Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Touring Wheels

Hi

I was wondering what people would recommend for some reasonably budget touring wheels - should I go with bottom of range CX wheels? I'm looking for 28 or 30mm tire width, not worried about weight, it's not for racing. More important that they're durable and weight bearing so 28 or 32 spokes on rear wheel.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

rainman onwheels | 9 years ago
0 likes

dt swiss rr585 rims are pretty mega. I have them on my tandem and they are still running true after a fair bit of agro. 585 grams each though so not light  1

keef66 replied to rainman onwheels | 9 years ago
0 likes

Have a look on Spa Cycles website; they cater for the tourist / audax rider. I'm sure if you phone them and describe what you want them for they'll advise accordingly. (I'm considering them for some repairable winter wheels with a hub dynamo)

Airzound | 9 years ago
0 likes

Handbuilt wheels, Shimano 105 hubs on Mavic A719 36 hole rims, DT Swiss or Sapim SS DB spokes. These should out live you. I have assumed it is 700c wheels you are after. If 26" then try Rigidi Andra rims again 36 holes and good hub such as Shimano XT.

HTH.

7thGalaxy | 9 years ago
0 likes

Region is Wiltshire if anyone has recommendations?

SamShaw | 9 years ago
0 likes

Another vote for a local wheelbuilder, if you're looking for something proper then handbuilt is the way to go, you'll get something specific to your needs and it'll be able to be serviced/spokes/rims replaced as necessary.

MKultra | 9 years ago
0 likes

New old stock Shimano hubs are the way forward.

STXC/Deore/LX/XT anything mid to late 90's dependent on how many sprockets you want, on a good rim with stainless spokes it will be cheapish and fairly bombproof, plus you can replace odd spokes your self if you need to.

If you have road OLN then 105's of the period are nigh on identical.

Flying Scot | 9 years ago
0 likes

You should find a local wheelbuilder and ask for advice, they wont be any more expensive than factory built wheels and they will be 'yours' and usually have free true ups for the life of the rims.

If you say which region you are in, I'm sure you will get some recommendation's.

I use 'Big Al' Wheelcraft myself, have done for 25 years, other people round my way (central Scotland) do the same or use Derek at Wheelsmith.

Ambrosio rims are a favourite in this application, but your local guy will know best

Latest Comments