Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Tradie Cycling Jersey-Lifesaving camouflage

Here's something that's been around for a while.In its first iteration,it was very popular.

It's a cycling jersey cleverly designed to mimic the daily workwear of the salt of the earth,no nonsense Aussie tradesman,the younger versions of same being the cyclists worst enemy.

The detail impresses-even down to the Southern Cross Union badge on the shoulder.

I've road tested my own version of this outfit.I went even further and used a real tradie's Hi-Vis polo shirt and some MTB shorts that could pass for workwear.It worked so well I used it on all my commutes  up to and after retirement.They won't harm one of their own.

For the same reasons,I'd never wear any kind of arm or leg warmers.The humble tracksuit is much less offensive. Check out the article on BICYCLING AUSTRALIA.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

11 comments

Boatsie | 4 years ago
0 likes

Had to get some stainless from a marine shop today. Saw these.
$100 Aus. Single layer.
$180 Aus Ronstan model. 4 layers.
If needing an outer with winter maybe suit some.
Pretty bright. Comfortable. Water shouldn't pass neck, wrists nor waist (cycling).
Needing something similar soon to over wear a wet suit.

Organon | 4 years ago
1 like

Some "cyclists" are just motorists who don't have a  car. Darren the builder on his mountain bike, Karen with her pink jacket trundling out into the junction as the beeps are going. Jess the student, Mo the ubereats biker; go on all of you, go straight through the red light,it doesn't apply to you; when you finally have your car you will be able to go fast enough that you will hit all of them on green.

vonhelmet replied to Organon | 4 years ago
2 likes
Organon wrote:

Some "cyclists" are just motorists who don't have a  car. Darren the builder on his mountain bike, Karen with her pink jacket trundling out into the junction as the beeps are going. Jess the student, Mo the ubereats biker; go on all of you, go straight through the red light,it doesn't apply to you; when you finally have your car you will be able to go fast enough that you will hit all of them on green.

Some cyclists are gatekeepers.

Argus Tuft replied to vonhelmet | 4 years ago
0 likes

vonhelmet wrote:
Organon wrote:

Some cyclists are gatekeepers.

Well said,that man!

Spangly Shiny | 4 years ago
1 like

I seem to remember a Guardian article that looked into the POLITE vests and that the conclusion was that they elicited even closer passes. The only vest that caused a significant increase in passing space was your actual POLICE vest.

Apparently your average driver does not like to be taken for a mug and who can blame him/her.

kil0ran replied to Spangly Shiny | 4 years ago
0 likes

Spangly Shiny wrote:

I seem to remember a Guardian article that looked into the POLITE vests and that the conclusion was that they elicited even closer passes. The only vest that caused a significant increase in passing space was your actual POLICE vest.

Apparently your average driver does not like to be taken for a mug and who can blame him/her.

Yep, it was research by Dr Ian Walker - there'll be a link to it on this site somewhere.

The Polite gillets are popular with horse riders near me.

Given how rare it is to see a bobby I wonder what the risk would be of wearing one that actually said "Police"?

hawkinspeter replied to kil0ran | 4 years ago
0 likes

kil0ran wrote:

Spangly Shiny wrote:

Yep, it was research by Dr Ian Walker - there'll be a link to it on this site somewhere.

The Polite gillets are popular with horse riders near me.

Given how rare it is to see a bobby I wonder what the risk would be of wearing one that actually said "Police"?

Is this it? https://researchportal.bath.ac.uk/en/publications/the-influence-of-a-bicycle-commuters-appearance-on-drivers-overta

Road.cc article: https://road.cc/content/news/99660-high-vis-clothing-doesnt-make-cars-pass-you-more-safely-says-new-study

Guardian article also came up in my search: https://www.theguardian.com/environment/bike-blog/2013/jan/10/cycling-high-visibility-safe-fluorescent

Argus Tuft | 4 years ago
0 likes

I vaguely remember an official looking jacket for motorcyclists with POLITE in large letters across the back

FluffyKittenofT... | 4 years ago
3 likes
hawkinspeter wrote:

Clever idea.

I'm trying to think of which uniform would work best in the UK, but I think our angry motorists hate everyone equally.

A speed camera? They still hate you, but they also fear you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HprgkRGero

hawkinspeter | 4 years ago
3 likes

Clever idea.

I'm trying to think of which uniform would work best in the UK, but I think our angry motorists hate everyone equally.

Argus Tuft | 4 years ago
2 likes

Latest Comments