Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

ARVC Is there anyone out there cycling with this condition ?

To cut a long story short. After having had two serious attacks of VT (Ventricular tachycardia) and having to be cardioverted each time. I have now been informed that I have a genetic heart condition called Arrhythmogenic Right Ventricular Cardiomyopathy  - ARVC. This condition can lead to sudden death especially whilst undertaking vigorous exercise. I am due to be fitted with an IDC pacemaker. This is an upgrade from my current device that controls/paces my heart block. Are there any cyclists out there that have ARVC and have an ICD implanted. If so how has this affected their Cycling and way of life. I am 67years old and up until last December was riding on average 150 miles per week at average 15 mph. 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

20 comments

Batchy | 6 years ago
0 likes

Hi Welsh Boy

Further to your post. When your ICD fires off do you surrender your driving licence? It is a 6 months disqualification by law in the UK .

Welsh boy replied to Batchy | 6 years ago
0 likes

Batchy wrote:

Hi Welsh Boy

Further to your post. When your ICD fires off do you surrender your driving licence? It is a 6 months disqualification by law in the UK .

yes, when it goes off I have to surrender my licence for 6 months. It is a bit of a bummer when it goes off again a few weeks before you are due to get your licence back. The last time I surrendered my licence it took the Dvla about 8 months to return my licence but there is a clause in the road traffic act which says that you can drive when they are processing your case if your consultant says you are ok to drive at the end of the 6 months.

Welsh boy | 6 years ago
0 likes

I had an ICD fitted about 6 years ago at the age of 50 (but for hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, another usually fatal condition where the heart goes into fibrillation which as my consultant said is a rythem not compatible with life) and have been on beta blockers and asprin ever since.

As a result i cannot push my pulse rate too high so i have had to make several adjustments to my riding, i can no longer punch up hills or chase people i see in the ditance, instead i have to drop a gear on the hills and let people ride away from me rather than chase them down.  Having ridden at internation level for several years this was a very hard adjustment to make but i came to terms with it on the basis that i would rather modify how i rode rather than either (a) die or (b) not ride at all.

The effects of the beta blockers is that my cardio output is reduced a little so i am not as energetic as i used to be and i feel the cold something terrible, i almost always have cold hands and feet apart from 2 weeks a year when we go for a holiday in the Med.

When the defib does go off it hurts, it hurts a lot (luckilly ever time mine has gone off i have been in bed) but at least it is doing the job it is designed to do.  Once you are over the physical effects of the operation (which will probably take longer than your consultant tells you as they filled me with antibiotics from a drip before the operation which left me as flat as a pancake for a long time) you will have the mental adjustment to make, some days i do wonder if i was lucky to survive the incident or not.  Obviously this is just a phase where i am feling a bit low and sorry for myself, of course i was lucky to survive and i am enjoying a good quality of life since being resucussitated and put back together.  My advice to you would be get back on your bike as soon as you can, enjoy short gentle rides as soon as possible and be greatful for every ride you can do, there is no point in them sorting you out if you dont get back to a normal life again.

Do you know if you will be on beta blockers or something like amiodorone to regulate your herat rythem?  I found both gave me very bad nightmares (to the point where i didnt think that i would be able to continue taking them) but these do ease, i found that the nightmares reduced in duration and the time between them increased, now i have a spell of maybe 4 or 5 nights of nightmares every 5 or 6 weeks which i just put up with, i can cope with that but when i didnt know if they were going to be a permanent part of my life they were very difficult to deal with.

I hope you have a successful operation and speedy recovery and if you ever want to drop me an email (it sometimes help to unload on someone who isnt a family member) and chat with someone who has gone through a similar experience drop me a line at stephen.bulpitt [at] yahoo.com with a heading of ICD and i will be happy to help in any way i can.

Batchy replied to Welsh boy | 6 years ago
0 likes

Welsh boy wrote:

I had an ICD fitted about 6 years ago at the age of 50 (but for hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, another usually fatal condition where the heart goes into fibrillation which as my consultant said is a rythem not compatible with life) and have been on beta blockers and asprin ever since.

As a result i cannot push my pulse rate too high so i have had to make several adjustments to my riding, i can no longer punch up hills or chase people i see in the ditance, instead i have to drop a gear on the hills and let people ride away from me rather than chase them down.  Having ridden at internation level for several years this was a very hard adjustment to make but i came to terms with it on the basis that i would rather modify how i rode rather than either (a) die or (b) not ride at all.

The effects of the beta blockers is that my cardio output is reduced a little so i am not as energetic as i used to be and i feel the cold something terrible, i almost always have cold hands and feet apart from 2 weeks a year when we go for a holiday in the Med.

When the defib does go off it hurts, it hurts a lot (luckilly ever time mine has gone off i have been in bed) but at least it is doing the job it is designed to do.  Once you are over the physical effects of the operation (which will probably take longer than your consultant tells you as they filled me with antibiotics from a drip before the operation which left me as flat as a pancake for a long time) you will have the mental adjustment to make, some days i do wonder if i was lucky to survive the incident or not.  Obviously this is just a phase where i am feling a bit low and sorry for myself, of course i was lucky to survive and i am enjoying a good quality of life since being resucussitated and put back together.  My advice to you would be get back on your bike as soon as you can, enjoy short gentle rides as soon as possible and be greatful for every ride you can do, there is no point in them sorting you out if you dont get back to a normal life again.

Do you know if you will be on beta blockers or something like amiodorone to regulate your herat rythem?  I found both gave me very bad nightmares (to the point where i didnt think that i would be able to continue taking them) but these do ease, i found that the nightmares reduced in duration and the time between them increased, now i have a spell of maybe 4 or 5 nights of nightmares every 5 or 6 weeks which i just put up with, i can cope with that but when i didnt know if they were going to be a permanent part of my life they were very difficult to deal with.

I hope you have a successful operation and speedy recovery and if you ever want to drop me an email (it sometimes help to unload on someone who isnt a family member) and chat with someone who has gone through a similar experience drop me a line at stephen.bulpitt [at] yahoo.com with a heading of ICD and i will be happy to help in any way i can.

Hi Welsh Boy

I too have unbelievable vivid dreams almost every night due to the beta blockers. I have had to reduce the dosage down to 2.5mgs. per day otherwise I can't function  on a higher dose. That's probably because my heart rate is still only 60bpm and that is only thanks to the pacemaker. It used to be around 40bpm 4years ago and I suffered from heart block before my VT episodes and ARVC diagnosis. Recent research now suggests that heart block may be a precursor to ARVC. Heart block is not an uncommon condition in highly trained athletes so if any of you out there have this condition just take care.

0 likes

Welsh boy wrote:

Hi Welsh Boy

I too have unbelievable vivid dreams almost every night due to the beta blockers. I have had to reduce the dosage down to 2.5mgs. per day otherwise I can't function  on a higher dose. That's probably because my heart rate is still only 60bpm and that is only thanks to the pacemaker. It used to be around 40bpm 4years ago and I suffered from heart block before my VT episodes and ARVC diagnosis. Recent research now suggests that heart block may be a precursor to ARVC. Heart block is not an uncommon condition in highly trained athletes so if any of you out there have this condition just take care.

0 likes

Welsh boy wrote:

Hi Welsh Boy

Welsh boy replied to Batchy | 6 years ago
0 likes

Batchy wrote:

Welsh boy wrote:

Hi Welsh Boy

I am on 10mg daily and I am paced at 40bpm, initially my pacing was set to 60 but this made me feel very agitated and could never rest so once my consultant understood why my resting pulse was so low he dropped my pacing threshold and I felt much better. It was slightly amusing when I was in hospital to keep setting the alarm off because my pulse was so low but it wasn’t so amusing when I kept setting the alarm off when it hit 200 plus when I went into vf just before I shut down.

The Bird | 6 years ago
0 likes

Hi Batchy; thanks and apologies - I have only just seen your reply.

Like you, my intentions are to have the ICD fitted and see how I get on.

That said I am really missing the thrill of mountain biking and, as ZZK suggests, have had moments of "well surely i'd be better off undertaking moderate exercise rather than becoming a couch potatoe". So, I too have looked to the power assist route as a way to keep going, but the technical downhill may still be a no no as my HR is likley to be elevated through adrenaline if not the exertion, and that is the bit I really love.

All the best.

Batchy replied to The Bird | 6 years ago
0 likes

The Bird wrote:

Hi Batchy; thanks and apologies - I have only just seen your reply.

Like you, my intentions are to have the ICD fitted and see how I get on.

That said I am really missing the thrill of mountain biking and, as ZZK suggests, have had moments of "well surely i'd be better off undertaking moderate exercise rather than becoming a couch potatoe". So, I too have looked to the power assist route as a way to keep going, but the technical downhill may still be a no no as my HR is likley to be elevated through adrenaline if not the exertion, and that is the bit I really love.

All the best.

Hi Bird

I have had my ICD for 12months now and have not had any problems so far with limiting my exercise to brisk walking. I am still considering the E bike option, however my pacemaker clinician has advised me that I should never go out alone should I start any form of cycling again. I have not turned a pedal for 14 months now and I have just about got my head round this. The main problem is weight gain I have put on 20lbs  which is not good . Hope everything turns out OK for you. At least on the bright side I'm still alive !

zzk | 6 years ago
1 like

As a senior Doctor, me and my colleagues are often asked impossible questions, where evidence is lacking or based on extremes. As a competitive athlete I certainly interpret the data with a pinch of salt. There is no doubt about the relationship of cardiac issues and endurance sports men/ women (perhaps less so). There is also no doubt once you have an electrical/ structural issue with the heart, extreme exertion can make it worse, even to the extent of resulting in premature death.

Where things start getting murky and somewhat unknown are the impact of low/ moderate intensity exercise (social riding). I personally find it hard to comprehend that this could be more harmful than sitting on your backside, drinking coffee (be careful now), eating cake and waiting for my next dysrhythmia while watching TV. There also the issue of cardiac deconditioning in trained athletes. 

As such Batchy, I am sure the advice you receive will be conservative at best and "safe". Your days of HIIT and chain gangs may be over, but if I were you, I'd keep my bike, avoid the big hills, cruise around and enjoy the lanes and fresh air when the sun is shining, without breaking a sweat. If an e-bike allows more freedom and to ride with more able friends then it may be an investment worth making. It may sound harsh and it comes down to personal choice, but neither me nor the wife will be disappointed if my last hours are spent doing what I love. 

Good luck, take it steady and ultimately doctors can guide, but only you can decide.

Batchy replied to zzk | 6 years ago
1 like

zzk wrote:

As a senior Doctor, me and my colleagues are often asked impossible questions, where evidence is lacking or based on extremes. As a competitive athlete I certainly interpret the data with a pinch of salt. There is no doubt about the relationship of cardiac issues and endurance sports men/ women (perhaps less so). There is also no doubt once you have an electrical/ structural issue with the heart, extreme exertion can make it worse, even to the extent of resulting in premature death.

Where things start getting murky and somewhat unknown are the impact of low/ moderate intensity exercise (social riding). I personally find it hard to comprehend that this could be more harmful than sitting on your backside, drinking coffee (be careful now), eating cake and waiting for my next dysrhythmia while watching TV. There also the issue of cardiac deconditioning in trained athletes. 

As such Batchy, I am sure the advice you receive will be conservative at best and "safe". Your days of HIIT and chain gangs may be over, but if I were you, I'd keep my bike, avoid the big hills, cruise around and enjoy the lanes and fresh air when the sun is shining, without breaking a sweat. If an e-bike allows more freedom and to ride with more able friends then it may be an investment worth making. It may sound harsh and it comes down to personal choice, but neither me nor the wife will be disappointed if my last hours are spent doing what I love. 

Good luck, take it steady and ultimately doctors can guide, but only you can decide.

Hi ZZK

Thanks for your valuable and professional input. To some extent you may have a valid point regarding light exercise. For me at this moment in time I have to make do with brisk walking until I figure out a safe threshold. However other considerations have to be taken into account as beta blockers can cause some unpleasant side effects, depending on how high the dosage one is on, such as extreme fatigue in the legs and a feeling that you have the "brakes" sticking on at all times.

My last VT episode happened when I was ambling along doing only 12mph on the flat through town. Fortunately the ambulance station was only five minutes away and that I was not halfway up Kirkstone pass.

Unfortunately there just is not enough information available regarding ARVC and some cardiomyopathies  ( especially to patients ) as these  conditions have only relatively recently  been acknowledged, so research is still limited.  Most GPs do not know what ARVC is and I had to explain my condition to both GPs I have seen at my local surgery. Also the depressing psychological experiences that patients have to overcome once they have been diagnosed with these conditions can sometimes feel more debilitating than the condition.

Batchy | 6 years ago
0 likes

Hi Bird

Sorry to hear that you have just joined the very exclusive ARVC club. I am sure that you are well informed about this condition as you have had previous symptoms of cardiomyopathy.

From what you have said it seems to me that have probably had ARVC all along. My first symptoms started about four years ago when I was diagnosed with heart block and had a pacemaker fitted. This did not affect my cycling and I assumed that this was all there was to it. However new research now suggests that heart block can be a pre curser to ARVC. In December 2015 whilst cycling I had a sustained VT ( 230bpm) and was blue lighted to A&E Lancaster and cardioverted back to my regular 50 bpm. I then spent 4 days in Blackpool Victoria Hospital undergoing tests and angiogram. Nothing conclusive came of this so I was put on beta blockers and sent home. After six weeks I was back out on the bike and all seemed reasonably well until December of 2016 when a repeat of the aforementioned VT episode happened. On both occasions I have Lancaster Royal Infirmary A&E to thank for saving my life with just minutes to spare. I then had an ablation procedure and in February this year I had an " up grade " ICD pacemaker implanted when my cardiologist suggested that I had ARVC.

ARVC has been known to affect athletes especially those in their 20s and 30s and can cause sudden death during exercise. James Taylor the young England and Notts cricketer had to retire recently due to ARVC. Fabrice Muamba the Bolton Wanderers footballer almost died on the pitch due to Hypotrophic Cardiomyopathy ( HTC) a similar condition ARVC.

We are lucky in certain respects as our inherited conditions did not affect us until later in life.

I have to be positive regarding my implanted ICD. It may well save my life at some point and it has become my best friend. The ICD does not feel strange as I have had a standard pacemaker for some time and therefore the procedure and sensation is just the same. It has not, up to press, intervened or fired off but I am sure that the sensation when it does cannot be any worse than being cardioverted without sedation, an experience that I have already had to endure.

The real bummer now is that vigorous exercise is not really an option. ARVC is a condition that can be exacerbated by vigorous exercise leading to further thinning of the right ventricular wall leading to further dilation and the production of scar tissue that causes the "short circuit" of electrical impulses that keep the heart beating at a normal pace. 

Having and ICD implanted to rectify and control VT means that I have had my driving licence revoked for six months and this has been like having  salt rubbed into my wound. However I am toying with the idea that an electric bike may well be the answer to not being able to cycle properly.

Cardiomyopathy UK could be useful for you as they offer group support . They are having an ARVC day on Saturday October 14 in Northolt, London. Unfortunately I live in the Lake District so this is not a viable option for me. Remember that your quality of life may have to be compromised. You may have to choose between quality and LIFE ! All the best . Batchy !

The Bird | 6 years ago
0 likes

Hi Batchy.

I have just been diagnosed with ARCV and been advised to have an ICD. I have actually known that I had a cardiomyopathy since 1989, but until now this was thought to be dilated cardiomyopathy. This manifested itself after I started doing triathlon when I was experiencing VT on exertion. Since then I have taken various beta blockers and anti arrythmic meds and also had 2 cardiac ablations. Despite intial advice that I would need to refrain from exercise, I did manage to train again and completed numerous triathlons and other endurance events. Since 2006, I have mainly cycled and mountain bike as well as ride with a road club. I do get VT still, but until now adopted the attitude to try to live within my limits and listen to my body.

This latest news has come as a blow, as it seems I will not be able to continue cycling, or at least not at the level which I would want.

I'd be really interested to hear how you got on or anyone else's experiences with an ICD. Thanks

Batchy | 7 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for all of your replies folks. I fully understand my condition and I am awaiting an ICD implant and the implications that may arise. I was hoping to find someone on the Road CC forum that already has firsthand experience, as the information currently available regarding cycling is very limited and sketchy to say the least. I will no doubt receive a does and don'ts list from my cardiologist once the ICD is in and running. However a shared firsthand experience would probably give me more insight of what can be expected.  Not getting a reply regarding this situation probably tells me something. I am slowly coming to terms with the fact that cycling may not be the option that I have seriously enjoyed over many years. I suppose it is better to have cycled then never cycled before !

pablo | 7 years ago
0 likes

Your condition doesn't affect me but I did listen to a podcast recently (just before or after Christmas) where they talked about long time endurance athletes and heart conditions.  From memory long time endurance  athletes have a higher risk of electrical issues with their hearts.  

I believe the podcast was on velownews but can't see it in my feed anymore.  It included a heart specialist who works with athletes. Below is one of lennard zinns posts that links to some other articals.  I'm not sure if it all relates to your condition but hope it helps.

http://www.velonews.com/2016/01/bikes-and-tech/technical-faq/technical-f...

arfa | 7 years ago
1 like

Sorry to hear of your woes but presumably your cardiologist has advice on a max heart rate for you to stay under ? If so, how about a heart rate monitor/gps with an alarm just below the level ?
On long rides I focus on staying out of my "red zone" and monitor heart rate closely as a result. I don't know if this might be an option?

Jeffmcguinness | 7 years ago
1 like

Sorry - I can't help you but I do wish you all the best in looking for the right advice.  If you're ever in Northern Ireland I'll take you for a very easy cycle and a great coffee stop if that's allowed?  

Batchy replied to Jeffmcguinness | 7 years ago
0 likes

Jeffmcguinness wrote:

Sorry - I can't help you but I do wish you all the best in looking for the right advice.  If you're ever in Northern Ireland I'll take you for a very easy cycle and a great coffee stop if that's allowed?  

Thanks Jeff ! Once I get my head round the situation I'll be fine. An E bike may be the solution and I have been thinking in this direction. I was rather hoping that there may be someone out there that had first hand experience so that I could compare notes. Due to the severity of this condition it is likely that that brisk walking may well be the most or least dangerous exercise that I can undertake. Coincidentally the BBC News today is highlighting this heart condition and anyone who participates in vigorous exercise should take heed !

Mungecrundle | 7 years ago
4 likes

Controversially these days you actually need to listen to your cardiologist expert and take their advice. But if the gist is keep moving but don't over exert yourself then why not look at assisted bikes? There is at least one turns up occasionally at our club ride and made welcome.

Batchy | 7 years ago
0 likes

Well Batchy it looks like you're flogging a dead horse here Batchy. Or should that be cyclist !?

I suppose that this was always going to be the answer. I will more than likely have a couple of half decent bikes and a shed load of tools for sale in the near future ! But I'm sure going to miss the breeze in my face and sun on my back and the crack with my mates in the peloton !

Latest Comments