Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

Bristol named the worst city for dangerous driving in the UK

//live.staticflickr.com/4072/4640049821_b8d2d714c5_b.jpg)

(Image courtesy of Anna Pickard https://www.flickr.com/photos/90973553@N00)

Bristol has been named the worst city for dangerous driving in the UK.

A study by the Compensation Experts revealed that out of the whole of the UK, Bristol roads have the most dangerous drivers followed by London, Cardiff, and Leeds.

More than 2,000 UK drivers were surveyed to find out which cities are home to the most dangerous drivers in the country.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/bristol-named-worst-city-dangerous-5864648

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

29 comments

wtjs | 2 years ago
0 likes

Another completely worthless survey dependent upon what people say.

brooksby replied to wtjs | 2 years ago
0 likes

IAF I think all surveys are dependent upon what people say.  I think that's kind of how they work  3

Jack Sexty | 2 years ago
5 likes

Sorry to be a spoilsport but we've been asked to remove the squirrel pic by its owner. If we can stick to royalty-free squirrels in future that'd be grand... 

hawkinspeter replied to Jack Sexty | 2 years ago
5 likes

Jack Sexty wrote:

Sorry to be a spoilsport but we've been asked to remove the squirrel pic by its owner. If we can stick to royalty-free squirrels in future that'd be grand... 

Dagnammit! I'm surprised that hasn't happened more often.

Strangely, that was just a link to their copy of the image (as opposed to downloading it and then uploading it here), but I'm not trying to rob them of any squirrel-related proceeds.

Hirsute replied to hawkinspeter | 2 years ago
2 likes

Prepared to donate to your legal fund for your impending lawsuit !

hawkinspeter replied to Hirsute | 2 years ago
2 likes

hirsute wrote:

Prepared to donate to your legal fund for your impending lawsuit !

'Twas fair use, m'lud, and the aforementioned image is freely available on t'interwebs.

(I'm surprised they didn't just ask for an attribution so they could use the free advertising)

2 likes

Jack Sexty wrote:

Just added in a Creative Commons image.

Also, my apologies to Geert Weggen/Fine Art America for previously using this: https://fineartamerica.com/featured/red-squirrels-sitting-in-an-camping-bus-with-canoe-geert-weggen.html

Jack Sexty replied to hawkinspeter | 2 years ago
5 likes

3 likes

Well, you know, I do what I can

brooksby replied to hawkinspeter | 2 years ago
1 like

Its you, so I have to ask, but IS THAT REAL??

hawkinspeter replied to brooksby | 2 years ago
1 like

brooksby wrote:

Its you, so I have to ask, but IS THAT REAL??

It's as real as you want it to be.

If you're not squeamish, then have a look at this: http://cookingwithserena.com/canned-squirrel/

And you'd be surprised what you can find down the local store

2 likes

hawkinspeter wrote:

If you're not squeamish, then have a look at this: http://cookingwithserena.com/canned-squirrel/

OMG I can't unsee it! 

mdavidford replied to Jack Sexty | 2 years ago
3 likes

Jack Sexty wrote:

This just sounds like an excuse for squirrel exploitation to me.

Exactly how many hazelnuts were they demanding for its use anyway?

Rendel Harris replied to Lance ꜱtrongarm | 2 years ago
15 likes

Nigel Garrage wrote:

Just throwing it out there: those cities are literally a who's who of where voted remain in 2016.

The statistics are based on driver answers to a questionnaire, so we can extrapolate that Remainers are considerably more honest and less delusional than Leavers. Just throwing it out there.

Sniffer replied to Rendel Harris | 2 years ago
7 likes

Nigel brings in irrelevant subject.

No surprise there.

He is looking to have a discussion about something else other than dangerous driving.

Tedious

brooksby replied to Rendel Harris | 2 years ago
8 likes

So Nigel is implying that there is a causal link of some kind between cr@p driving and whether you think that Brexit was the political and economic equivalent of putting a shotgun in your mouth?  Really odd...

Sniffer replied to Lance ꜱtrongarm | 2 years ago
8 likes

Nigel Garrage wrote:

I don't really want to start some kind of angry debate about it 

mdavidford replied to Lance ꜱtrongarm | 2 years ago
12 likes

Nigel Garrage wrote:

... it stands to reason that people who buy German are more likely to vote remain.

Pretty sure there's no reason involved in that claim at all.

Hirsute replied to brooksby | 2 years ago
9 likes

brooksby wrote:

Really odd...

100% consistent with shit stirring.

TheBillder replied to Rendel Harris | 2 years ago
5 likes
Rendel Harris wrote:

Nigel Garrage wrote:

Just throwing it out there: those cities are literally a who's who of where voted remain in 2016.

The statistics are based on driver answers to a questionnaire, so we can extrapolate that Remainers are considerably more honest and less delusional than Leavers. Just throwing it out there.

You get more troll points if you can get people to argue against you as if your lies are true.

Nigel's grasp of falsehood is on show here. Leeds voted Remain by 50.3 to 49.7. Cardiff was 60-40 and Bristol 62-38. None of those three make the top 10.

hawkinspeter | 2 years ago
0 likes

I just had a quick look at the Compensation Experts article: https://the-compensation-experts.co.uk/revealed-the-top-10-uk-cities-for-dangerous-driving/

Quote:

Shockingly, 17% of Cardiff drivers have admitted to getting behind the wheel whilst drinking over the limit, with Norwich and Bristol drivers in second and third place. In contrast, Edinburgh was the only city in the country where no one admitted to drink driving – and in fact, no one from Edinburgh said they drove under the influence of drugs, or applied makeup whilst driving.

19% of Brits say they don’t know the rules for driving after having a drink, but most shockingly, is that 22% of people surveyed thought that having a drink POSITIVELY impacted their abilities as a driver.

3 likes

Let's face it - I suspect that if you stopped a random group of drivers in Bristol, far more of them would fail a drugs test than an alcohol/breath test...

0 likes

brooksby wrote:

Let's face it - I suspect that if you stopped a random group of drivers in Bristol, far more of them would fail a drugs test than an alcohol/breath test...

I daresay that you're right, though that's to be expected as drugs can stay in your system for a lot longer than alcohol.

Captain Badger replied to hawkinspeter | 2 years ago
2 likes

hawkinspeter wrote:

brooksby wrote:

I daresay that you're right, though that's to be expected as drugs can stay in your system for a lot longer than alcohol.

Alcohol is a drug don't forget, and in spite of being legal one of the more dangerous to the individual and more damaging and costly to society.

Hirsute | 2 years ago
1 like

The stats should be based on nips and cameras adjusted for road types and speeds.

mdavidford | 2 years ago
0 likes

Quote:

findings based on the number of residents that admit to driving whilst tired, speeding, using your phone whilst at the wheel, and driving over the limit.

Quote:

Bristol named the worst city for dangerous driving with the most honest drivers in the UK

brooksby | 2 years ago
1 like

Well, they apparently have problems seeing/avoiding three foot tall orange plastic 'wands' with reflective stuff on them.  It's no wonder that they have problems seeing other vehicles (presumably not orange, and with less reflective stuff).

3 likes

I'm getting a bit conflicted over the Bristol numbers.

As this is a self-reported poll, it means that 92.5% of Bristolian responders were being honest about phone use etc., but it also mentions that only 13% admitted to going over the speed limit which means that they're not being that honest after all.

mdavidford replied to hawkinspeter | 2 years ago
1 like

Yes - it would be more interesting to see the other end of the scale - where are the most dishonest drivers. They're probably the most dangerous - overconfidence breeding complacency and all that.

Latest Comments