Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Where is Charlie Alliston now?

He went to prison for accidentally knocking a woman over who later died when he was cycling. He's been out for a while now so it would be interesting to hear his thoughts on the increasing number of accidents involving bicycles and people walking. He was the first big profile media case of it and there have only been more since. He was demonised, I wonder if he is able to find work now.

Do you think they could find him and do an interview with him?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

HoarseMann | 1 year ago
7 likes

I'm more interested in how a cyclist got a custodial sentence using an ancient law. Yet killer drivers, charged under a recent law, most often get a suspended sentence and are frequently found not guilty.

chrisonabike replied to HoarseMann | 1 year ago
4 likes

"Ancient law" - do you mean it was "established" rather than recently changed? Just wonder if it works like traffic lights...

hawkinspeter | 1 year ago
15 likes

I for one am not interested in what he has to say and I guess he'd want to be left alone to put the whole thing behind him.

perce replied to hawkinspeter | 1 year ago
7 likes

Agreed.

chrisonabike replied to hawkinspeter | 1 year ago
4 likes

Seconded. The case may have some very limited interest. Primarily "why all the fuss?" - which is probably "because extreme rarity" Plus "pantomime villain". I doubt Mr. Alliston has much of interest for folks and unfortunately the widower Mr. Briggs seems persuaded that cycling in general was the problem.

If you want more there's an attempt by RDRF to go even-handedly through the case - and a savaging in comments.

https://rdrf.org.uk/2017/08/21/the-charlie-alliston-case-the-real-story/

Or the cycling silk:
https://thecyclingsilk.blogspot.com/2017/08/the-alliston-mis-trial.html?m=1

ktache replied to hawkinspeter | 1 year ago
1 like

I believe this is Chuck's first forum. I'm also guessing that there may be more in a similar vein.

ShutTheFrontDawes replied to ktache | 1 year ago
2 likes
ktache wrote:

I believe this is Chuck's first forum. I'm also guessing that there may be more in a similar vein.

What if the OP is secretly Charlie Alliston, and he's trying to bring himself back into the mainstream?

What is 'Chuck' short for? Checkmate and Bullseye.

hawkinspeter replied to ShutTheFrontDawes | 1 year ago
1 like

ShutTheFrontDawes wrote:

What if the OP is secretly Charlie Alliston, and he's trying to bring himself back into the mainstream? What is 'Chuck' short for? Checkmate and Bullseye.

If it is Charlie, then he'd be better off emailing road.cc or newspapers to see if they want to interview him. I'd guess it'd be easy enough for a hack journalist to put together a story.

Whilst checking that Chuck is short for Charles/Charlie, I spotted that Charles comes from the Germanic word cheorl, meaning "free man". Seems appropriate.

Secret_squirrel replied to ktache | 1 year ago
1 like

ktache wrote:

Since I've just come from another weekend post where I pointed out he's going a bit trollish - you guessed correctly.

Maybe they were just bored this weekend - which is fair enough.. 

Latest Comments