Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

Killer Truck, Dude (Slate.com)

Interesting US article about Big Cars:

Quote:

Killer Truck, Dude
How will you feel when it actually does?

https://slate.com/business/2022/02/suvs-pickups-heavy-huge-deadly-dont-b...

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

ktache | 2 years ago
0 likes

And they are big on gas guzzling, what with oil prices going up.

Hirsute replied to ktache | 2 years ago
2 likes

Just read that a local car park has increased the size of the bays to accommodate larger vehicles. Seems the wrong solution to me.

Why do we need such big vehicles?

brooksby replied to Hirsute | 2 years ago
0 likes

Remember when Minis were - well - "mini"?

Captain Badger | 2 years ago
2 likes

Great article Brooks, thanks for posting

Simon E | 2 years ago
6 likes

The bigger the car gets the more of an arsehole the driver is likely to be.

There are exceptions but generally SUV drivers tend to be particularly arrogant and selfish.

But the scariest stat is that 70% of pedestrians in a front blind spot struck and killed in a driveway or parking lot are either the driver's own child or a close relative.

brooksby | 2 years ago
7 likes

Slate wrote:

Congratulations on the purchase of your brand-new pickup truck!

Whether you bought a Sierra, like the one in the photo above, or a Yukon, which the tweeter mistakenly thought he was standing next to, or a Ram or a Silverado or a Jeep Gladiator or any other megatruck or monster SUV, you’re making an announcement to the world. It’s not the announcement you think it is, though. It’s not about your wealth or your toughness or your masculinity. No, you’ve announced, very clearly, that you don’t care if you accidentally kill a stranger. You’re saying: “I’m totally cool with someone else dying because of a decision I made.”

Argus Tuft replied to brooksby | 2 years ago
0 likes

I always wanted a Chrysler 300c (Hemi,white with standard wheels and nice quiet exhaust) and,working on the principle of only living once,treated myself to one a couple of years back. 

Occasionally,material stuff can make you happy. I only drive about once a week,pottering around with a silly grin,going up the hills slowly, listening to the mellifluous warble of the big motor. I'm a pussycat of the road now,relaxed as a limp rag.

I've suffered from buyers remorse several times,but in this instance,I'm just sorry I didn't spoil myself sooner!

brooksby replied to Argus Tuft | 2 years ago
2 likes

I honestly can't decide if you are trolling or have spectacularly missed the point... 

Latest Comments