Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

2014 world tour teams

Just thinking ahead, We are losing two teams next year Euskatel and Vacansoliel, but started this year with 19, so who is prepared to step up a level? I noticed IAM making some big signings, particularly Chavanel, anyone else heard what might be happening?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

22 comments

Stumps | 10 years ago
0 likes

Nearly 2000 ? bloody hell didn't realise there was that many.

Still with less teams and if we hit 2k again it leaves a lot of riders without a seat.

James Warrener | 10 years ago
0 likes

Despite Wanty coming in to save Vacansoleil there will still be issues and fall out...

Have blogged about it here http://road.cc/content/blog/95693-save-tommy

Stumps | 10 years ago
0 likes

If you go onto cycling fever there 859 records of transfers, rumours etc which is a hell of a lot. Some will be contract extensions but it still leaves many riders looking for a new team and with less teams its not looking good.

Gkam84 replied to Stumps | 10 years ago
0 likes
stumps wrote:

If you go onto cycling fever there 859 records of transfers, rumours etc which is a hell of a lot. Some will be contract extensions but it still leaves many riders looking for a new team and with less teams its not looking good.

Over 300 of them are signed though, with another 50 being retiring riders.

You have to remember that covers ALL levels of cycling, WT, Conti, Regional, Womans...etc

I can't find last year's, but there was nearly 2000

Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Its not really the teams I feel sad for, teams come and go.

Its the amount of decent riders we are going to lose from the racing next season

James Warrener | 10 years ago
0 likes

Sad times for a lot of teams.

Ghedebrav | 10 years ago
0 likes

I agree absolutely that IAM look a quality set-up, some promising riders bringing good performances in pretty much every race in which they've taken part. Would be a hell of a rapid rise of they were to get WT status so quickly, though.

I can understand all the talk about Europcar, but don't they essentially exist for the Tour? Saying that, they are a continental brand (unlike, say, Cofidis), and while I do love IAM and their unwitting Kraftwerk-ness, part of me does instinctively find the 'rich man's plaything' element a little... unheimlich

Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes

No they aren't, but their current license runs out at the end of the season

Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Europcar have said, they have at least 22 riders for next season, which is too many for a Conti team in their eyes, they may be forced to cut a few.

Vacansoleil aren't saving anything, their DS has gone to Wanty and is taking a few riders, along with finding a new title sponsor.

Leaving riders like De Gendt and Hoogerland to find contracts for themselves

drheaton replied to Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

Europcar have said, they have at least 22 riders for next season, which is too many for a Conti team in their eyes, they may be forced to cut a few.

Vacansoleil aren't saving anything, their DS has gone to Wanty and is taking a few riders, along with finding a new title sponsor.

Leaving riders like De Gendt and Hoogerland to find contracts for themselves

Europcar are stuck in no man's land. Too many riders to race Pro Conti but under the minimum of 23 needed to apply for a WT license. They need some quality though, not just numbers, they need some decent support stage winners if they want to compete all year round at WT level, especially after losing Turgot/Gaudin, their go to paid for the cobbled classics.

drheaton | 10 years ago
0 likes

Inrng has it that Europcar have officially applied for the license but they don't have enough riders, need to recruit some more after losing the likes of Turgot and Gaudin. Had to lose them though to release funds for Voeckler/Rolland/Coquard contracts.

Will be interesting to see who they pick up from the folding teams now. De Gendt still free as well as some Euskie riders, Izagirre brothers maybe? Plus, Euskie riders contracts still covered for next year if they had a contract already.

Horner's still free of course...

drheaton | 10 years ago
0 likes

Not sure Europcar will have to drop riders, they're built for one grand tour a season so I can't see them being hugely over budget, they've already dropped a few riders this year.

Whichever of Europcar/IAM get the license (and I think if they're going to get an 18th WT team it'll be one of these two) the other must be nailed on for a TdF invite so I don't think it really matters. I agree with gkam though that maybe IAM are better placed to cover the whole seasons worth of races from classic to grand tours.

Nice to see Vaconsoleil have kind of gotten a reprieve by dropping down to Pro-Conti and merging with Accent Jobs-Wanty.

Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes

The problem is, if Europcar don't get a WT spot, they are going to cut some riders. I think IAM have more chance though

stevemarks | 10 years ago
0 likes

I am seeing comments/speculation that Europcar are going for a worldtour licence.

Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Also, from my other thread, discussing teams disappearing

Champion Systems
Crelan-Euphony

They are also gone

Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Here you are, go work out who has enough points and who doesn't...... http://www.uci.ch/Modules/BUILTIN/getObject.asp?MenuId=&ObjTypeCode=FILE...

ALSO, remember that WT races are supposed to be featuring teams of 6 next year, instead of the normal 8 riders.

So that will leave more room for invites

Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Don't forget that Saxo have split from Tinkoff and are looking for another sponsor and with only a handful of points here and there might have trouble.

So with Euskaltel and Vaconsoliel gone Saxo and Katusha on dodgy ground

Trek are taking on Radioshack but their license runs out this season I believe, along with FDJ and Lotto

It currently it looks like this

License for 2014
Orica-GreenEDGE
Argos-Shimano
Belkin
Garmin
Saxo

License beyond 2014
Cannondale
AG2R
Sky
BMC
Movistar
Astana

So it leaves 11 who are there for sure. I think its going to be a struggle to get 18 teams. It may be cut to 16

The only team I can see who are fit to move up right now are IAM Cycling.

Europcar have ruled it out, Cofidis? Net-App? or Sojasun (who are also in financial trouble)

drheaton replied to Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

Don't forget that Saxo have split from Tinkoff and are looking for another sponsor and with only a handful of points here and there might have trouble.

Trek are taking on Radioshack but their license runs out this season I believe, along with FDJ and Lotto

License for 2014
Orica-GreenEDGE
Argos-Shimano
Belkin
Garmin
Saxo

License beyond 2014
Cannondale
AG2R
Sky
BMC
Movistar
Astana

So it leaves 11 who are there for sure. I think its going to be a struggle to get 18 teams. It may be cut to 16

Europcar have ruled it out, Cofidis? Net-App? or Sojasun (who are also in financial trouble)

Cyclingnews are reporting that Sojasun are officially done.

If you can't even give away the licenses to enter into the top level of the sport you know something is seriously wrong with the system. The problem is the current system is all that keeps some races afloat. Would the likes of San Sebastian survive if they didn't haven all of the top teams guaranteed to attend?

Personally, I think perhaps the World Tour calendar needs to be either trimmed down to cut out some of the crap or needs breaking up into two levels, the top including the grand tours and monuments that ALL of the top team's have to attend and then a lower tier which includes races where they are guaranteed a certain number of top teams but where all the top teams don't have to attend giving some flexibility and slightly less intensive calendars.

Whatever happens, something needs to change.

ajmarshal1 replied to Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

License for 2014
Orica-GreenEDGE
Argos-Shimano
Belkin
Garmin
Saxo

License beyond 2014
Cannondale
AG2R
Sky
BMC
Movistar
Astana

OPQS? Lotto? Lampre? They aren't going anywhere soon.

drheaton | 10 years ago
0 likes

Euskatel and Vaconsoleil are both shutting down I think. Vaconsoleil couldn't get a sponsor and the deal between Euskatel and Fernando Alonso fell through apparently because who ever was selling the Euskatel license wanted Alonso to take on all the staff contracts and he refused.

Saur-Sojasun are also going at the end of the year (unable to get a sponsor).

I think IAM will stay at Pro-Conti level for another year then look to move up unless the UCI throw some money their way but if IAM can get a Tour invite (which they should with Chavanel) I don't think they'd want the extra cost of having to field a team in all the crappy World Tour races. I mean, what's the benefit to IAM or racing in Qatar, Beijing, Australia, Poland etc etc, all they want is the TdF invite.

Europcar are nailed on for a Tour invite and that's all they care about so I doubt they'll move up which basically leaves a free spot in the World Tour next year making a mockery of the whole system.

stevemarks replied to drheaton | 10 years ago
0 likes
drheaton wrote:

Euskatel and Vaconsoleil are both shutting down I think. Vaconsoleil couldn't get a sponsor and the deal between Euskatel and Fernando Alonso fell through apparently because who ever was selling the Euskatel license wanted Alonso to take on all the staff contracts and he refused.

Saur-Sojasun are also going at the end of the year (unable to get a sponsor).

I think IAM will stay at Pro-Conti level for another year then look to move up unless the UCI throw some money their way but if IAM can get a Tour invite (which they should with Chavanel) I don't think they'd want the extra cost of having to field a team in all the crappy World Tour races. I mean, what's the benefit to IAM or racing in Qatar, Beijing, Australia, Poland etc etc, all they want is the TdF invite.

Europcar are nailed on for a Tour invite and that's all they care about so I doubt they'll move up which basically leaves a free spot in the World Tour next year making a mockery of the whole system.

That's what I was thinking, and if Saxo cannot find a co sponsor it could be even worse!

Stumps | 10 years ago
0 likes

I thought Euskaltel had been saved or are they dropping to Conti level ?

Latest Comments