Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Campagnolo Record outer ring replacement

Hi,

I am looking to replace the 53t outer ring on my Campagnolo Record 10s chainset (year 2000) with a 50t one. I searched for information online, but I'm fairly new at this and I am still unsure which models are compatible, after reading about topics such as Campagnolo's comapact 112mm BCD and other compatibility issues experienced by others.

In my case, would I be able to fit any 5 arm 135 BCD 50t ring on my chainset or am I missing something? Recommendations for any specific 50t brands/model rings are appreciated.

Thank you.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

jpj84 | 4 years ago
0 likes

I'm not sure those comments are quite accurate: as far as I'm aware, all Campag 10 speed shifters/derailleurs are compatible with each other; whereas there are all sorts of compatibility issues between the 11 speed groups.

Eg3ftp1 | 4 years ago
0 likes

Yes, if you want to drop to a 50t big ring for that crankset, TA will be the only option I suspect. If this is a bike you like and want to keep going without nearby mechanics, it'll be worth getting the right BB tools and buying up any spares you see on eBay etc. Because campagnolo changed their BB standard, crankset design, ergo lever action, derailleur cable pull ratio, and basically everything so often from about 2000 to 2010 and going 11 speed, it's really hard to get the right spares. I gave up on my 2005 centaur ultra torque set and went to 11 speed chorus in the end. Whatever part I need, at least if it's campag and 11 speed I know it'll work as a swap-in replacement, which is not true of the 10 speed stuff.

Tortillaboy | 4 years ago
0 likes

@srchar: Thanks for the contact. I don't believe it's the one with a the crank arm bolt on a different BCD. It's the first 10s Campagnolo group; the chainset is the one shown here - http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=332060

@Eg3ftp1: Yes, it is the version with the bolt that goes into the back of the crank.

I wouldn't want to go on the replace the chainset route because I wanted to replace the chainring myself and it looked approachable for a beginer, compared to replacing the chainset (for which I don't even have the tools); There are no mechanics, at least none I know of, where I live (small city in Romania), but if swaping the chainset makes more sense then I will start reading/watching tutorials.

Another reason why I wanted to replace only the outer ring was because I wanted to keep the look and the group as close to original as possible since it is full Campagnolo Record. There were no 50t original Campagnolo outer rings or compact chainsets until a few years later from what I know, so the best compromise in my opinion would be to get a similar looking 50t Campagnolo compatible ring.

I've had this bike for 7 years now and it grew on me; I've done only about 12k miles on it and the only maintenance work I've done besides cleaning it every month is: chain replaced x3, cassette replaced x1 (also the reason why I want to replace the outer ring), bar tape, all cables, brake pads replaced. So far, I didn't have to replace the chain rings/crank, but I realised while writing that I might have to get to it anyway just to make sure the bottom braket is in good condition even if the bike runs smooth and it makes no noises whatsoever. 

srchar | 4 years ago
0 likes

Is that the version with the crank arm bolt on a different BCD? (112?).  If so, I think that was a few years after 2000.

OP, you may want to contact the font of all Campag knowledge, Graeme at Velotec on velotechcycling [at] aim.com

Eg3ftp1 | 4 years ago
0 likes

You will need to be careful which one you get from TA, the campag chainrings from that era have one bolt that goes into the back of the crank, and some needed a thinner section around that bolt hole to keep the ring rotating true. Worth taking the existing one of to check this first. Tbh, it can be cheaper and easier to get a full crankset new-old-stock or vgc on eBay. New 11 speed ones work fine with a 10 speed chain.

Tortillaboy | 4 years ago
0 likes

TA is what I was aiming for. Thanks for confirming srchar. 

srchar | 4 years ago
0 likes

112 BCD is 4-arm.

You have a 135 BCD 5-arm chainset, so you just need a 50T ring that fits it. TA are the usual default choice.

Latest Comments