Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

new bike

Hi All

Just on the look out for a new bike after someone wrecked mine along with causing me some serious injuries, 'didn't see you mate ! ' where he got mate from i don't know.

Any way after being advised to look through a Giant catalogue for something i was pointed to the defy range which i was told might suit me.

The type of riding i'm doing these days consists of around 8 miles commuting and around 30 miles sunday mornings, i'm hoping to build up the sunday runs into longer ones.

So here's the question, how much benefit will i get from going for the top of the range defy 1 to the lower ranges, given the price difference ?

will it make that much difference if i go for, say the defy 3 as opposed to the defy 1 ?
or is the 1 more suited to the more serious rider ?

Sorry for the essay but just looking for advice/opinions.

Hal

BTW the bar stewards insurance will cop for the bill.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

step-hent | 12 years ago
0 likes

Oh, and I'd go with the advice above - get down to a decent shop or two and try out a few bikes. Don't restrict yourself to one brand unless you've tried others too.

russyparkin | 12 years ago
0 likes

i got knocked off by a blind deaf and dumb courier driver and got £10'000. you would be suprised. did get a few broken bones though

notfastenough | 12 years ago
0 likes

Well one of the advantages of shopping online or via a product catalogue is often a price discount, but for a few quid extra you can buy from a local bike shop and reap the benefit of bags of experience to help you choose. If you aren't even worried about that then definitely look up your local retailers. I was hovering around Specialized's offerings until I found a good shop who could genuinely work out what I needed, and ended up with something else.

Although, I am curious; surely the other party's insurance will only cover replacement to an equivalent value of the damage or something - otherwise people in your position would simply find the baddest team issue speed machine for £10k?!

step-hent replied to notfastenough | 12 years ago
0 likes
notfastenough wrote:

Well one of the advantages of shopping online or via a product catalogue is often a price discount, but for a few quid extra you can buy from a local bike shop and reap the benefit of bags of experience to help you choose. If you aren't even worried about that then definitely look up your local retailers. I was hovering around Specialized's offerings until I found a good shop who could genuinely work out what I needed, and ended up with something else.

Although, I am curious; surely the other party's insurance will only cover replacement to an equivalent value of the damage or something - otherwise people in your position would simply find the baddest team issue speed machine for £10k?!

Correct, they will only cover the cost of an equivalent bike when paying for the damage to yours. But as well as damage to the bike, they'll pay damages for your injuries (which you'll need to keep good records of). It's worth speaking to a solicitor if you haven't already - they can help you with negotiations with the insurer.

hal1 replied to notfastenough | 12 years ago
0 likes
notfastenough wrote:

Hi
they will only replace the equivalent value, but it was an expensive bike in its day, now written off, so allowing for wear and tear its value would probably be around £850 ish, I don't mind making up any difference for a decent bike.

I don't know if i could actually get another of the same make/spec anyway ( Olmo frame, Campag gears/brakes, mavic rims )

Like yourself I will be buying from a local shop, they are the ones who steered me towards Giant.

Tons of photos' solicitor sorted, all guns blazing after 4hrs in A&E

Thanks all for your replies

hal

andylul | 12 years ago
0 likes

Agreed - lighter wheels and better brakes/chainset will always pay you back with interest.

I aimed low with my first 'proper' bike - partly because I didn't feel I was competent enough to be riding carbon or Ultegra and the like, but having just had a go on a carbon-framed road bike with Di2, it all makes perfect sense and now scrimping to lighten both my wallet and my next bike by equal measure.

Don't ever tell yourself you 'don't deserve' quality kit (although it's a waste of money putting me in Rapha or Assos - I end up looking like His Lordshit, AMS)

Spangly Shiny | 12 years ago
0 likes

Go as high up the scale as you can get. Then you will never have to say to yourself,"What if?"

Latest Comments