Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Tyres rubbing on mudguard...will it cause a problem?

Hello,

I have bought some mudguards but due to rust one part where they should be screwed in (just underneath the saddle) they cannot be .

This means there is some intermittent rubbing, especially at slow speeds. I'm not sure why this is only occurring at slow speeds but it definitely is.

My question is, is this likely to be doing any damage to the tyres?

If not I can put up with going a little slower as I dont ride my bike too much in winter months (150-300 miles tops) before they will come off for the summer.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

Stucks123 | 1 year ago
1 like

Thanks for all the responses. I've managed to hack a solution I think so they dont rub!

matthewn5 | 1 year ago
1 like

I've found Sheldon Fender Nuts a godsend for bikes with limited clearance that weren't designed for mudguards. They add a mount point to your brake nuts. Available from SJS. But they don't work with disk brakes of course.

My experience is that the tyre wears out the mudguard, not the other way round.

IanMSpencer | 1 year ago
2 likes

You will find that eventually you have a hole in the mudguard.

Post some photos and I am sure someone could suggest a fudge to solve the problem - after all an amazing number of bikes don't have proper fixing places for mudguards.

mattw | 1 year ago
1 like

I think you need space, even if it not very much.

I also wonder how much work it is adding for you.

I'd have a proper look at the alignment, or consider the possibility of a slightly smaller tyre. I run the largest tyre I can on my Boardman Hybrid because I went for the version without the mini-suspension for efficienct, and I like the extra bit of comfort.

But if you are on say a 37mm, can you shrink it to a 32mm if the mudguard is OK? Might make all the difference.

On safety, I would be concerned at something like a stick stopping your tyre rolling, and your potential new career as a Swan Diver.

AlsoSomniloquism | 1 year ago
1 like

I would be more worried that the less space between the tyre and mudguard would cause things to catch and rip the mudguard off then wearing the tyre. However I expect it will wear the tyre faster if you left it to happen. Is the issue of rust with the mudguards or the bike? is the issue with rust that you can't use the bolt hole but it is still there? Matbe McGyver it with a cable tie or something that can be threaded through and tied off. 

As for the rub only happening at slow speeds, I wonder if the spinning wheel is causing an air cushion to form at higher speeds, so the mudguard is "lifted up slightly.

Latest Comments