I have seen a glimpse of the future

I have had a glimpse of the future.  I recently saw my mother in law laying in a hospital bed not knowing who she was or where she was.  She is 20 years older than me and I realised that in 20 years time that might be me.   That is 20 summers; 20 periods of warm evening rides; 20 more periods of cool morning rides turning into hot days riding along my favourite roads with friends for a coffee.  20.  Not many is it, not a nice glimpse of the future.

So I ordered a Di2 groupset.  I have spent the last 10 years since it first hit the market telling myself that it was not something I needed and that it was not for me.  All I can say is WOW!  What a difference.  Electronic gears, I have had a glimpse of the future, one day all gear changes will be this good.  I know it wont make me faster, I know it wont make me fitter and I know it wont make me more attractive to potential partners.  Neither did clipless pedals or compact bars but like cliples pedals and compact bars Di2 has made me happy.

But until that number 20 reaches zero and that hospital bed with my name on it becomes my mode of transport I will enjoy using my electronic gears and I will ignore the comments from people who say that it is rubbish/unnecessary/not real cycling because I have had a glimpse of the future (only 10 years behind the curve but hey ho!).

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Latest Comments