Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Garmin edge 800

Dont get me wrong i am in love with Strava and my Garmin but i think the Heartrate monitor strap is a cheap looking thing.Has anyone found a better strap that works.Can sigma- polar ones be used because i have one of each and they are much better quality.I did try the polar but the Garmin just said 240bpm all the time.Is there a code that can be put into the Garmin to par it up?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

12 comments

CarbonBreaker | 12 years ago
0 likes

Posted on another post string for some reason, see my response there, but I'm in full agreement with the defenders above, the quality is definately fit for purpose. If you make a comaprison between the Garmin and Polar straps, and Wahoo and, and and, like has been done here:

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2010/08/solution-to-heart-rate-dropoutsspikes...

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2009/09/garmin-forerunner-310xt-in-depth-revi...

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2011/07/tip-of-day-how-i-manage-15-heart-rate...

You will see they almost look like they are made in the same factory from the same materials... weird that huh!

pward | 12 years ago
0 likes

This is all rather odd. I got the standard strap a couple of months back to partner my Edge800 & it's worked every time, faultlessly, with no requirement for 'pre-moistening' as both my Polar & Cateye equivalents have. It's also rather comfortable by comparison with these, time will tell its longevity, but I fully expect I'll be replacing batteries rather than consigning it to the bin after a season of use.

A Defender!

si4star | 12 years ago
0 likes

The garmin monitor is compatible with the polar premium strap which I found to be a hell of a lot more comfortable

big mick | 12 years ago
0 likes

I have been on the Garmin forum and i am not alone.Seems to be a common theme.Its a shame because the unit is top quality.If you think i had a chance to view before buying in the northeast of England THINK again.All the shops up here looked at me like i was trying to buy the crown jewels.I had to get mine mail order

big mick | 12 years ago
0 likes

Look guys.It works fine .it just has made in China written all over it,if you no what i mean.Made down to price see cheap!It works but it looks like it came out of a Christmas cracker.Nothing to do with fashion its like having a £6000 BIKE with aldi wheels fitted.Like they spend all the budget on the edge unit and had to go to China for the strap to keep the price down.I would like the strap to be the same build quality as the unit .Also the fitting bracket for the unit is shite also held on with rubber bands,again i fear for long term durability.

KirinChris replied to big mick | 12 years ago
0 likes

The fitting unit is one of the best bits - dead simple to take it off and put on another bike if you need to.

As I said, I've had mine several years and half my club use Garmins and I can't say I can recall any post ride cafe discussions about them physically failing.

As a long-term Garmin user I have no issues with durability or lifespan.

And it's nothing like having a 6000 pound bike with Aldi wheels.

One, because you don't see the HRM, unless you are in the habit of riding topless so frankly who gives a toss what it looks like.
Two, it functions perfectly well and I suspect if Aldi made wheels the main issue would be performance rather than making sure they matched the look of the bike.

If you don't like the look of it then maybe you should have checked it more carefully before you bought it.

woollee23 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Have you changed the battery? I had a similar issue with the HR until I changed the battery

KirinChris | 12 years ago
0 likes

I've had a Garmin 500 for three years now and the strap is still fine, working perfectly and showing no sign of wear. I just rinse it and let it dry after each ride.

As far as I can see from current pictures for sale it is the same strap.

I previously had a Polar too and can't really see any quality difference. Polar won't be compatible because they don't use ANT+ - they have their own proprietary system.

If you are having problems then there may be some fault with your particular unit.

If the issue is that you don't like the look, well it's not designed to be a fashion accessory.  7

malmesburyclarioncc | 12 years ago
0 likes

May be yours is faulty. I am using a garmin strap and it appears to work ok.

big mick replied to malmesburyclarioncc | 12 years ago
0 likes

Mine also works fine thats not the point.What i am saying is the Garmin strap is cheaply made,have a look at a Polar strap you will see what i mean.I fear for the long term use of the cheap Garmin one.I Have used mine for 8 weeks and the strap is looking tired already.The quality of the strap is no match for the Garmin unit.

big mick | 12 years ago
0 likes

No have you?If so is it better.Do you agree the one supplied is nasty cheap.

dodgy | 12 years ago
0 likes

There is a 'premium' heart rate monitor belt by Garmin, have you tried that?

Latest Comments