Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Join the Big Blue Bike Ride team - Prostate Cancer UK

Event title: Big Blue Bike Ride 2023
Event date: Sunday 10 September 
Event location: Windsor Football Club
Event organiser: Prostate Cancer UK
Cost of entry: £35 registration fee
Event linkhttps://prostatecanceruk.org/get-involved/big-blue-bike-ride

Take on Prostate Cancer UK’s Big Blue Bike Ride in Windsor on Sunday 10 September 2023. Ride and raise money to help beat prostate cancer – the most common cancer in men.  

Choose from two scenic routes at 40 or 65 miles. Both routes start at Windsor Football Club, passing by historic Windsor Castle and over the River Thames into Eton.  

Take a moment to reflect as you ride through our Mile for Men at Dorney Common. Visit the historic town of Marlow and explore the Chiltern Hills Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. Here, the routes break away - the Epic will continue to climb into the Chiltern Hills - before meeting the Classic again at Henley on Thames.  

Both routes finish back at Windsor Football Club, where there’ll be food, drink, music and a chance to meet other cyclists taking part. 

1 in 8 men are affected by prostate cancer in the UK. That’s thousands of dads, grandads, partners, brothers, and mates. By taking on the Big Blue Bike Ride, you’ll help fund lifesaving prostate cancer research, so the men we love can live long and live well. 

For more information, please visit our website, or email cycling [at] prostatecanceruk.org (subject: Big%20Blue%20Bike%20Ride%202023) (email the team)

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

Cugel | 8 months ago
2 likes

Perhaps a worthy cause, but ....

I've always found it s bit strange that people are asked to sponsor you for going out on an enjoyable bike ride. Also, if you believe in the value of the charity involved, why not just bung them some dosh yourself, direct.  That's what me and t'ladywife do.

It feels a bit like emotional blackmail to be asked to sponsor a bike ride enjoyer in support of a charity you may know nothing of and might not anyway want to support. Not so much when its by a website request but very awkward when its face to face.

In contributing to many charities, over the decades, I've often been dismayed to dicover that the rascals are not a charity but a business, with 95% going in salaries or "overheads" and the like to bureaucrats, PR reps, collection agencies, CEOs ....  and 5% to those supposedly the beneficiaries of the charity. (Not saying this is the case here - I've no idea what they do or how). These days, I check most carefully the organisations purporting to be charities. So many just ain't.

Rendel Harris replied to Cugel | 8 months ago
2 likes

I think it's fine to do a sponsored ride, it gives a focus to fundraising for a charity and perhaps nudges people to remember to donate when they might have been meaning to anyway… I certainly think it's impolite to ask people to their face, a round robin email with no pressure is best and it should contain a message explaining that you understand that some people will be giving their money to other charities or haven't got the money to spare. I certainly agree you should put your money where your mouth is, for each of the three big charity fundraisers I've done I've made a point of putting in the first £50 or £100 to show I don't just expect others to dip into their pockets.

Where I'm totally with you is in objecting to those rides where part of the sponsorship goes to the fundraisers having a once-in-a-lifetime experience – raise over £3000 of sponsorship and ride the Machu Picchu trail for free, that sort of thing. Would never do one and would never sponsor someone doing one.

chrisonabike replied to Cugel | 8 months ago
0 likes

You don't get something for nothing you know!

It's a continuum.  There are some out-and out scams.  There are some "aid projects" which are likely doing at least as much for the donor organisations in rich countries as the targets.  Then at the other end some people are just getting bled (often by themselves) for a cause.

I think (apart from martyrs and scammers) most charity is a bit like a (ground / air source) heat pump.  You can extract energy (money) but you need some to put in.

So donors get something.  Obviously "feeling good" but also having some extra motivation for having some experience.  Yes, perhaps they could do it by themselves - but it's easier this way, or maybe you just can't get to do the thing otherwise.  And for the charity things get organised / money gets concentrated in return for giving some people a career in charity fundraising / administration.

Can't recall the sketch show but am thinking about one with a guy going round an office getting sponsorship to travel some place and when asked "and what's the charity, what's this for?" looks at them oddly and says "it's just for me!"

Cugel replied to chrisonabike | 8 months ago
1 like

chrisonatrike wrote:

Ha ha - that's the very definition of charity.

Some charities are trooly-so - all those doing stuff via the charity do so for others and for no reward or return other than the pleasure (and perhaps kudos) of doing so. If you "help" someone for pay, you're just working .... in a business (HelpRus: £29 an hour; limited service; no guarantees).

chrisonabike replied to Cugel | 8 months ago
0 likes

Cugel wrote:

chrisonatrike wrote:

Ha ha - that's the very definition of charity.

Some charities are trooly-so - all those doing stuff via the charity do so for others and for no reward or return other than the pleasure (and perhaps kudos) of doing so. If you "help" someone for pay, you're just working .... in a business (HelpRus: £29 an hour; limited service; no guarantees).

Well that was m'point - in that case for the "something" you're getting pleasure or kudos (or feeling it's your role, calling or maybe even identity...)

But I don't want to slice and dice (I'm just off out on the bike).

Brauchsel replied to Cugel | 8 months ago
1 like

"Also, if you believe in the value of the charity involved, why not just bung them some dosh yourself, direct.  That's what me and t'ladywife do."

Lots of people don't though, either through inertia or just that they don't think of it. So, events where people take on some kind of challenge do tend to raise more money than just hoping people will randomly donate: it's why they're organised. 

I don't fundraise for rides/runs, partly through sheer embarrassment and partly because they're my hobby and it feels wrong. It's kind of bitten me on the arse now though, as I really want to do the London Marathon and could raise the required amount at a push, but my preferred charities have declined me presumably as I have no track record and lots of others do. My rational mind accepts this completely: it's how they raise money and they shouldn't risk a miserable loner like me not raising enough. My bitter side is annoyed that I won't get a shot at a good time, while others will essentially get to walk round because they're good at getting the sponsorship in. And I can't prove myself in another event because I can't ask people twice!

Charities will be registered with the Charities Commission and the Fundraising Regulator, and basically they're legit if they are and aren't if they're not. I don't see a problem with them being run as businesses: I'd rather have well-paid professionals raising and spending millions for beneficiaries than well-meaning amateurs getting out of their depths with the governance that is (rightly) required. 

Good luck to these guys: I'm away on the event date, but will certainly consider it for next year. 

ktache | 8 months ago
2 likes

I think this is the sort of spam posting that we can all get behind.

Best of luck and Thank You.

Latest Comments