Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Dura ace cassette 11-30

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

12 comments

Chris Hayes | 1 year ago
0 likes

My understanding of high end cassettes was that in addition to being made of lighter materials all the cogs are splined to engage fully with the hub, thus reducing leverage and load on the hub and causing less damage. 

But you used to be able to recycle the unworn / less-worn components by mixing them with Ultegra, etc.  Still, difficult to justify as a consumable - for me at least - unless it comes with the bike. 

Jimnm | 1 year ago
0 likes

Is there anyone on here would pay £239.99 for an 11-30 Dura ace rear cassette. I know I certainly wouldn't. I think the bike industry are trying to take us to the cleaners. You could get x4 105 11 speed cassettes for £220.00 I just can't get my head around have they can charge so much. 

andystow replied to Jimnm | 1 year ago
5 likes

I wouldn't buy a DURA-ACE cassette period. If you're not racing at a high level, you're not the  target market. The titanium sprockets will wear faster than steel. You're paying £100 extra to save 60 grams (2 oz) and have to replace it sooner vs. an all-steel sprockets Ultegra cassette.

Jimmy Ray Will replied to andystow | 1 year ago
2 likes

I've used 105, Ultegra and DuraAce cassettes over my time and I'd say that the Dura Ace is the hardest wearing of the three. I have had a dura ace cassette on my current bike since 2020 and it still has a good bit of life in it yet.  

Ultegra comes a close second on the durability front, whilst 105 is significantly behind the other two.

Having worn through a few dura ace cassettes, I can also confirm that its the larger of the steel sprockets that end up dying, in the 15-17 range and not the titanium sprockets. 

All that said, I don't think I could justify £240 for another one.

Jimnm replied to Jimmy Ray Will | 1 year ago
0 likes

I have an Ultegra group set but I've replaced the chain set for 105s 53/39 with 70.00 crank lengths the Ultegra cranks were 72.5 with compact rings. I've put an 11/28 105 cassette on. The 105s are half price of Ultegra and just as good for me. 

HoarseMann replied to andystow | 1 year ago
0 likes

andystow wrote:

I wouldn't buy a DURA-ACE cassette period. If you're not racing at a high level, you're not the  target market.

and even if you are racing it might not be the best choice. Mark Beaumont went for Ultegra on his round-the-world ride, as he found it gave him better durability than Dura-Ace.

https://www.cyclinguk.org/cycle-magazine/mark-beaumonts-round-world-80-d...

Rendel Harris replied to HoarseMann | 1 year ago
2 likes

HoarseMann wrote:

...even if you are racing it might not be the best choice. Mark Beaumont went for Ultegra on his round-the-world ride, as he found it gave him better durability than Dura-Ace.

A while back on Facebook I expressed surprise that Ribble's newly revealed flagship team bike was equipped with Ultegra Di2, not Dura Ace: Harry Tanfield (it was in the brief period that he was contemplating moving to Ribble Weldtite) told me "the only real difference between Ultegra and Dura Ace is that Dura Ace breaks more easily." Obviously he would be naturally inclined to defend his team bike but interesting to hear that from a pro.

hawkinspeter replied to HoarseMann | 1 year ago
3 likes

Broken Ultegra crank? Can't think where I've heard of that before

HoarseMann replied to hawkinspeter | 1 year ago
0 likes

hawkinspeter wrote:

Broken Ultegra crank? Can't think where I've heard of that before

With what we know now, he should have gone with 105 for the cranks!

Interesting comment from Rendel too. I can see how this would be the case. I once had a tour of an F1 team manufacturing facility. They were designing some parts to only last the length of the race. If they lasted longer, they were clearly too robust and there was some weight to be saved. I don't think Dura-Ace is engineered quite like that, but there's definately a weight/longevity trade off.

IanMSpencer replied to Jimnm | 1 year ago
1 like

SRAM have a nice selection of eye-wateringly expensive cassettes that make Dura-Ace look like a bargain. As does a Campy Super-Record at £280 from CRC.

John Stevenson replied to Jimnm | 1 year ago
3 likes

Jimnm wrote:

I just can't get my head around have they can charge so much. 

Expensive, hard-to-work-with materials, fettled to within an inch of their life to keep weight down.

If you're racing at the highest level and therefore must have a bike that's bang on the UCI weight limit, because so do all your competitors, then you're the target market for this cassette. If not, you're not.

I think the bike industry are trying to take us to the cleaners.

If the only 11-30 cassette you could buy were the Dura-Ace one, that'd be fair, but as you yourself mention, it isn't. Not only can 105 cassettes be found for less than £50, but a bit of digging around Amazon and eBay turns up Chinese 11-30 11-speed cassettes for under £30, or if you'd rather deal with a UK source, there's this one for £33.

leelang229 replied to John Stevenson | 1 year ago
0 likes

I just bought one of the Air Bike ones, as I seem to go through mine quickly (every 5000 miles).  Seems to be fine.

Latest Comments