Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

TECH NEWS

Mason Cycles: First painted Bokeh adventure bikes unveiled

Mason's new Bokeh will be available in four builds and two frame colours

A couple of months ago Dom Mason of Mason Cycles swung by the office with his latest frame, the Bokeh, which has been designed to be able to tackle more rugged terrain than the original Resolution and Definition endurance road bike that he launched with last year. Today Dom sent over some photos of the very first painted samples of the new  Bokeh, and so good do they look that we just had to share them with you. The new bike is in production now and should be available very soon. The wait looks to be worth it.

mason bokeh painted 1.JPG

- Exclusive sneak peek: Mason Cycles Bokeh and Bokeh Ti

You don't need me to tell you that adventure and gravel bikes have become very fashionable over the past couple of years, and now it seems every bike manufacturer is dabbling in this category. The Bokeh is a natural progression from the original Resolution and Definition endurance disc bike - Mason says much of what it inspired the development of the Bokeh was seeing customers using the Resolution and Definition in ways that he hadn’t envisioned when he designed them, strapping bikepacking bags to them and using them for adventures on less than ideal terrain.

- Buyer’s guide to gravel and adventure bikes

Dom_Bokeh_Aug2016.JPG

The Bokeh is the response, a bike designed for the rider that wants to purposely head away from congested roads into the wilderness, for “continent crushing rides” in Mason’s own words. With the Bokeh, Mason has sought to create a frame with increased capability than the original bikes he launched the brand with a couple of years ago. The big news is the capacity for much wider tyres, up to 41mm if using a conventional 700c wheelset, but it goes out to 50mm if using a 650b wheelset, a French wheel standard that has been resurrected by the industry, most prominently with the Cannondale Slate from last year. 

mason bokeh painted 6.JPG

The bikes Mason showed us back in July were pre-production frames in a raw unpainted prototype form, but he's just had the first painted frames delivered and built up with the actual build kits that he'll be offering, and my goodness don't they look good. The finish looks to be right up there with the very high standard that Mason set with his debut frames. 

mason bokeh painted 11.JPG

The aluminium Bokeh (there will be a titanium version eventually) is going to be offered in two colours, ElementGrey with Copper/Mustard/White details, and FlareOrange with Tunsten/Ochre/White. And here they are. The two bikes also demonstrate the different builds with the key differential being the wheels and tyres.

MASON_GREY_SRAM_3_4_side.jpg

This is the ElementGrey with SRAM Force 1x and 650b x 50. The 650 builds will feature SRAM Rival or Force 1x groupsets with 10/42t cassettes, with new Mason x Hunt AdventureSport 650b wheels with Panaracer Comet Hardpack 2.0in tyres.  A Force build will cost £3,100 and Rival will be £2,795. 

MASON_ORANGE_ULTEGRA_3_4_BACK.jpg

And here’s the FlareOrange with 700c x 35 with Shimano Ultegra and hydraulic disc brakes. The 700c build will get Shimano 105 or Ultegra groupsets with hydraulic groupsets, and Hunt Four Season Gravel Disc wheels shod with Panaracer Gravelking SK 35mm tyres. The Ultegra hydro bike will also cost £3,100, the 205 hydro comes in at £2,795. So all you have to do is choose your colour and build kit preference. Shimano or SRAM? 650b or 700c wheels and tyres? It's a dilemma. To add to the choice, Mason will also offer framesets for £1,150 if you want to build your own.

mason bokeh painted 7.JPG

Finishing kit for both bikes will be Deda Elementi with a choice of SuperZero parts on the more expensive Force and Ultegra bikes. 

The geometry is obviously altered to account for the bigger tyre capacity, but Mason has managed to keep the stack height similar to the Definition and Resolution, so swapping between both shouldn’t result in a huge shift in riding position. Tall head tubes have been avoided because Mason is pitching the Bokeh as a fast bike that needs to accelerate and climb well. There’ll be six sizes from 50 to 60cm to choose from. Here's the geo chart: 

mason bokeh geo chart.png

There’s a new fork called the Parallax, made from carbon fibre in Italy and features a 12mm thru-axle with a flat mount caliper fixing. The front brake hose is routed inside the fork blade and there are eyelets for a mudguard, rack and dynamo, pointing to the long distance unsupported roaming intention of the new bike. Weight is a claimed 465g. 

mason bokeh painted 8.JPG

Production bikes are being painted right now and you can place a pre-order on the Mason website with the delivery of frames and bikes for October, and due to the demand he's already received another batch of frames has been ordered for a later October delivery. 

 

More info at masoncycles.cc/shop/categories/bokeh-bikes

David worked on the road.cc tech team from 2012-2020. Previously he was editor of Bikemagic.com and before that staff writer at RCUK. He's a seasoned cyclist of all disciplines, from road to mountain biking, touring to cyclo-cross, he only wishes he had time to ride them all. He's mildly competitive, though he'll never admit it, and is a frequent road racer but is too lazy to do really well. He currently resides in the Cotswolds, and you can now find him over on his own YouTube channel David Arthur - Just Ride Bikes

Add new comment

50 comments

Avatar
Dr_Lex | 7 years ago
1 like

Dom,

Well done for answering all the comments made; hard to fault your commitment and the interview you have road.cc is more evidence.

I hope to make it to Hove in the next few months to try out a Bokeh; it ticks all the boxes for me.

Avatar
Dom replied to Dr_Lex | 7 years ago
0 likes
Dr_Lex wrote:

Dom,

Well done for answering all the comments made; hard to fault your commitment and the interview you have road.cc is more evidence.

I hope to make it to Hove in the next few months to try out a Bokeh; it ticks all the boxes for me.

Hi Dr_Lex,

Thanks very much and thanks for reading : ]

Email us and we'll sort a test-ride, no problem at all.

Dom | Mason Cycles.

Avatar
welshcyclistguy | 7 years ago
1 like

something about that grey... colour sexy as hell i want one 

Avatar
Tuffer-B | 7 years ago
0 likes

Made the trip down to Brighton today for a test ride, not dissapointed.  Fantastic quality and attention to detail from Dom (Julie also makes a great of Tea).  The Bokeh is fantastic to ride, my wife and I tried a 650B as well as a 700C, sold.  Just waiting on the final specs for the Ti.

Avatar
Dom replied to Tuffer-B | 7 years ago
0 likes
Tuffer-B wrote:

Made the trip down to Brighton today for a test ride, not dissapointed.  Fantastic quality and attention to detail from Dom (Julie also makes a great of Tea).  The Bokeh is fantastic to ride, my wife and I tried a 650B as well as a 700C, sold.  Just waiting on the final specs for the Ti.

Hi Tuffer-B,

Great to meet you both and really pleased you liked the bikes : ]

Glad you liked the tea, although J said she forgot to give you your cake to go with it!

I'll keep you updated on the BokehTi progress and send pics of the final production sample [don't forget to send back the pre-order pdf so we can record your details, sizes etc].

Dom | Mason Cycles.

Avatar
1961BikiE | 7 years ago
0 likes

Wanted the orange when I saw a pic of a resolution(?) proto in orange. Have to say though the grey is tempting. The contrasts you've used really set it up. Hopefully will be placing an order come spring. May well take you up on a trst ride. TBH if I'm thinking of spending 3K on a bike is a trip to Brighton really out of the question eh keirik? Yes it would be lovely to test one locally but we're talking a small UK brand not Trek or Specialized.

Avatar
Dom replied to 1961BikiE | 7 years ago
0 likes
1961BikiE wrote:

Wanted the orange when I saw a pic of a resolution(?) proto in orange. Have to say though the grey is tempting. The contrasts you've used really set it up. Hopefully will be placing an order come spring. May well take you up on a trst ride. TBH if I'm thinking of spending 3K on a bike is a trip to Brighton really out of the question eh keirik? Yes it would be lovely to test one locally but we're talking a small UK brand not Trek or Specialized.

Hi 1961BikiE,

It was the first Definition sample you would have seen [my son is now the proud owner of the only FlareOrange 48cm Definition in existance!] The ElementGrey with copper/mustard detailing looks lovely when the light catches it, it's my fave. You are of course welcome to visit us down in Brighton and take a Bokeh out for a spin on the trails : ]

Dom | Mason Cycles.

Avatar
peted76 | 7 years ago
1 like

Beautiful bike. Love the orange. Love the build. 

My 'want' is defo with the Resolution though, one day!!, hopefully  1

Avatar
Dom replied to peted76 | 7 years ago
0 likes
peted76 wrote:

Beautiful bike. Love the orange. Love the build. 

My 'want' is defo with the Resolution though, one day!!, hopefully  1

Hi peted76,

Thanks very much! Glad you like what we are doing : ]

Stay in touch and it would be good to supply a Resolution to you one day.

Dom | Mason Cycles.

 

Avatar
freefall_junkie | 7 years ago
1 like

Love the look of the Bokeh. The one I am waiting for though is the Aspect, as Ti variation on the Resolution I believe.

Dom, any word on when the Aspect will be released and how the geometry will differ from the Resolution and Definition?

 

Avatar
Dom replied to freefall_junkie | 7 years ago
0 likes
freefall_junkie wrote:

Love the look of the Bokeh. The one I am waiting for though is the Aspect, as Ti variation on the Resolution I believe.

Dom, any word on when the Aspect will be released and how the geometry will differ from the Resolution and Definition?

 

Hi freefall_junkie,

Thanks very much, very glad you like them : ]

The BokehTi is almost finalised and we'll be making the first ones at the start of Nov. The Aspect is next, it's being ISO tested now and Josh Ibett will be building one up next month to put a few 1000 miles on it! We'll go into production early 2017.

Geo will be very similar to Resolution/Definition but slightly more clearance, longer wheelbase, longer headtube. It'll use the Aperture2 fork and finish will be the same as the BokehTi [bead-blast with hi-polish logo's and special decals for Ti].

Hope this helps and please stay in touch.

Dom | Mason Cycles.

Avatar
drosco | 7 years ago
0 likes

I would love one, but three grand. Ouch.

Avatar
Darkhairedlord | 7 years ago
0 likes

Bukake

Avatar
VeloPeo replied to Darkhairedlord | 7 years ago
2 likes
Darkhairedlord wrote:

Bukake

So you're going to splash out on one then?  3

Avatar
hsiaolc replied to Darkhairedlord | 7 years ago
0 likes
Darkhairedlord wrote:

Bukake

 

Funny. 

 

But on the serious side.  I just think the name is wrong for a bike. Shame. 

Avatar
imajez replied to hsiaolc | 7 years ago
0 likes
hsiaolc wrote:

But on the serious side.  I just think the name is wrong for a bike. Shame. 

I like it myself. But whatever it would be called, someone won't like it.
 

Avatar
Beecho replied to imajez | 7 years ago
1 like
imajez wrote:
hsiaolc wrote:

But on the serious side.  I just think the name is wrong for a bike. Shame. 

I like it myself. But whatever it would be called, someone won't like it.
 

at least it's not called Captain Jack Sparrow or whatever crappy name Kona gave their CX bikes.

The outlaws live in Brighton. Perhaps the next visit might have some benefit...

Avatar
captain_slog replied to Beecho | 7 years ago
1 like
Beecho wrote:

at least it's not called Captain Jack Sparrow

I'd ride that. Bandana, goatee ... Pantani stylee!

Avatar
Dom replied to Beecho | 7 years ago
0 likes
Beecho wrote:
imajez wrote:
hsiaolc wrote:

But on the serious side.  I just think the name is wrong for a bike. Shame. 

I like it myself. But whatever it would be called, someone won't like it.
 

at least it's not called Captain Jack Sparrow or whatever crappy name Kona gave their CX bikes.

The outlaws live in Brighton. Perhaps the next visit might have some benefit...

Hi Beecho,

Come and see us and borrow a bike for a couple of hours if you find yourself down Brighton way : ]

Dom | Mason Cycles.

Avatar
Dom replied to imajez | 7 years ago
0 likes
imajez wrote:
hsiaolc wrote:

But on the serious side.  I just think the name is wrong for a bike. Shame. 

I like it myself. But whatever it would be called, someone won't like it.
 

Very true imajez, but much better to get a reaction to the name rather than come up with something that is a bit meh and forgettable.

Dom | Mason Cycles.

Avatar
hsiaolc replied to Darkhairedlord | 7 years ago
0 likes
Darkhairedlord wrote:

Bukake

 

Funny. 

 

But on the serious side.  I just think the name is wrong for a bike. Shame. 

Avatar
atlaz replied to hsiaolc | 7 years ago
0 likes
Quote:

650b wheelset, a French wheel standard that has been resurrected by the industry, most prominently with the Cannondale Slate from last year.

Or on a large proportion of mountainbikes replacing 26" wheels. 

Avatar
StraelGuy | 7 years ago
1 like

Because it looks cooler as frig! Ahem, it gives a cleaner aesthetic yes.

Avatar
Nick Forster | 7 years ago
0 likes

Nice looking bike. I'm not especially up to speed on non-MTB discs, but what's the benefit of running the brake line inside the fork?

Avatar
Dom replied to Nick Forster | 7 years ago
0 likes
Nick Forster wrote:

Nice looking bike. I'm not especially up to speed on non-MTB discs, but what's the benefit of running the brake line inside the fork?

Hi Nick,

Thanks very much. Running the brake line inside helps to tuck it neatly out of the way of anything that might snag or damage it, it also picks up less clag and makes the bike easier to clean and yes, it also gives a cleaner aesthetic : ]

Dom | Mason Cycles.

Avatar
Jimthebikeguy.com | 7 years ago
1 like

Its just a beautiful thing and oddly enough i keep wondering how it would fare with 650b knobblies in all the cx races i do.... All that lovely bump damping and tire squish. Not its intended purpose obvs. But..

Avatar
Dom replied to Jimthebikeguy.com | 7 years ago
0 likes
jterrier wrote:

Its just a beautiful thing and oddly enough i keep wondering how it would fare with 650b knobblies in all the cx races i do.... All that lovely bump damping and tire squish. Not its intended purpose obvs. But..

Hi jterrier,

Thanks very much indeed : ]

I think the 650b's would go very well in the harder-packed, dryer, faster races. tHey were super-fast on the singletrack at the weekend. They might also float across the top better in the wetter races, although sometimes it's best to cut through to the harder stuff underneath with a narrow CX tyre : /  Claggy sticky mud would certainly add a few lbs witht he 50mm 650b's though!

Dom | Mason Cycles.

Avatar
therevokid | 7 years ago
1 like

oh dammit ... there goes the other kidney then ...  3

Avatar
Dom replied to therevokid | 7 years ago
0 likes
therevokid wrote:

oh dammit ... there goes the other kidney then ...  3

Hi therevokid : ]

You must have used up most of your vital organs by now!

Dom | Mason Cycles.

Avatar
keirik | 7 years ago
1 like

Love it, but a lot of money to pay for a bike without trying it first, and Brighton's a long way from Chester for a test ride!

Pages

Latest Comments