Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Shimano Ultegra Compatibility

If I'm reading the Shimano Di2 compatibility chart correctly, the front ST-6870 shifters going to a SM-EW67 junction to an FD-6870 will work with a RD-R8050 rear derrailleur without having to do any mods and/or firmware changes. I'm getting cross signals from several people and want to make sure everything is hunky-dory before I pop for the RD-R8050.

Thanks for your inputs.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

3 comments

mark1a | 6 months ago
0 likes

If you have the older SM-BTR1 (external) or SM-BTR2 (internal) battery, it may not work and if you have the SM-EW67 junction you probably do. There's a better chance of the RD-R8050 working if you have the BT-DN110 battery. I don't think this works with that junction so you'll need the SM-EW90 for that to work. 

I know you said you'd rather not do any updates but if you have access to a SM-PCE02 linkage device, this will allow you to check and update individual components separately without having the whole system connected and working first. 

You could try the newer rear derailleur first and I'd be interested in how you get on. 

mike the bike replied to mark1a | 6 months ago
3 likes

mark1a wrote:

If you have the older SM-BTR1 (external) or SM-BTR2 (internal) battery, it may not work and if you have the SM-EW67 junction you probably do. There's a better chance of the RD-R8050 working if you have the BT-DN110 battery. I don't think this works with that junction so you'll need the SM-EW90 for that to work. 

Now I remember why I'm sticking with manual gears.

Critman replied to mark1a | 6 months ago
0 likes

Correction to junction box, I have the SM-EW90-A. Installed the RD-R8050 and it crashed the Di2 system. It appears firmware updates are needed. Since I don't know which component requires an update/s I'll do it when I get the FD-R8050.

Thanks for your help, mark1a.

Latest Comments