Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Tubeless Enve tyre rolls off Roval rim at 45kmh-Venge written off-thoughts?

Running (Specialized) RovalCL50 wheels with Enve SES TLR 25 tyres (75psi front). Last Sunday I hit a series of small potholes through Epsom, (I'd say I've straight-lined worse in the past with no worries), front went bang (tyre didn't puncture though) and I went down hard. 

When I picked up the bike the front tyre was inside out. This tyre's done 4.5k, is in roadworthy condition, no repairs/tyre boots/plugs. New sealant and inspected recently. The Enve tyre and Roval rim combination makes fitting fairly easy using a single lever or even just strong thumbs and a good push.  Maybe that's a red flag but hearing horror stories about tricky GP5000's from many I thought I was onto a good thing. Needs a compressor or tubless inflator to seal. Tyre doesn't need a hookless rim. I just don't understand how it could have come off if rim & tyre are in spec.

Lots of road rash, trashed kit, cracked frame and smashed levers etc. Wheel actually looks like it might survive despite the fact I was just rolling on the carbon momentarily (which sounded horrible) before going down. 

Thankfully I didn't take anyone else out, didn't hit the kerb or get collected by a car. I have bike insurance, I have other bikes and after a couple of weeks of healing I'll be hopefully ok to ride. But it could have been very different.

So far some have just blamed the fact it's tubeless. If any one has any constructive thoughts beyond this I'd love to hear them.  My take is that this is a rim/tyre design or manufacturing failure and I should take it up with the manufacturers. 

However the fact that Specialized has abandoned tubeless on the SL7 is not lost on me.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

29 comments

MattieKempy | 2 years ago
1 like

Sounds shit and I hope you're alright. TBF to Specialized and Enve, I had exactly the same occurence but running Vittoria Corsas on latex tubes. 45km/h, tyre goes 'bang' and turns inside-out on rim, I hit the deck and the frame snaps. Hurt pride but fortunately the bike was insured so a relatively minor inconvenience in that regard. I'd just hurtled down a mountain at 80km/h so I was pretty relieved to be on the flat at 45km/h when it happened! Never had anything like this in 5 years of running tubeless though.

ENVE | 2 years ago
3 likes

Hi Nadsta - it's never good seeing images like this and we'd like to get more information. Can you email jake [at] enve.com so we can be in touch? Thank you. 

nadsta replied to ENVE | 2 years ago
0 likes

Thanks, done

nadsta replied to nadsta | 2 years ago
0 likes

The road surface, postition wise I was riding primary:

Hirsute replied to nadsta | 2 years ago
8 likes

Primary? Looks like you need to be on the other carriageway !

Chris Hayes replied to nadsta | 2 years ago
6 likes

.....the lesson being that most of us have to negotiate stretches like these on every ride we do.... the answer is higher taxation and legislation to stop unregulated f**kwits digging up public roads and not putting them together properly.

Recoveryride replied to Chris Hayes | 2 years ago
3 likes

Tell me about it. This is almost the norm these days around me. A German work colleague, recently moved to the UK, seems to exist in a state of daily astonishment and horror at our road surfaces: 'In Germany, this is gravel'.

Recoveryride replied to nadsta | 2 years ago
4 likes

Hi Nadsta - it would be great if you'd share Enve's responses  in due course, if you're happy to do so.

nadsta replied to Recoveryride | 2 years ago
3 likes

Over the past couple of weeks I’ve been able to speak directly with ENVE. Together we went through the sequence of events and the sensations I experienced from the front of the bike and they looked at the photos of the road condition and the tyre. 

The consensus arrived at was :

1-Tyre burps on the first pothole strike and the sidewall is pushed into the centre of the rim

2-Total loss of pressure causes tyre to blow off and flip inside out

3- I ride on the inside out tyre. The rim pressure against the road causes approx 30 cuts* along the tyre bead-protecting the wheel rim hence the lack of damage to it’s circumference

4- As I fall, the side of the rim picks up some damage to one area only.

They then helped walk me through a tubeless rim design as defined by the ETRTO standard, and I can see how ENVE’s design of their tubeless rim offers additional protection against the problem I experienced.  Comparing cross sections of say the Roval, ENVE and Hunt’s Limitless, the Roval bead shelf is much narrower, the centre channel much wider (and shallower) and there is no hump between the two.  I’d guess the situation is compounded by running a 25mm tyre. 

We also looked briefly at the ETRTO standard that was current when Roval released the CL/CLX which (from memory )mandated the ‘hump’ between the shelf and the centre drop (it doesn’t anymore for some reason, maybe a widened bead shelf). As such, I’m not even sure that the rim was ETRTO compliant and I will research this further and follow up with Roval. I contacted Specialized via their ‘Rider Care support’ link but I’ve still not heard anything. I’ll post more when I do.

*Initially I couldn't see much wrong with the tyre and couldn't wash off the sealant to inspect properly as my right hand was covered in dressings.  When I did, I found approx 30 cuts alongside the bead

0 likes

the inside

Recoveryride replied to nadsta | 2 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for posting the follow up. I'd be interested to know if the rim wasn't compliant, and if it wasn't, are they potentially at fault?

Chris Hayes | 2 years ago
2 likes

Horror show photos.  I used to ride a motorbike and was conscious that all the grip you have cornering is tranferred through a few square inches of tread - an autumn leaf's worth, if you like.  Road bikes tyre surface area contact is a fraction of this and whilst we mostly travel at lower speeds, lycra isn't much protection against stone-chipped asphalt. 

I think the most plausible explanation is recoveryride's below, that the tyre caught the edge or lip of a pothole, distorted, letting the air out, and then de-rimmed.  Wow. Just wow. 

I wonder if running tyres at lower pressures could contribute to this?  I'm an 85psi man myself, a lot less than the 140psi one of my German mates insists on squeezing into his Vittorias, but I'm inclined to think that higher pressure tyres might distort less and so be less prone to twisting.

sparrowlegs | 2 years ago
1 like

Jeez! I did not expect that! It's literally nearly done a 180 on the rim!

That's not just a burp or a simple deflation on impact. That looks like an incompatibility issue that's happened in the 1-in-a-million type scenario. A perfect storm if you will.

Thinking about it, tyres that are meant for hookless applications are supposed to be stronger at the bead. Purely because they don't have the hook to hold them on.

I'm wondering if hitting a bump at the bottom of the wheel has allowed, momentarily, for the tyre to slip in to the central channel which has then allowed the tyre to become baggy/loose at the top and pop over the edge?

Like Chris says though, the GP5000 is a fantastic tyre and in my opinion is able to hide the sins of a bad tubeless design.

Chris Hayes | 2 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for posting this, Nadsta.  Glad that you've both survived the experience and retained a healthy and philosophical attitude.  Sharing experiences like this makes us all safer.

​I've been warned by my LBS about the compatibility of certain tubeless tyres and rims following difficulty in getting a good seal. Apparently this derives from shape and dimensions of the rim hook versus the tyre bead. I guess that hookless rims compound this.  It's certainly one to look out for.

I tend to use GP5000s for everything apart from Mavic wheels for exactly this reason. Mavic, for some unknown reason, wouldn't share their data with Continental when developing their tubeless rims and so advise only using Mavic tyres. Just to be contrary, I use Hutchinsons who make tyres for Mavic so they don't make any more money from me! 

nadsta replied to Chris Hayes | 2 years ago
0 likes

HI Chris, thanks for you input.  The Rovals are hooked, the Enve tyres claim both hooked and hookless compatibility. Enve's tubeless wheels appear to be hookless so one would assume their tyres are mainly developed using that standard.  I haven't much enjoyed being a beta tester!

0 likes

eek

wtjs | 2 years ago
0 likes

You're really talking me into going tubeless! I have the appropriate wheels which came with my fairly new gravel bike but, as an old fuddy-duddy, I have confined myself to enjoying the satisfying noise as the tube pushes the tyres onto the 'ramps', or whatever they're called.

nadsta replied to wtjs | 2 years ago
0 likes

Old is relative! Yes it's a great sound as the tyre seats, but tubeless tyres in my experience should do the exact same. 

wtjs replied to nadsta | 2 years ago
1 like

tubeless tyres in my experience should do the exact same

They are tubeless tyres, which came with the bike, but I have no intention of using them tubeless. I fixed a slow puncture on the front this morning- I counted the patches on the original tube- 12

Recoveryride replied to wtjs | 2 years ago
4 likes

I think tubeless for off-road use is fairly mature technology and now works pretty well. I certainly wouldn't go back to tubes for gravel/MTB and I'm not aware of any horror stories like this one. The lower tyre pressures and higher air volumes also means that, frankly, it works better. It's a pretty settled debate, I think.

On road, though, the jury is still out, IMO.

Yes, punctures are less likely, the ride quality is better, and in theory they are minutely faster, but the much higher pressures and lower air volumes used on road present a number of problems:

1. it is hard for the sealant actually to work at over c. 70 psi.
  2. Even if it does work, the high pressure and small air volume in the tyre can mean that by the time it does, you still effectively have a flat, and when you try to reinflate, the hole unseals again.
  3. The mechanics of holding the tyre on the rim at a higher pressure, especially in case of a flat/impact are more complex - as this thread bears out.
  4. Addressing point 3 effectively often means a tyre which is very hard to fit, and almost impossible to add a tube to in case of emergency [exhibit 1, Conti GP5000 TL]

These problems aren't insurmountable and won't be an issue for everyone, but it's good to be aware of them.

I'm honestly agnostic on the tubeless debate for road, but I'm tending towards tubed, if only because of the remote chance of catastrophic incidents like the one described in this thread.

Sriracha replied to Recoveryride | 2 years ago
2 likes

Not sure if what is said over at https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/comment/is-the-tubeless-system-flawed... has already been covered by the points in this thread, but it does seem to match up:

Quote:

Martin Girdwood is the owner of Velo-Tech Cheshire and a professional bike mechanic of nine years. Lately, he’s started to notice a pattern of failures for 25mm tubeless tyres. Girdwood said: “I’ve had customers – whose bikes I’ve been regularly servicing and who keep their tyres at sensible pressures – instead of getting a simple hole, having the tyre actually rip and suffering a blowout.”

stuartcoupe replied to Sriracha | 2 years ago
0 likes

The case in this thread looks to be the tyre rolling off. The other article talks of the tyres ripping. Very different by the look of it?

nadsta replied to Sriracha | 2 years ago
1 like

Sriracha wrote:

Not sure if what is said over at https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/comment/is-the-tubeless-system-flawed... has already been covered by the points in this thread, but it does seem to match up:

Quote:

Martin Girdwood is the owner of Velo-Tech Cheshire and a professional bike mechanic of nine years. Lately, he’s started to notice a pattern of failures for 25mm tubeless tyres. Girdwood said: “I’ve had customers – whose bikes I’ve been regularly servicing and who keep their tyres at sensible pressures – instead of getting a simple hole, having the tyre actually rip and suffering a blowout.”

very interesting reading, thanks for posting

Recoveryride replied to Sriracha | 2 years ago
1 like

Good article, and while it does largely re-state the critcisms of road tubeless in here, it's good to have a more 'authoritative' source. I think the idea that at 25mm it's probably not worth the bother, at 28-30 it's a toss up, at 30mm width it's probably worth it, and always go tubeless off-road, is a good rule of thumb.

sparrowlegs | 2 years ago
4 likes

First off, I'm glad your ok other than the road rash. Like you said it could have been a lot worse.

I have experience with the Roval, I had some CLX 50 and due to a pretty miserable tubeless experience I sold them. I'd constantly find the tyres unseated and sealant everywhere. The best tyres I used on those wheels were the GP5000. Mainly because they were so tight. They were the only ones I felt confident going on longer rides on and they stayed up all the time, but only at the higher end of the pressure gauge  

The shape of the tubeless ridge doesn't hold the tyre on like Hunts or Scribe (or any other tubeless rim for that matter). I found that after a tyre had been fitted to them it was hard to get it to seal on any other wheels. 

4.5k sounds a lot but if it's done in one year then that's ok. How long have the tyres been fitted? How heavy are you? Had you been braking quite a lot beforehand, the rim/tyre might have had a lot of heat in it?

Those tyres are designed to work with Enve hookless rims and it's what stopped me from buying them, even though they say they work with hooked rims.

It sounds like the tyre may have lost some pressure at some point and then re-seated but blown past the rim outer. I also think the profile of where the tyre interfaces with the hook of the rim might not fully compatible. The Roval rims are a very old design and in my opinion a very poor tubeless design. Many forum posts will back this up.

If it still intact I'd try the tyre on another rim to see what its integrity is like. After that, take it up with the manufacturers.

Also, after a crash many years ago while I was in A&E the Dr said salt baths is the best thing. Loads of table salt in a bath. It doesn't sting at all and speeded up the skin repair.

Good luck and quick recovery. 

nadsta replied to sparrowlegs | 2 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for sharing your experience Sparrowlegs.  I tried Spesh's 2bliss 26s which were fine to get on and inflate but after 3 total tyre failures due to puctures within about 1000km I gave up and tried the Enve's which have been great. I will try the tyre on another rim when I get the bike back (in for insurance assessment).

To answer your q's, I fitted the Enve tyres last September, I'm 73kg, we were on rolling roads 3 up on a very slight descent, no heavy braking and I don't think temperature would have been a factor.  Thanks for your injury advice. A week later and the road rash has just started to heal, as mentioned I've been v lucky.

Sounds like Roval haven't been able to design a satisfactory tubeless road rim, I'll get in touch with them!

Recoveryride | 2 years ago
5 likes

From what you describe, I would speculate that the tyre has caught on the side edge of a pothole and gravity/momentum/the impact has pulled it off the rim.

There are a few threads on, or connected to, this on weightweenies. I haven't been through them all, but from my brief scan, and what I can remember, there have been concerns about Rovals not retaining a tubeless tyre in the event of a sudden loss of pressure or - as seems likely in your case - a burp. Somebody posted a diagram highlighting a possible issue although IDK if it was of your model.

It's interesting, as you note, that the newer Roval wheels are explicitly not tubeless compatible, despite having a rim bed that looks pretty much identical to the older ones, so maybe this is something Roval is aware of. That said, if it was/is a known safety issue, I'd like to think they'd recall/issue a safety notice.

I would definitely pursue it; like you said, this could have been very nasty indeed.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

nadsta replied to Recoveryride | 2 years ago
1 like

Recoveryride wrote:

there have been concerns about Rovals not retaining a tubeless tyre in the event of a sudden loss of pressure or - as seems likely in your case - a burp.

Thanks, I hadn't thought of Weight weenies and poking around there does show issues with Rovals retaining a tyre in the bead lock. I will pursue it with them.  Also I think you may be right when you speculate that a burp after striking the pothole partially unseated the tyre before the full failure, at least that was my recollection at the time-a bump, some loss of control but well within my ability to correct, followed by a bang as the tyre rolled off. 

claudie replied to nadsta | 2 years ago
1 like

Interesting read and hope you're recovering well. I have Roval SLX24 wheels and have run them tubeless for 4 years using Hutchinson, IRC, Goodyear and GP5000s. If I let the air out of the valve they have all come off the bead whereas with my wife's JRA Lark Lights, they have remained locked into the bead. With my rovals, I run them between 70 - 75 psi ( I weigh 66kg ) and have had punctures but never with a total loss of pressure so the bead has remained locked into the bead. This thread does concern me if I was to have a  puncture where the sealant couldn't cope and it resulted in a total loss of air pressure. So thanks for posting and raising awareness.

Latest Comments