Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Do people still use dumb rollers?

I'm trying to sell some rollers and can't believe there's zero interest in them.

Intrigued to know whether people still use dumb training equipment or is the whole world on samrt trainers?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

16 comments

IanEdward | 1 year ago
2 likes

So much commentary on websites, magazines and forums would have you believe it's impossible to train without smart trainers and Zwift or equivalent.

Also look at how much Zwift advertises (anyone else sick of hearing commentators having to say 'Tour de France femme Avec Zwift', every time?)

I think for anyone new in particular there is probably a massive fear of missing out if you're not on Zwift and therefore some sort of Smart turbo.

I still use rollers for all my training but I have the Arion Mag with resistance so at least can do FTP and threshold workouts. I think I could have managed these on my old rollers too with careful gear and tyre pressure choice but the prevailing wisdom is you can't do hard workouts on basic rollers.

Haven't they always been a bit niche anyway? Am sure there's always a set or two of barely used Tax rollers on the various for sale pages I go to

mark1a replied to IanEdward | 1 year ago
1 like

One possible reason for "barely used rollers" for sale - search YouTube for "bike rollers fail"

don simon fbpe replied to mark1a | 1 year ago
3 likes

I counter that with bike roller tricks to see all the fun that the folks with no staying power are missing out on.

Jimmy Ray Will | 1 year ago
2 likes

Yep, I use rollers, what flavour are you selling? 

don simon fbpe replied to Jimmy Ray Will | 1 year ago
0 likes

Elite Arion.

peted76 | 1 year ago
2 likes

Yes I still use 'dumb rollers' for training with, you get a number of benefits which you don't get with a turbo.

However..saying that this is the first winter season in a very long time where I'm 'not' running the clubs weekly roller training sessions as members just prefer to sit at home on zwift, it's a sign of the times and I can't see an appitite or room for them moving forward.

Also.. the commonwealth games are in the process of giving away rollers used in the games to anyone who wants a set.. so probably not a great time to be selling them tbf. 

FWIW, I'm also getting my zwift set up in place for winter this week, much as I loathe it.

don simon fbpe replied to peted76 | 1 year ago
0 likes

That's a bit shit of a thing to do! Seriously, if community entities can get decent equipment, good on them.

DavidLeslie replied to peted76 | 1 year ago
0 likes

Do you know how I could find out about this giveaway? The kids' cycling club I coach at would make very good use of a stash of rollers.

AlsoSomniloquism replied to DavidLeslie | 1 year ago
2 likes

It has closed now. It was for local to Birmingham area mainly though which is probably why you didn't hear about it. Not sure about the "anyone who wants a set" listed by peterd76 though as it was targetted at clubs etc.

leelang229 | 1 year ago
4 likes

I use mine, instead of a dumb trainer.  I would quite like to be Zwifting, but I'm struggling to find £700 for a trainer and then a monthly subscription. It's quick to setup for a 30 or 40 minute ride indoors and replicates road riding better than the lock-on rear wheel trainer.  I wondered why it was cheap!

Rendel Harris replied to leelang229 | 1 year ago
3 likes

You know you can Zwift using a speed and cadence sensor with your rollers for about £25? 

don simon fbpe replied to Rendel Harris | 1 year ago
1 like

But it's a bit rubbish though, innit?

I prefer the rollers over a smart trainer and zwift for precisely the reasons cited by leelang229.

Jimmy Ray Will replied to leelang229 | 1 year ago
1 like

Well said... 

I know its possible to do on the cheap, but its also rubbish on the cheap, so you get what you pay for.

Alas, if I drop £700 on a trainer, and £150 a year on a Zwift subscription's, that's more than next year's real world racing budget gone. 

I like real world racing, so its no Zwift for me. 

And for those competitive types, those costs are only going up... fancy fans, big screen, fancy scales, camera, etc. etc. If you take Zwift anything like seriously, you either need to be affluent or zwifting will take up all your spend. 

I hear a lot of moaning about the cost of real world racing, but I think its more than people have used more of their bicycle tokens on other things and have nothing left for racing. 

Spangly Shiny | 1 year ago
3 likes

I suspect that trackies and serious roadies are the only ones left using dumb rollers, for warming up/down. Good luck in trying to find a buyer.

FerrisBFW replied to Spangly Shiny | 1 year ago
1 like

All the kids at my son's club Hillingdon use them.

I had some smart rollers i used on Zwift, they were amazing, but really tough to go up the hills and if you fell off....  it would take me ages to get going again.  Sold them in the end.  

Drinfinity replied to FerrisBFW | 1 year ago
1 like

We use them at our go-ride club. For those taking part in youth clusters or track development sessions with BC, it is part of the programme. I agree that they are rather niche though, and there are many more users for turbos. 

Latest Comments