Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Strava PRs now meaningless! :(

I used to enjoy looking at Strava "achievements" after a ride - if I saw that I had ridden up a sizeable hill faster than I ever had before, it gave me encouragement that my fitness might be improving.

Unfortunately Strava have introduced a new "feature" where you get given a PR "achievement" whenever you ride a segment for the first time. Given that I like to try to explore new roads as often as possible, and I've had a pretty good try at most of the segments on my commute and favourite rides, this means that most of the "PRs" I get now are not PRs at all, but new segments. It used to be that if I got home and found my ride had loads of PRs, that I'd been riding significantly faster than usual, which is always encouraging. But now I've got totally bored of looking at "achievements" post-ride because most of them are meaningless. It also means I don't give Kudos to friends when they get lots of PRs for the same reason.

Anyone else bothered by this? I'm considering turning off segment matching for future rides.

Nobody ever seriously said "I did my best time ever on that loop" the first time they rode it, did they?! What nonsense!

So for me, Strava has lost a lot of its appeal due to one very silly little change. I strongly suspect that they have introduced this change for technical reasons rather than to improve user experience.

If you fancy telling Strava that you think this is dumb too, see here:

https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/115000625890-PR-achi...

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

29 comments

TheFatAndTheFurious | 6 years ago
0 likes

The Stravistix plug-in lets you see how each segment time compares to your PB and Year PB, and if it's the first time you've ridden a segment, it just shows "1X" in those stats.

So ignore the little summary at top and scroll down to the segment list and see how many green (i.e. PB) times you get in the deltaPR column.

2tommy2 | 6 years ago
0 likes

I use strava more or less as a social-network-boasting-thing

When I want know if I'm improving I use the km-avgHR-avgSpeed-thing

If I get 20 to 30 PR's on a single recovery ride the system must be crooked anyhow  1

Kapelmuur | 6 years ago
2 likes

I started riding in my mid 60s and used Strava just to check my own rides and to enjoy the fact that during my first couple of years I was getting faster.    Nevertheless, I was always toward the bottom of the leaderboards so I paid for Premium membership so that I could compare myself with others in the 65+ age group.   It made me feel better to be in the top half of the table!

As I approached 70 I was unhappy with the fact that the age leaderboards stopped at 65, so I wrote to Strava suggesting 70+ leaderboards.   Nothing happened, so I cancelled my Premium membership.

Now I see that a 70+ option has been added, so they do listen.   (Not that I'm taking credit for the change).

DrG82 | 6 years ago
3 likes

The stupic sectors which take a very specific route and lead down dead ends to someones house irritate me. What's the point of having a KOM if only one person is ever likely to want to go that way?

I've had a search around my area to find silly sectors to try and steal these peoples KOMs just to annoy them.

And don't start me on sectors which rely on you either getting really really lucky or going through a load of red lights.

DaveE128 replied to DrG82 | 6 years ago
0 likes

DrG82 wrote:

The stupic sectors which take a very specific route and lead down dead ends to someones house irritate me. What's the point of having a KOM if only one person is ever likely to want to go that way?

I've had a search around my area to find silly sectors to try and steal these peoples KOMs just to annoy them.

And don't start me on sectors which rely on you either getting really really lucky or going through a load of red lights.

Assuming you mean segments, I agree on all fronts except the irritating bit! I think it's just amusing to "steal" the KoM!  3 I've no issue with people creating moderate obscure segments - many will never get a KoM any other way - but making them go through traffic lights etc is just stupid. I think you can flag segments like this.

There are a few near me called things like "last bit home" which shows that the person who created it has some combination of (a) no idea what a segment is, (b) zero ability to see anything from anyone else's perspective and/or (c) missed the option to make a segment private!

You can always hide the dumb segments...

What really gets my goat is people creating segments that start and stop in dumb places, and other schoolboy errors described here:

https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/articles/216918227-Optimizing-Segmen...

EddyBerckx | 6 years ago
6 likes

Can't see how this is that big a deal unless you're constantly doing new routes? Even then it's something you could get used to?

Lots of niggles with the Strava app and site (they are inconsistent with each other for one) but ultimately, the vast majority of people don't pay a penny towards it - you have a right to request they improve things, you have no right to moan unless you're paying them in my opinion.

wycombewheeler replied to EddyBerckx | 6 years ago
0 likes
StoopidUserName wrote:

Can't see how this is that big a deal unless you're constantly doing new routes? Even then it's something you could get used to?

Lots of niggles with the Strava app and site (they are inconsistent with each other for one) but ultimately, the vast majority of people don't pay a penny towards it - you have a right to request they improve things, you have no right to moan unless you're paying them in my opinion.

I often do new routes and when I do it's nice to see the overlaps with previous rides, but the only stand out from the chaff if you are slower.

DaveE128 replied to EddyBerckx | 6 years ago
0 likes

StoopidUserName wrote:

Can't see how this is that big a deal unless you're constantly doing new routes? Even then it's something you could get used to? Lots of niggles with the Strava app and site (they are inconsistent with each other for one) but ultimately, the vast majority of people don't pay a penny towards it - you have a right to request they improve things, you have no right to moan unless you're paying them in my opinion.

Yup, agreed about the payment thing. I've been a premium member for years now as I thought it was a service worth paying for, even if the premium features have limited value for me. It's now got to the point though that I'm frustrated enough with the direction they are going (not listening to users any more, mostly) that I've downgraded. This issue was the straw that broke the camel's back for me.

You don't actually even have to be doing new routes to get nonsense PRs - just someone somewhere created a new segment since you last rode it. I try to ride new roads as often as possible as I like to explore and get some variety.

Whether you do it often or not, it's still silly that when you go to a new place, every segment is a PR, even if you were riding slower than you ever have before.

fenix | 6 years ago
5 likes

Some people get worked up easily. It's not good for you. Go out for a ride.
Oh...

Crippledbiker | 6 years ago
2 likes

My main gripe with Strava is that, whilst I can flag my rides as handcycling, I have to go to the desktop version of the site to do it - and once I do, I lose every single segment, as they're not replicated from normal cycling!

I get why, we have to take slightly different routes in some places, but there simply aren't enough handcyclists out there to repopulate the segment data.

I'd leave them as normal cycle segments, but we've got very different performance profiles to two wheelers - on recumbents, we're more aero but with less watts, so whilst you're faster on the flat, we'll cane you absolutely silly on a descent - meaning that KOMs are essentially either impossible or laughably easy to get.
On uprights, we've got less power and we're about as aero as a brick, though. Heavy, too.

srchar | 6 years ago
3 likes

I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for them to act on user feedback. They've ignored a massive thread about undoing accidental kudos for four years now.

This stupid PR feature is intended to get newbies to stick with the platform, nothing else. Two fingers up to long-time users.

I no longer pay for premium because of their shit attitude.

abusivemonk | 6 years ago
0 likes

This is not the most annoying thing about Strava. Daily, I lose a KOM to someone in an ebike. I have to flag it constantly. Koms have become meaningless now with the event of ebikes.

srchar replied to abusivemonk | 6 years ago
2 likes

abusivemonk wrote:

This is not the most annoying thing about Strava. Daily, I lose a KOM to someone in an ebike. I have to flag it constantly. Koms have become meaningless now with the event of ebikes.

I keep losing KOMs to a bloody cabbie who puts his work day on their as a ride. You'd think they'd ban someone who has every single activity flagged.

eBikes are a pain in the arse for other reasons. Yesterday I was half-wheeled by a fat bloke on an eBike for a good 10km. He wouldn't pass or drop back. When I did eventually ease off enough for him to pass, the damn thing wasn't quick enough in the wind for me to stay behind.

They need a new name. They are not bikes.

Yorkshire wallet replied to srchar | 6 years ago
3 likes
srchar wrote:

Mopeds? Cheating bastards?

srchar replied to Yorkshire wallet | 6 years ago
10 likes

Yorkshire wallet wrote:
srchar wrote:

Aren't all bikes called eBikes up your way YW?

CygnusX1 replied to srchar | 6 years ago
4 likes
srchar wrote:

Yorkshire wallet wrote:
srchar wrote:

eBikeGum :#

The Rake replied to srchar | 6 years ago
2 likes

srchar wrote:

Yorkshire wallet wrote:
srchar wrote:

chapeau

Dnnnnnn replied to abusivemonk | 6 years ago
4 likes

abusivemonk wrote:

Is this what's called a "humblebrag"...?

abusivemonk replied to Dnnnnnn | 6 years ago
1 like
Duncann wrote:

abusivemonk wrote:

Is this what's called a "humblebrag"...?

Ha. I wish. I haven't got many, so I treasure the ones I have. I worked so hard to get my first one. Targeted it everytime I went for a ride for over two years.

andyp replied to abusivemonk | 6 years ago
3 likes

abusivemonk wrote:

'I have to flag it constantly'. No, you don't. You *choose* to flag it.

'Koms have become meaningless...' They always were. If you're that competitive, join a race.

alansmurphy | 6 years ago
1 like

Annoyed the shit out of me too!

Leviathan | 6 years ago
1 like

I guess you could say that a new segment is a PR by definition, but I can see what you mean. Strava are just encouraging people to ride, just maybe they are targeting other people not you. As long as it records your ride the core function is still there. I did suggest a while ago a blue flag or rosette or something else for new segments, that would be easy enough to do, but as usual most suggestions fall on deaf ears. Just keep riding.

simonmb replied to Leviathan | 6 years ago
5 likes

Leviathan wrote:

Strava are just encouraging people to ride...

It's not this. It's just more contemporary bullshit feeding the too many people in society who expect to be congratulated, rated, and lauded for everything they do.

HenHarrier | 6 years ago
3 likes

^It depends on what you use PRs for, I suppose. I see your point, but, playing devil's avocado (I'm not arsed either way) ^

'Devil's avocado' - made my evening  1

Chris Hayes replied to HenHarrier | 6 years ago
1 like

'Devil's avocado' - probably a millenial Freudian-slip! 

davel replied to Chris Hayes | 6 years ago
1 like
Chris Hayes wrote:

'Devil's avocado' - probably a millenial Freudian-slip! 

Millennial... I wish.

LastBoyScout | 6 years ago
5 likes

Well, as I once said to someone at the start of a race that neither of us had done before "Whatever you do today, it'll still be a personal best"!

HLaB | 6 years ago
0 likes

There a raft of negative comments on the strava forum, I've just echoed them.  When you first see them it is nice but then you realise your kidding yourself its a stupid change for the many reason posted.  I'm wanting to see I am actually getting fitter (i.e I was faster this time) and not just exploring a new route.  7

davel | 6 years ago
2 likes

It depends on what you use PRs for, I suppose. I see your point, but, playing devil's avocado (I'm not arsed either way), this now rewards new routes, rides and segments with loads of PRs, if you're into that sort of thing.

Bit of an incentive, as opposed to indifference, which is nice, no?

My wider feeling, though, is that Strava is disappearing up its own arse, and I'm not particularly keen on following it, so it pissing loyal users off is fine by me. I only really use it for the social stuff now, so I'm hoping a rival platform gets enough users to be a viable competitor.

Latest Comments