Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Standard clincher tyres?

Hi All

I am sorry for posting such a simple thread but I am new to cycling myself and am looking to replace the tyres on the bike I inherited lately. Trouble is, I am not sure what replacement tyres to buy.

The wheels I am running are Shimano R5OO Clinchers and the tyres that have been in place are Vittoria Zaffiros.

I was looking at getting some Vittoria Open Corsa but I did a webchat with Wiggle and they told me that I need standard clincher tyres rather than open clinchers. Problem is, when I have looked around I can't find many tyres that are marked up as standard clinchers. Was the chat correct?

Can any of you experienced cyclists give me a helping hand?

I am ideally looking for quite sporty tyres as I have a hybrid bike for commuting so this is just for my fun bike at weekends.

Cheers!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

21 comments

Batchy | 8 years ago
0 likes

OK! Just to say that you can also get Road CCs official opinions regarding Lithion 2s if you trawl through this site. Personally if there was only one make of tyre available I would be happy to use them just to be able to go cycling, regardless of comfort and expense, though I may not be able to afford a café stop ! Just pump up your rubber and go, that's all there is to it ! Amen !

st33lisr3al | 8 years ago
0 likes
mike the bike | 8 years ago
0 likes

Personally I don't much care which rubber the OP chooses in his search for a fairly sporty tyre, it's his money. But by golly, there's a heap of folk on here who get really wound up when offering advice.
He needs to look at the problem with a dispassionate eye. And if he does that, including reading all the internet and magazine reviews he can lay hands on, he will find that the clear winner in comparative tests over the last five years has been the Schwalbe Ultremo ZX. All the reviewers praise its grip, rolling resistance, puncture proofing and longevity; I have never read a bad word about it. No other tyre comes close in the battle of the independent reviews.

And the beauty is, it's being replaced by the "One" and is widely available at a discount.

Simon E | 8 years ago
0 likes

Defensive? Sorry, no.

I suspect you are reading too much into my suggestions.

fukawitribe replied to Simon E | 8 years ago
0 likes
Simon E wrote:

Defensive? Sorry, no.

I suspect you are reading too much into my suggestions.

Apologies if so, with your comment coming after Batchys I probably did - I think mine was aimed more at him anyway. Point taken.

Toro Toro | 8 years ago
0 likes

You all must understand that anybody who buys a different product from Batchy, especially if it costs more than Batchy spent, is Wasting ! Their ! Money !

Batchy knows every product on the market, and has the definitive optimum price/quality point worked out, not just for his budget and preferences, and riding style, but for yours too. Because there is only one way; the Batchy way.

All hail Batchy ! Batchy is not-at-all a tedious one-note spendthrift ! Duplicate Batchy's bike exactly !

vonhelmet | 8 years ago
0 likes

Lithion 2s are perfectly serviceable tyres. I've used them on my winter bike for a good while. I've recently swapped to some cheap Vittorias, but only because I had the frame powder coated in red and yellow tyres would have looked rubbish... I'd go back to red Lithion 2s in time, though.

Batchy | 8 years ago
0 likes

Right lets get things straight ! Michelin Lithium 2 ! Cheap, durable, comfortable, reasonably light, roll well, look good ! Why pay more unless you are racing !

fukawitribe replied to Batchy | 8 years ago
0 likes
Batchy wrote:

Right lets get things straight ! Michelin Lithium 2 ! Cheap, durable, comfortable, reasonably light, roll well, look good ! Why pay more unless you are racing !

Because ! Although they're OK-ish ! And great value for money ! There are alternatives !

Simon E replied to fukawitribe | 8 years ago
0 likes
fukawitribe wrote:
Batchy wrote:

Because ! Although they're OK-ish ! And great value for money ! There are alternatives !

I've found that the usual budget alternatives - Schwalbe Lugano (yuck), Vittoria Rubino wired model etc - are no match for the Lithion 2 for either comfort or confidence/grip in the wet. It's certainly the best value tyre I've tried, and very similar to the Pro4 Endurance I am using now, while the others just feel wooden and 'cheap'.

fukawitribe replied to Simon E | 8 years ago
0 likes
Simon E wrote:
fukawitribe wrote:
Batchy wrote:

I've found that the usual budget alternatives - Schwalbe Lugano (yuck), Vittoria Rubino wired model etc - are no match for the Lithion 2 for either comfort or confidence/grip in the wet. It's certainly the best value tyre I've tried, and very similar to the Pro4 Endurance I am using now, while the others just feel wooden and 'cheap'.

Sheesh guys, calm down, no-one was saying that Lithions weren't good value - it's just that you don't have to spend a whole lot of money to get arguably some very good tyres. More, yes, but it's often worth it and the difference is often fairly pitiful in the scheme of things.

There are plenty of good alternatives at all different price points that would probably be suitable for the OP, some of which previous posts were suggesting - no need to get so defensive or suggest (as Batchy did) that there is only one choice. I'm sure with enough information the OP can make their own value judgement.

Batchy replied to fukawitribe | 8 years ago
0 likes
fukawitribe wrote:
Simon E wrote:
fukawitribe wrote:
Batchy wrote:

Sheesh guys, calm down, no-one was saying that Lithions weren't good value - it's just that you don't have to spend a whole lot of money to get arguably some very good tyres. More, yes, but it's often worth it and the difference is often fairly pitiful in the scheme of things.

There are plenty of good alternatives at all different price points that would probably be suitable for the OP, some of which previous posts were suggesting - no need to get so defensive or suggest (as Batchy did) that there is only one choice. I'm sure with enough information the OP can make their own value judgement.

Well for f__k sake are'nt I allowed to have an opinion ? You lot need to get out more !
I also think that Continue Gatorskins are brilliant but they are more than twice the price of Lithion 2s. When you are on a pension this issue is quite important. IMO ( please, oh go on ) I can afford to ride loads of miles on my Lithions and eat shed loads of cake !

fukawitribe replied to Batchy | 8 years ago
0 likes
Batchy wrote:

Well for f__k sake are'nt I allowed to have an opinion ?

Of course, but when that opinion seems to be 'listen to me, use this' it's perhaps not the most useful. Can we stop this noise now and let the OP get some advise from others ?

gregster04 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the replies.

I couldn't see any reason why the tyres wouldn't fit so was just a bit confused with the info I got from Wiggle.

In answer to some of the questions:
-I am not going to be racing but I am improving as a cyclist quite quickly and have done 3 sportives so far this summer. I would be looking at doing a 60 mile ride at a weekend out in the Pennines or Dales.
-I suppose as I am improving, I am looking at getting some nicer stuff (upgrades) without breaking the Bank just yet.
-I essentially picked the Open Corsa as they sounded good and I could get red trim on them to go with the bike!
-I normally carry a spare tube and pump with me so not afraid of having to do the odd repair although I wouldn't want to be doing it every week.

I will have a look at the GP400s and the Open Paves etc and make a decision.

Cheers

flyingpitman | 8 years ago
0 likes

It all depends on how much you want to spend.
Vredestein Fortezza tri-comps are decent tyres but you don't get great mileage out of them.In my experience about 1,500 miles They are excellent for puncture resisitance.
Schwalbe Durano s tyres are good quicker rolling wise than the Vredestein's but I punctured more with these, mileage was about 2,000miles.If you can afford a bit more Continental GP400 S 11 Folding tyres are the best I have used for rolling and puncture resistance.I am not sure of mileage yet but have over 1,000 miles on them and still look great.Folding tyres are more expensive but softer and easier to put on the rim.Oh and I try and rotate my tyres every 500 mile or so

KirinChris | 8 years ago
0 likes

The above is correct - Open Corsas are just clincher versions of tubular tyres so they will work.

I use them and love them - they are a sweet ride, as good as a tubular especially when paired with latex tubes. The SC with the tan sidewalls are also beautiful.

However... what are you using them for?

Open Corsas are not what I would recommend for general everyday use.

The puncture resistance is average but in the choice between supple, fast and durable you only get to pick two. I use mine only on my racing wheels and I would expect to go through two sets in a year.

If you want to use Vittoria (they are my favourite tyres) I would suggest the TriComp or QuadComp for a good everyday/training tyre.

fukawitribe replied to KirinChris | 8 years ago
0 likes
abudhabiChris wrote:

The above is correct - Open Corsas are just clincher versions of tubular tyres so they will work.

I use them and love them - they are a sweet ride, as good as a tubular especially when paired with latex tubes. The SC with the tan sidewalls are also beautiful.

However... what are you using them for?

Open Corsas are not what I would recommend for general everyday use.

The puncture resistance is average but in the choice between supple, fast and durable you only get to pick two. I use mine only on my racing wheels and I would expect to go through two sets in a year.

If you want to use Vittoria (they are my favourite tyres) I would suggest the TriComp or QuadComp for a good everyday/training tyre.

Second everything said about Open Corsas, but Tricomp and Quadcomp ?.. not familiar with them, not thinking about Vredestein are you ? (Tricomps are also lovely supple tyres, not tried the Quattro).

Vittoria Open Paves are also a good bet for general use tyres in the UK IMO, lovely ride and very grippy with pretty decent puncture resistance.

KirinChris replied to fukawitribe | 8 years ago
0 likes

Yes, Vredestein... getting confused. They are the other tyres I tend to use for everyday.

kwi | 8 years ago
0 likes

AFAIK Vittoria (And others.) use open to indicate it's not tubular, ie it's a tubular that has been opened to make a clincher. So open corsas will be grand.

2 Wheeled Idiot | 8 years ago
0 likes

Clinchers means that there is a raised ridge part on the edge of the tyre that "hooks/locks" into the hook of the rim , this is what actually holds the tyres on under pressure.
Tubulars on the other hand are just glued onto a plain rim and rely on glue strength and tyres pressure to stay on.
An open clincher is a completely new thing to me but if it says clincher, it will work on your wheels. I think what the wiggle person may have meant is open tubular. This is when a tubular casing has a clincher bead part attached to it to make it a standard clincher, just with a better (higher tpi) tire casing.
Long story short, the Vittoria open corsa will work with your wheels .

ChuckB | 8 years ago
0 likes

these days tyres are either tubular or clincher, you should be fine with any clincher tyre. the wheels you have are bog standard and don't need anything unique

Latest Comments