Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

This will make you laugh!!!

Halfway round my 30 miler today and in the middle of nowhere there's a nice stretch of road about 5 miles long with a couple of rises and dips
If you go 'balls out' downhill in top gear you can build up enough speed to get uphill without changing gear
On nearing the top of the rise had to get out the saddle
The only way i could describe it was like peddling uphill with the back brake on full!
Oh bugger! I thought - glancing down i could see the brake blocks free of the rim
Bearing?! I thought after peddling downhill in my lowest gear (crazy!!) pulled up in a layby, got off the bike, lifted the rear, tried to turn the back wheel
Imagine trying to turn the back wheel with the brake on - thats just how it felt but the blocks were free!!
Right! I thought- im in middle of nowhere, if the bearing was seizing there's nowt i can do but 'soldier' on
Carried on for a further couple of miles till it got unbearable and stopped again
Got off the bike and thought i'll give the wheel a whack with my wrist - failing that its along walk home (about 8 miles)
Looking down at the wheel again you could have knocked me down with a feather!
What had happened was (i think) on getting out the saddle on that first hill, i must have given it too much 'sideways action' and the wheel had worked lose and was 'rubbing big time' on the L/H side chainstay!!!!!!
I'd peddaled nearly 3 miles like this and thinned considerably the L/H side of my rear tyre!!
On re tightening said wheel off i trundled

I'll get me coat

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

2 comments

wyadvd | 12 years ago
0 likes

I a sportive last year with the chain on my bike threaded the wrong way through my cage. Took me ages to figure that one out.

bazzargh | 12 years ago
0 likes

Did something similar over christmas-was taking the cross bike down back roads and tracks, having to pick up and leg it through fields in places cos of flooding. At one point I backpedalled slightly as I remounted and the chain came off; I was straight off to get it back on, but wondered why the casette hadnt spun. I got back on and all was well for a few hundred yards until I dismounted for another flood. This time I jumped back on and pushed the pedal... and promptly fell over.

At first I thought the brakes had locked up, but then I noticed the tyre was pressed against the seatpost....and the axle had jumped out of the dropouts. The QR, which looked a bit scratched up, was hanging loose. I can only presume that it had caught on something in the offroad bits and worked loose.

Latest Comments