Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

Stupid things on windscreens

I noticed while out yesterday a car with a mobile phone mounted just below the rear view mirror in one of those "book" type holders, which was therefore open.

So a nice blind spot in the center of the windshield. I've also seen what looked to be a tablet mounted in the same place.

Technically it's an MOT fail, I believe.

Any other gems been seen?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

13 comments

Welsh boy | 1 year ago
2 likes

Not so much stupid things on windscreens but I have seen a lot of stupid things behind the windscreen 

Rendel Harris | 1 year ago
4 likes

All signs obviously undesirable if they obscure vision but I did enjoy one I saw recently in Brixton, handwritten sign on a bit of cardboard box taped to the rear window: "I ON 9 POINTS SO I GO SPEED LIMIT SORRY".

NOtotheEU | 1 year ago
5 likes

?

Stebbo | 1 year ago
0 likes

"Little dude onboard"  always makes me want to crash into them on purpose... Car or bike 

ErnieC replied to Stebbo | 1 year ago
2 likes

Stebbo wrote:

"Little dude onboard"  always makes me want to crash into them on purpose... Car or bike 

never quite figured out why parents do that and often seen them driving recklessly. 

Rendel Harris replied to ErnieC | 1 year ago
3 likes

ErnieC wrote:

Stebbo wrote:

never quite figured out why parents do that and often seen them driving recklessly. 

See quite a lot of bad driving from drivers with the Christian fish symbol on the back too, do they think they're protected? I'm not religiously inclined myself but as my very devout centenarian father-in-law says, "God will look after you but he expects you to contribute."

NOtotheEU replied to Rendel Harris | 1 year ago
2 likes

Rendel Harris wrote:

"God will look after you but he expects you to contribute."

I like it.

I've met a few Christian drivers who avoid the fish symbol precisely because it might reflect negatively on the whole faith when they inevitably make a mistake on the road.

Hirsute | 1 year ago
4 likes

It's an offence

windscreens and windows MUST be kept clean and free from obstructions to vision

ShutTheFrontDawes replied to Hirsute | 1 year ago
0 likes

I can't find that in the road traffic act. Only in a section regarding maintenance in the highway code. Feels like a mis-quote taken out of context. Otherwise, screen-mounted satnav holders, which have been around for donkeys, world all be illegal.

OnYerBike replied to ShutTheFrontDawes | 1 year ago
1 like

Highway Code Annex 6 points to this piece of legislation: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1986/1078/regulation/30/made

We can probably dance around the legal wording when it comes to hanging things from mirrors and/or screen-mounted holders, but certainly appears to indicate the clear forward vision is required.

Or failing that there is simply driving without due care and attention.

Tom_77 replied to ShutTheFrontDawes | 1 year ago
1 like

ShutTheFrontDawes wrote:

I can't find that in the road traffic act. Only in a section regarding maintenance in the highway code. Feels like a mis-quote taken out of context. Otherwise, screen-mounted satnav holders, which have been around for donkeys, world all be illegal.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1986/1078/regulation/30/made

"All glass or other transparent material fitted to a motor vehicle shall be maintained in such condition that it does not obscure the vision of the driver while the vehicle is being driven on a road. "

Hirsute replied to ShutTheFrontDawes | 1 year ago
1 like

OnYerBike and Tom_77 have saved me the leg work.

If you use the online version of the highway code, then a MUST has hyperlinks at the bottom of the section to take you to the underlying legislation.

Just because you can buy something does not make its use legal. Although positions such as bottom right corner seem reasonable unlike stuck in the middle of the windscreen.

mark1a replied to ShutTheFrontDawes | 1 year ago
1 like

There's a whole range of offences that can fall under "Construction & Use" (CU endorsement code) that a driver could be done for if a police officer so wished, I've seen someone get a fine for having a slightly misted up rear window after failing the roadside "attitude test" and getting mouthy with a police officer. 

Latest Comments