Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Cube Attain sl 2020 or second hand 2015 CAAD 10 ?

"Timing is everything", so some say.

Just managed to get a Cube Attain sl 2020 on the cycle to work scheme. Later, someone got back to me offering a 2015 CAAD 10, with full ultegra 6800 groupset (3 years old) except for rear mech which is newer ... for £316 less.

I understand that the CAAD is much more of a racer. The Cube is definitely the right choice for now ... commuting for work. Knowing myself, as I start building up the miles, I realise that I'm also going to start wanting to increase the pace.

Any opinions ? Is the Cube a better choice because it'll be "better" to commute on and I can also race it ... or the Cannondale, as a passable commute and it'll be a better racer. or are they completely different beasts and if I want to race, I should get both ? (I'll never be a genuine competitor but I'd at least like to try to keep up with stragglers.)

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

2 comments

SimonAY | 3 years ago
0 likes

To be honest, switching to the CAAD is not going to make a great deal of difference when competing at a low level (you could splash out on an s-works venge and it wouldn't make much difference) 

I'd stick with what you've got until you find out what you enjoy and go from there

Cerysdad replied to SimonAY | 3 years ago
2 likes

I laughed at myself when I read this. I've barely built up to 10k on weekdays and suddenly I'm Bradley Wiggins. (I don't have delusions of adequacy never mind excellence but there's a grain of truth I recognise). I've just got the joy back. Over the last 5 weeks I've found out that I really should be cycling to and from work, I've had my (about 25 years old) mountain bikes maintained, started cycling again after 13 years and bought a road/endurace bike. Currently got a buzz about it all. Thanks for the grounding 🙂

Latest Comments