Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Should good cyclists do more to stop bad cyclists

I'm a regular cycle commuter in London and like everyone else, I witness bad, inconsiderate and sometimes dangerous cycling of others on a regular basis. Typical examples such as cycling through red lights, dangerous manoeuvres, not generally looking before turning and cycling fast down pedestrianised areas. I'm talking about 5% of cyclists here who out and out think they're above the rules of the road or just don't care for them, not the other 95% who cycle respectfully with due care and attention like i imagine probably most people who venture on this website do.

As we all know, rightly or wrongly the 5% fuel the negative and misconstrued views towards cycling .

Is it time the responsible cyclists stood up to the bad cyclists? Actually tell them what they're doing is detrimental for the rest of us. I know its not our responsibility to do this, but i see these morons flying through red lights and pedestrian crossings and get away with it. Maybe if the other cyclists who witness this actually tell them its not cool or call them a "red light dodging w******r" then maybe some of them would stop and help pave way for better cycling/car relations.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

65 comments

Paul_C | 10 years ago
0 likes

whenever I've suggested to stealth cyclists I've met along my commute after sunset or before sunrise that they should get some lights, I've usually been met with abuse...

Scoob_84 replied to Paul_C | 10 years ago
0 likes
Paul_C wrote:

whenever I've suggested to stealth cyclists I've met along my commute after sunset or before sunrise that they should get some lights, I've usually been met with abuse...

...but some of those cyclists may reflect on their encounter with you and subsequently change their ways.

downfader | 10 years ago
0 likes

I've had the odd grumble at people myself, but in reality we're not the Police.

When idiots spout "get your own house in order" they are completely wrong. They are attempting to make lawful riders feel somehow collective guilt for another individual's actions. The best we can actually do is write to the Police and formally notify them of problem areas. I've also done this (for driving as well as cycling) with my local MP and councillors - the more of us who do this will mean a greater chance of change.

I also wonder if the attitudes of drivers sometimes contributes to people riding in a way in which they wouldn't normally. There have been a raft of rather strong anti-cyclist letters and articles in my local paper recently (The Southern Daily Echo) and I think this does not lead to a feeling of inclusion. Some might even say "dammit, if you keep treating me as if I'm a criminal perhaps its safer if I act like one?"

Just speculation, but you get my point

a.jumper | 10 years ago
0 likes

Yes but what we should do is push for and support more traffic police to enforce laws against ALL road users without bias of type. By all means comment socially that anti social cycling isn't cool, but please stop short of vigilante action.

If you haven't already, try to help www.roadjustice.org.uk

Scoob_84 replied to a.jumper | 10 years ago
0 likes

oh I'm not proposing vigilante action here, just a bit of verbal, so that the wrong doer gets the vibe that his fellow cyclist don't approve of his actions either and might think twice next time.

Pages

Latest Comments