Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Bikes (and walkers) outnumbering cars today!

Today was brilliant. Lovely, sunny not overly hot. Very few of our four wheeled friends out on my country roads on my Sunday exercise. When you read the accounts of some of the Stupid reasons (I realise we only get the highlights) drivers give to the police for being out, it really makes you think about the need and proportionality of it all.

Paused for a pull on my bidon and some home made cake - nothing but the sounds of nature, and my restored Raleigh Record Ace saying “c’mon, let’s go”. Families - mum, dad, kids, walking together, cycling together - I just can’t remember ever seeing this before. Can we hold onto this, or am I living in a dream?

In some ways, living the lock-down reminds me of parts of childhood. A plainer version of our past life, when There weren’t attractions, Shopping centres, coffees, restaurants, drinks. I’m not an only child, but my brother and sister are older and had left home by the time I was 5, so I really felt like it. Winter Sundays in particular were really tedious If you couldn’t go outside (which at least we were able to do). You might get lucky with an afternoon film, with Jack Hawkins winning WW2, there might be an afternoon outing, probably to grandparents.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

23 comments

ktache | 4 years ago
2 likes

I've not seen a car advert for so long.  I cannot remember the last one.

Strange, when the roads really are as empty as the adverts tend to show.

brooksby replied to ktache | 4 years ago
0 likes

It's funny, I hadn't really noticed but but now you mention it you're right.

(Mind you, I have been reading that all this car leasing might be becoming a bit of a problem (ticking financial time bomb, as usual), so perhaps the car companies have decided to pull back...).

David9694 replied to ktache | 4 years ago
3 likes

Now I realise what's being missing in my life! 

where is the luminous city centre, the five smiling companions, the mountain trail, the sweeping coast road, with not a parking sign or a jam in sight? Such wonderful experiences await me, down at the dealership.

bbir | 4 years ago
1 like

Whatever anyone says until there is a vacine the "bear is still out there" and physical distancing will have to remain / continue.  If that continues and keeps unnessary journies in a car to a minimum riding a bike will be a pleasure.  We need to encourage all local authorities to change the way roads are configured to support walking and cycling over vehicles.

kil0ran | 4 years ago
1 like

I'm seeing so many family groups out, and also people who clearly haven't ridden a bike for years. Also gnarly OAPs tanking around on classic 50s and 60s metal (Dawes, Condor, Raleigh) with nary an idea of Eroica. Even saw one wearing one of those 80s-style track helmets.

Bike wise I've seen everything from BSOs to classic 50s/60s tourers with full chain guards, stirrup brakes, and downtube shifters. It's brilliant. The only downside is you can't drop in with them and have a chat because of social distancing. I just hope they stick with it when things get back to normal.

ktache replied to kil0ran | 4 years ago
0 likes

I'm seeing a lot of early 90s ridgid mtbs with cantis.  Some quality others not.  Still a lot of noisy chains out there.

TheBillder replied to ktache | 4 years ago
1 like

I saw a well-upholstered fellow this evening in a hoodie football shorts and trainers, tattoos all over his calves, on a fixie. I caught him up at a junction, and then he rode away from me cos he was quite a bit faster than me, in proper kit on a road bike. Shamed. Every silver lining has a cloud...

David9694 replied to ktache | 4 years ago
3 likes

And in a way.  that is how it should be - an every day thing that you don't need to be a fanatic to do. 

my new vocation as a cheeky street caller 
Bicycles to mend! Tyres to mend! 

Rick_Rude | 4 years ago
6 likes

We should go back to closed Sundays. I remember going into city centres in Sundays to skateboard as it was the only time you had access to all the terrain. There was rarely anyone there.

In general I think people need to learn how to switch off sometimes.

Jem PT replied to Rick_Rude | 4 years ago
1 like

Rick_Rude wrote:

We should go back to closed Sundays. I remember going into city centres in Sundays to skateboard as it was the only time you had access to all the terrain. There was rarely anyone there. In general I think people need to learn how to switch off sometimes.

Definitely (and I'm an atheist!) This is one of the nice things about visiting Germany. On Sundays even cities are quiet and (nearly) everyone gets a day to switch off.

David9694 replied to Rick_Rude | 4 years ago
0 likes

I hear you, but I'm really teetering on this - some of those Sundays were distressingly dull.  
Only skate boarders and war gamers got organised and did something about it. 

kil0ran | 4 years ago
5 likes

Rode 17 miles on Sunday morning - not super early, around 7am - and all I saw was a couple of oncoming vehicles. And two deer, a couple of birds of prey, and a hare. Unprecedented. Not a single close pass, because noone overtook me. Was glorious.

David9694 replied to kil0ran | 4 years ago
0 likes

Sounds super early to me. 

Daveyraveygravey | 4 years ago
7 likes

It's unlikely I know, but wouldn't it be nice if this state of affairs continued after the restrictions are lifted?  Familes going for walks, people saying hello to each other (apart from those that look at you like you may have an unexploded bomb under your t shirt) people riding and walking to the shops half a mile away...

I've been riding on roads I wouldn't normally dream of; admittedly not dual carriageways but some A roads I would dread are actually...quick and convenient ways of getting from one point to another.

ktache replied to Daveyraveygravey | 4 years ago
1 like

I rode around a roundabout yesterday afternoon that I have not gone around that way (apart from very late night/wee hours) for many, many years.

It's so dangerous (in my quick risk assesment view) thet I get off, use the pelican crossing, walk the bike a bit on the pavement, cross a road and only then get back on to ride the cycle route, hastle I know, far slower, but much less chance of a violent death from sheer driver incompetence.

It really is that quiet out there, sometimes.

brooksby replied to Daveyraveygravey | 4 years ago
1 like

I rode a bike to and from work yesterday, first time since The Lockdown.

Once out of the city I started onto the shared-use path as is my wont, but I had to go back onto the road.

There were so many families (genuine sitcom families: mum, dad, two kids, one dog) walking around - all keeping a large distance from other families - that I couldn't  pass them all, let alone pass any of them leaving a decent amount of space.

I swear it was busier than it is during the school holidays at times when we're not in the middle of a global viral pandemic...

Notbuilt2climb replied to Daveyraveygravey | 4 years ago
2 likes

Totally agree.  I hope people decide to make time to go for walks and rides when it's back to normal. Most people seem to be friendly but what is it with pedestrians walking in the middle of the road (often when the pavement is empty) and then getting annoyed with you or pull a face at you when you want to cycle past them. Or some just walk out into a road without looking.  I know my bike runs smoothly and quietly (plenty of time for mainenance at the moment), but so do electric cars, though admittedly, not so many of those around as there are bikes.

David9694 replied to Notbuilt2climb | 4 years ago
1 like

"Bike behind!" In as nice a tone as you can manage.
Most people are fine, appreciative even.  

I call even if there's sufficient room to pass comfortably, just to avoid the "nice country walk but spoiled by cyclists whizzing past" Facebook  posts appearing in the evening - what with us being so deadly, polluting, noisy and space-hungry and all. 

Daveyraveygravey replied to David9694 | 4 years ago
2 likes

David9694 wrote:

"Bike behind!" In as nice a tone as you can manage.
Most people are fine, appreciative even.  

I call even if there's sufficient room to pass comfortably, just to avoid the "nice country walk but spoiled by cyclists whizzing past" Facebook  posts appearing in the evening - what with us being so deadly, polluting, noisy and space-hungry and all. 

Same here, and usually I say "Have a nice walk/ride/run" too just to reinforce the nice cyclist message! 

Mungecrundle | 4 years ago
6 likes

Around Royston I'd put number of cyclists at 5x the number of cars. Couples, singletons and in the villages families out together. Plenty of walkers and joggers too. People out in their gardens and pretty much everyone with a friendly smile or wave.

All very creepy and dystopian.

Welsh boy | 4 years ago
3 likes

The number of walkers and joggers in what look like family groups is going to be my lasting memory apart from the traffic levels being like the 1970’s again. It’s funny, if I am out on my own I almost never stop for a cafe stop but today I could have killed for a cafe stop. I have noticed the amount of traffic is slowing creeping up though.

PRSboy replied to Welsh boy | 4 years ago
1 like

Yes, definitely feels like more vehicles about this week.  Be interesting to see what the stats say.

It has been a joy though, my older daughter has starting cycling during the lockdown... and I keep saying to her as we cruise along deserted A roads at 5:30pm etc not to take this for granted!  Much as I worry about the economy and peoples' livelihoods, I am dreading when the roads return to normal.

David9694 replied to PRSboy | 4 years ago
0 likes

"Normal" - I understand what you mean - "how they were". I always wonder if we could go back to the year 1900 and have our time again, is what we've got now (or had until recently), which is slowly becoming a heap of misery for drivers and all those around them alike, what we'd choose?

Latest Comments