Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

XDR hub on a Bontrager Race wheel

Hi,
My Trek Madone 5.2 2011 came with Bontrager Race wheels.
Can I put a Sram XDR hub to put the new 12 speed cassette?
Thank you.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

VeloUSA | 4 years ago
2 likes

"My Trek Madone 5.2 2011 came with Bontrager Race wheels.
Can I put a Sram XDR hub to put the new 12 speed cassette?"

Sure you can but it won't work correctly. But you already knew that.

Drinfinity | 4 years ago
0 likes

Googling suggests the hub might be DT Swiss, in which case, yes, you can. If it is some other brand of hub, then maybe, if you can find the replacement freehub.

You need to find out which hub you have. Does it have pawls, or a pair of star ratchets?

There are videos on DT Swiss website on how to swap the hub. Simply pull the end cap off, then pull the old freehub off. I did this to go to XD on a MTB hub.

Dingaling | 4 years ago
0 likes

I don't think the question is clear. Do you mean put an XDR freewheel body on the Bontrager hub?

Mr Pennington | 4 years ago
0 likes

If you're thinking of swapping out your 10 speed cassette with a 12 speed cassette and away you go, no, that will not work. The shifts will not line up across the entire range, because an 12-speed cassette is not just a 10-speed cassette with two extra cogs stuck on at the same spacing. Rather, the spacing between 12-speed cogs is narrower than between 10-speed ones, and since you’d be trying to use the same derailleur with either setup, the shifter determines what cassette it will be compatible with. ie; The shift activation ratio is not the same on 12-speed and 10-speed.

bettrave replied to Mr Pennington | 4 years ago
0 likes

Mr Pennington wrote:

If you're thinking of swapping out your 10 speed cassette with a 12 speed cassette and away you go, no, that will not work. The shifts will not line up across the entire range, because an 12-speed cassette is not just a 10-speed cassette with two extra cogs stuck on at the same spacing. Rather, the spacing between 12-speed cogs is narrower than between 10-speed ones, and since you’d be trying to use the same derailleur with either setup, the shifter determines what cassette it will be compatible with. ie; The shift activation ratio is not the same on 12-speed and 10-speed.

Thank you M. Pennington

But I already knew that.

Latest Comments