Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Tour of Britain

It's quite nice to have a race to watch outside the game - you can just enjoy the spectacle with no ulterior agenda! I am planning to watch the finish in Llandudno on Wednesday from half way up the final climb on the Great Orme. I'll be the old man waving a Basque flag........

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

15 comments

Dnnnnnn | 2 years ago
1 like

On the topic of the ToB, is road.cc pretty much ignoring it...?

Awavey replied to Dnnnnnn | 2 years ago
0 likes

its not going past their front door

Steve K | 2 years ago
4 likes

A completely irrelevant and random comment, but I was amused to spot that the bike on the ITV opening credits for its Tour of Britain highlights has a Sora groupset.

Rendel Harris replied to Steve K | 2 years ago
5 likes

Steve K wrote:

A completely irrelevant and random comment, but I was amused to spot that the bike on the ITV opening credits for its Tour of Britain highlights has a Sora groupset.

I noticed and pointed it out to Mrs H - she was fascinated!*

*She may not have been fascinated

Steve K replied to Rendel Harris | 2 years ago
3 likes

Rendel Harris wrote:

Steve K wrote:

I noticed and pointed it out to Mrs H - she was fascinated!*

*She may not have been fascinated

Yes, I was going to point it out to Mrs K, but decided it would take too long to explain.

Aragonite | 2 years ago
0 likes

If you ever fancy entering a comp. not covered by roadcc, I can strongly recommend a Norwegian site First Cycling, Everything is in English, it also has a results/history sevice similar to PCS, and if womens cycling  is your thing it has a complete database of past results and a fantasy game for them too.

11waterloo replied to Aragonite | 2 years ago
0 likes

Cheers for that! Not sure if I can cope with the stress of extra races, but it's nice to have an option. I do use First Cycling but purely for results as they seem to get them faster than PCS, never realised they did a game as well.

Aragonite replied to 11waterloo | 2 years ago
0 likes

Game format is more akin tIo the Purist game on here, so it's not as hands on..

I'll be on the look out for you on Wednesday. Are you spanish/french?

0 likes

Sadly not, but we picked up a flag when we were in the Basque Country many years ago and it now accompanies us whenever we watch cycling. We have also acquired Flemish & Breton flags along the way but the Basque one is the most visible! 

0 likes

Nothing wrong with the UK, .#proud to be British  1

0 likes

I didn't phrase that very well, I too am proud to be British - the sad bit was for not having been able to get over to France/Italy/Spain for a couple of years now!

0 likes

Educated guess that that was you approx. 1.1k from the finish line. If so you are a good few years younger than me.  1

2 likes

Exactly right!  I was rather overshadowed by a shirtless idiot running alongside the leading group but it was a fantastic spectacle. That won't be the last time they use that road as a finish - the first kilometre is so steep that a selection is automatic and the second k is slightly less intimidating so a super selective sprint is likely (as per yesterday). Good road surface and excellent viewing points also work in its favour. Picture is a still from tv coverage so a bit blurry!

1 like

Good to see that you were actually watching the action, rather than what seems to be the norm nowadays and watching through the lens of a phone camera. Will  never understand that, the memory imprinted in your own head will always surpass that of the image of a photograph.

2 likes

Completely agree and I now have some great memories of proper bike racing. Took some pictures before the race came through and left the rest to the official photographers (who will do a much better job anyway)!

Latest Comments