Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Tubeless repair kit

Hello thanks for all the reply's re my schwalbe patch repair !..anyway I guess I had better get myself a tubeless repair kit for the road .

I have schwalbe pro ones 700x30 which don't seem to get much love here but I have only had them one season and a few hundred km so hopefully will get this summer out of them ...but which tubeless repair kit would you experienced tubeless guys go for dynaplug or stans ect ?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

14 comments

Cdl888 | 1 year ago
1 like

Not sure if selling is allowed on the forum, but if anyone is interested in a Dynaplug Racer I've just listed one on FB Marketplace for £25 posted. I recently treated myself to the newer Racer Pro version that carries 4 plugs and don't need two tools. 

bobrayner | 1 year ago
0 likes

One more vote for the Dynaplug Racer. It's small & light, effective, and easy to use even when it's raining and your fingers are numb and your wits addled by a long hard ride.

Also, it's durable. I got a nasty puncture on gravel a year ago; the Dynaplug got me home. The tyre was new at the time, and a year later the plug is still in there whilst the rest of the formerly-knobbly tyre has worn down til it's almost slick; I think the Dynaplug is stronger than the rest of the tyre. I've given up carrying tyre levers &c in my saddlebag, a bit of CO2 and a dynaplug is more than enough.

IanMSpencer | 1 year ago
1 like

I would add that if you are going tubeless, try getting the tyre off in the comfort of your own home.

While tight tyres aren't strictly a tubeless problem, there is an extra problem - tubeless tyres stick to the rim due to sealant. I now carry a pair of pliers having stood by the roadside while 6 of us took it in turns to free a Schwalbe One from a Hunt carbon rim... 20 minutes later we did it and were able to insert a tube. I've also had to use pliers at home. There is a tyre gripper tool you can buy which has gained popularity with the older members who don't have the strength to wrangle tyres.

I stunned one of our members by changing a tyre without levers yesterday - but that happened to have a nice deep well - a recent Bontrager tubeless ready rim but the rider was using tubed tyres (30mm I think)..

Cdl888 | 1 year ago
0 likes

The Dynaplug racer is awesome. Tiny, weighs nothing and really easy to use compared to anchovies.

peted76 | 1 year ago
0 likes

I brought the stans when it came out becuase it was cheaper than the dynaplug one at the time and I wanted a contained easy to use unit (after bad experiences with old school slugs).. I still haven't used it.. I'm sorta looking forward to it, one day.. 

The Dynaplug one is supposed to be the one to have, buy that one.

Chris Hayes replied to peted76 | 1 year ago
0 likes

I have a Dynaplug which I bought because the Lezyne kit I had before it didn't work.  Sorry to say that the Dynaplug isn't a surefire fix either.  

I tried repairing a road tyre 'at home' with very mixed results.  It's a 'get me home at best' .... as would be a patch and a replacement innertube. You also need to be really careful that the force you need to apply to get the plug through the tyre doesn't then rip the rim tape. 

Have to say I'm not massively convinced that tubeless are the way forward for high pressure, low volume road tyres...I've had instances where they have worked and others where I've been stuck by the roadside covered in slime and spitting blood. 

Hirsute replied to Chris Hayes | 1 year ago
0 likes

Dynaplugs have rounded ends to stop rim tape damage, they also provide instructions on how best to plug larger or difficult shapes. Also it is important to insert the plug at the right angle.

I agree about higher pressures - I think you need 32mm tyres to justify it.

hawkinspeter replied to peted76 | 1 year ago
1 like

peted76 wrote:

I brought the stans when it came out becuase it was cheaper than the dynaplug one at the time and I wanted a contained easy to use unit (after bad experiences with old school slugs).. I still haven't used it.. I'm sorta looking forward to it, one day.. 

The Dynaplug one is supposed to be the one to have, buy that one.

I've used the Dynaplug once and it worked beautifully. Took only a couple of minutes to push the plug in the hole, rotate the wheel a couple of times to slosh sealant around and then CO2 it (with the valve uppermost to prevent the sealant setting from the cold gas). I didn't bother trimming the ends as I figured they'd just get squished into the tyre and worn down soon enough which they did.

ktache replied to hawkinspeter | 1 year ago
1 like

Dynaplug when I can afford it, went for lifeline's, only a fiver, bit of a small tool. Difficult to shove in, replaced with muc off, bigger tool and nice pouch, two different size anchovies, and protective thing on prongs.

Gave the lifeline to bloke at work, who had just gone tubeless.

hawkinspeter replied to ktache | 1 year ago
1 like

I did try using a Genuine Innovations kit, but I had trouble using the two-pronged tool and it soon became a single-pronged tool which had no chance of working.

KDee replied to hawkinspeter | 1 year ago
0 likes

I've managed to cover just over 2000km running tubeless (32mm Conti GP5000's) without a puncture as far as I can tell. The whole time I was carrying a tube etc. but have just bought a Ruzer repair kit instead. Was wondering whether to pack a cheap pair of nail clippers to trim the ends of the plug strip if necessary...but by the sounds of it, probably not necessary?

hawkinspeter replied to KDee | 1 year ago
3 likes

KDee wrote:

I've managed to cover just over 2000km running tubeless (32mm Conti GP5000's) without a puncture as far as I can tell. The whole time I was carrying a tube etc. but have just bought a Ruzer repair kit instead. Was wondering whether to pack a cheap pair of nail clippers to trim the ends of the plug strip if necessary...but by the sounds of it, probably not necessary?

I carry a tube and a repair kit as a big tyre cut would need more than an anchovy. It also means that you can give a tube to a cyclist in need.

ktache replied to hawkinspeter | 1 year ago
0 likes

Big fat heavy tube and set of park tyre boots. Just in case. Even taking care of the spare tube, talked, tissue papered and multiple plastic bags, will probably replace after 5 years. When you need it in an emergency, you really need it.

Hirsute | 1 year ago
1 like

If you have money to spend, the dynaplug is the best.

Otherwise the links I gave in your other thread.
Personally, I found the cheap ones awkward to use, but others found them fine, so may be dexterity comes into it.

Latest Comments