Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Team GB plans for Word road champs?

Seeing the Froome Vuelta story got me thinking about the World Champs this year, and in particular the road race.

Does anyone think GB has a plan for the Worlds this year? I can't imagine them not having some form of plan, but have they written it off this year?

The course is lumpy with a steep climb up to the finish, so Cav won't be defending his jersey. The course is suited to someone like Thomas, but he won't have the base after the Olympics.

What do people think GB will do?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

If uninjured, not banned or retired. Does the world champion have to start the race?  39

Stumps | 11 years ago
0 likes

If he doesn'nt go well in the Vuelta i can see Froome giving it big guns on the last hill.

WolfieSmith | 11 years ago
0 likes

Tiernan Locke would be a popular choice. Hope he gives it a go.

othello | 11 years ago
0 likes

I agree it would be good to see Tiernan-Locke given a chance. He looks on form at the moment. I remember seeing an interview with Brailsford at the start of the year, after Tiernan-Locke won those early season races, and he didn't seem too impressed. Though the rumour is Sky are picking him up for next year.

If Thomas hadn't been on the track this year he would have been a shoe-in for team leader -- the course is ideal for him. It suits a classics rider down to the ground.

I don't think he will ride it, but it would have been interesting to see Wiggo having a go. Putting the full watts output on the Cauberg and continuing to the finish 1700m later, not many people would have come around him. A bit like the sprint he won earlier this year.

rbirkett1989 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Would love to see Tiernan-Locke get a chance. Think he mentioned in an interview last month that he wants a crack at it.
Course should suit and if BC haven't got any other plans then why not?

NeilG83 | 11 years ago
0 likes

I'm not sure Great Britain has much of a chance in the World Championships this year because of the course.
We don't know how many qualification spots they will get yet, but with all the success it should be 8 or 9.
Like you say Thomas & Kennaugh have been concentrating on the track so might not ride or if they did probably won't finish. Cavendish has said he will start the race out of respect for the jersey, but won't finish.
Also, I wouldn't be surprised to see Jonathan Tiernan-Locke in the team along with Stannard, Froome, Cummings and Hunt.

Latest Comments