TS lost a lot of weight).

Steve K replied to brooksby | 1 year ago
1 like

The novels are brilliant.  Also, I ride past 'Slough House' on my way to and from the office, so I was hoping I'd make an appearance in the background!

0 likes

brooksby wrote:

The character Gary Oldman plays was - in the novels - described as looking like Timothy Spall (back in the day, before TS lost a lot of weight).

I don't think Timothy Spall would swear as convincingly (and amusingly) as Gary Oldman.

Pages

Latest Comments