Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Identifying one day race from France spring 2023

Hi, trying to find the name of a one day race in south France I think , in spring 2023, televised on Eurosport where riders were getting blown off the course, and the last 500m featured an uphill drag through a small town. Any ideas anyone? It wasn’t one of the main classics, Brian Smith and a female commentator were the errr… commentators.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

CJSH | 2 months ago
1 like

Drôme Classic? Won by Anthony Perez.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJd3_66cx58

Skinnydog replied to CJSH | 2 months ago
1 like

That's brilliant. Thanks so much. Cap truly doffed Sir.

Rendel Harris | 2 months ago
0 likes

Doesn't quite fit the bill but stage five of Tirreno-Adriatico last year was truncated due to exceptionally high winds, with the stage finishing further down the last climb than originally intended, can't remember the name of the village but it was definitely a one horse town. Paris-Nice stage six was cancelled on the same day for the same reasons, so if it wasn't either of those if you look at the calendar around that time (about a week into March I think) you might find the race you're looking for.

mark1a | 2 months ago
0 likes

Would it be Italy instead of France and 22 not 23? Strade Bianche features a climb like that at the end, is not a main classic (yet), and was very windy causing a huge crash.

Skinnydog replied to mark1a | 2 months ago
1 like

Thanks for the reply gents, nah, it was definitely southwest France area, could've been Provence or Acquitance, and a race I'd never heard of ( been riding and watching races for 35plus years) and the Mrs was out, so got to watch all of it.😬. One of the best one day races, I've ever seen due to the weather, brakeaways crumbling in the wind, and insane speeds on the flat with the taily. Trees were bent double in places and one head section, that spectators were almost running alongside the riders. DS's whinging to the commissares that the race should be scrapped. Was trying to find it on google but failed miserably. I'll keep looking, thanks for replying.

Latest Comments