Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Void clothing "Screen" usage

Hi, Just wondered if anyone owned one of the VOID screens and to see how useful they are?

I have a thermal jersey but find that when i stop at cafe stop, can get a bit cold.

These Screens i think are like a thin possibly not windproof top but just an extra thin layer for warming but trying to work out how useful one would be. Good price for a christmas present!

Thanks

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

15 comments

peted76 | 3 years ago
0 likes

A 'screen' is usually a thin arm layer, they are quite popular in sunnier climates.

If you want an arm warmer by the castelli nanoflex, there's a reason why they are popular.

If you're getting cold on a coffee stop:

First thing is to undo your clothes and let the condensation out of your clothing before it turns to wet clothes, if you clothes turn from warm sweat to cold you've stopped for too long.

Invest in a decent base layer - you can't go wrong with a Rapha base layer the pro one for milder fast rides and merino for colder or more social rides. If you buy a 'thin one' then be aware that any makes of thin base layers are very similar, chapeau make one almost the same as rapha at a fraction of the cost.. I've not seen anyone produce a better merino long sleeve base layer than rapha though

Keep your core warm. Probably the most exciting base layer/gillet I've seem recently is the Spatz BurnR gilet, it is expensive, but Spatz are killing it for cold and wet weather performance. Their gillet is sort of tight knitted very stretchy and has a windproof part over the shoulders and chest where you need it most.

Chris Hayes | 3 years ago
1 like

Having looked at the advert it is pretty clear that they arm warmers... even a sleeveless Void vest is €35.00, so I doubt that they would sell a long-sleeved base-layer for less.  The sizing is also a clue: S,M,L versus more sizes for other garments. By way of another clue, all the models in the photos are adjusting either their cuffs or their SS hems... should have been a detective...

But the advert is as clear as mud.  I even went to the Swedish website to see if it was clearer in Swedish - but that website is in English too. 

Q: why do you get cold arms when you're wearing a thermal vest?  Sounds like you might need that gilet?

Yorkshirelad1 replied to Chris Hayes | 3 years ago
0 likes

I think you might be right actually Chris thanks, it doesn't clearly show the product, just on the models but i think they might just be arm warmers as you say!

I have Sportful arm warmers which work well, DHB leg warmers less so and my legs are usually cold after a ride.....they're the thermal ones too!

Think i need some full thermal leggings rather than just legwarmers.

I've got a reflective vest which will be used to help shield my core from the wind all being well.

Also just if this helps anyone, i bought the Chapeau 3 seasons glove the other week. They're not as windproof as i hoped, but there's essentially a flap that you put over your fingers that does make them windproof! Not as good as my Fox MTB gloves that are fully windproof......not that anyone's going to be riding a roadie in Fox Gloves!

Chris Hayes replied to Yorkshirelad1 | 3 years ago
0 likes

I run cold too and have been wearing tights and a winter jacket for weeks.  Even my shorts are thermal - and my bright pink neoprene overshoes come off in May and go back on again in Sept.  You probably don't want to hear this, but some of the best winter stuff I have is Assos, bought at JE James in Rotherham 17-odd years ago and are still going strong (apart from one of the tight legs that laddered last week where they'd stitched on a pointless plastic label. Still, 17 years, 3 days a week, 6 months of the year means I can't complain).  

I've wasted a lot of money on other brands in the meantime, but their winter gear is superb if you ride through the winter.  On the bright side, if you're getting cold at cafe stops Boris has fixed that for you - for the next few weeks at least - so you can save your cake funds and blow it on new gear.  Best of luck mate. 

wycombewheeler replied to Yorkshirelad1 | 3 years ago
0 likes

Yorkshirelad1 wrote:

I think you might be right actually Chris thanks, it doesn't clearly show the product, just on the models but i think they might just be arm warmers as you say!

I have Sportful arm warmers which work well, DHB leg warmers less so and my legs are usually cold after a ride.....they're the thermal ones too!

Think i need some full thermal leggings rather than just legwarmers.

I've got a reflective vest which will be used to help shield my core from the wind all being well.

Also just if this helps anyone, i bought the Chapeau 3 seasons glove the other week. They're not as windproof as i hoped, but there's essentially a flap that you put over your fingers that does make them windproof! Not as good as my Fox MTB gloves that are fully windproof......not that anyone's going to be riding a roadie in Fox Gloves!

I don't think my legs are ever cold after a ride. above 10c normal shorts, between 3c and 10c nanoflex knee warmers and thermal shorts, below 3c bibtights.

Hands and feet may be cold, but never legs

PaulBox | 3 years ago
0 likes

I would say that a good quality base layer under your thermal jersey would be more effective than the screens. The screens seem to be like an over-jersey or think jacket to provide some protection while descending in cold conditions.

You will always get a bit colder when stopping, your body temp will drop and so the sweat in your clothing will cool. If you use layers it should help move the sweat away from your skin.

Awavey | 3 years ago
1 like

Screens are like arm warmers in style but without the thermal roubaix lining,Morvelo do them as well, so it's just like the same thickness material of a short sleeve jersey,that combined together gives you a long arm version.

FWIW I've tended to use them as UV protection on my arms for sunny days I cba with suntan lotion or its summery but a bit cooler by the coast in the wind, which may give you an idea how good they are at keeping you warm  1

wycombewheeler | 3 years ago
1 like

I think they are arm warmers, no use at all for maintaining core temperature at a cafe, useful for keeping wind chill off arms.

evidence 1 - in some of the pictures the models are claearly adjusting the cuff

evidence 2 - one size. any other type of top will come in sizes.

Evidence 3 - price £30 for the screens against £140 for a jersey or £110 for a gilet

PaulBox replied to wycombewheeler | 3 years ago
0 likes

wycombewheeler wrote:

I think they are arm warmers, no use at all for maintaining core temperature at a cafe, useful for keeping wind chill off arms.

Evidence 3 - price £30 for the screens against £140 for a jersey or £110 for a gilet

Blimey, that was about as accurate as a Donald Trump tweet...

They aren't arm warmers. Adjusting cuff is evidence of what? Three size options. What does a lower price prove?

wycombewheeler replied to PaulBox | 3 years ago
1 like

PaulBox wrote:

wycombewheeler wrote:

They aren't arm warmers. Adjusting cuff is evidence of what? Three size options. What does a lower price prove?

1) Evidence that the focus of the image is the arm warmer and not the short sleeve jersey in the same image

2) my mistake there are sizes, however the fit is described as unisex, any other cycling garments sold as unisex? male and female torsos have very different shapes

3) you don't get a whole top for £30 from a company selling jerseys at £140, unl;ess amsively discounted in the sale

Since you have pulled me up on the 3 sizes, you clearly looked at the product page

https://voidcycling.com/en-eu/products/p/4150201:Color=110/void-screens

But you obviously missed this

"Wear them for the chilly morning start of your all-day ride, put them on after your long mountain climb for added protection against the windy descent, or to keep the sun off your arms when the temperature gets hot."

Also look at the two photos on this product page, the jersey is different between the male and female photo, the only consistent part is the screen (arm warmer) being adjusted in both photo. If the 'screen' being sold is not the arm warmer how does the buyer choose which of the two styles on show they get?

Still think the void screens are some sort of gilet/jacket/over layer?

https://paria.cc/products/bleka-cycling-arm-screens

https://www.rapha.cc/gb/en/shop/pro-team-arm-screens/product/ASP01XXBLK

https://godfrey.co.uk/product/cycling-uk-arm-screens

Or is your point that screens are thinner than arm warmers and so totally different, which would be quite pedantic and misleading in the context if the original poster talking about them being some sort of top.

PaulBox replied to wycombewheeler | 3 years ago
0 likes

wycombewheeler wrote:

PaulBox wrote:

wycombewheeler wrote:

1) Evidence that the focus of the image is the arm warmer and not the short sleeve jersey in the same image

2) my mistake there are sizes, however the fit is described as unisex, any other cycling garments sold as unisex? male and female torsos have very different shapes

3) you don't get a whole top for £30 from a company selling jerseys at £140, unl;ess amsively discounted in the sale

Since you have pulled me up on the 3 sizes, you clearly looked at the product page

https://voidcycling.com/en-eu/products/p/4150201:Color=110/void-screens

But you obviously missed this

"Wear them for the chilly morning start of your all-day ride, put them on after your long mountain climb for added protection against the windy descent, or to keep the sun off your arms when the temperature gets hot."

Also look at the two photos on this product page, the jersey is different between the male and female photo, the only consistent part is the screen (arm warmer) being adjusted in both photo. If the 'screen' being sold is not the arm warmer how does the buyer choose which of the two styles on show they get?

Still think the void screens are some sort of gilet/jacket/over layer?

https://paria.cc/products/bleka-cycling-arm-screens

https://www.rapha.cc/gb/en/shop/pro-team-arm-screens/product/ASP01XXBLK

https://godfrey.co.uk/product/cycling-uk-arm-screens

Or is your point that screens are thinner than arm warmers and so totally different, which would be quite pedantic and misleading in the context if the original poster talking about them being some sort of top.

Lol, crap advert isn't it...

Chris Hayes | 3 years ago
0 likes

Do you mean a gilet?  There are plenty on the market....and they have their uses. Being Swedish, Void is  in the upper quartile of the pricing bracket.  Never owned any of their stuff so can't say much about the quality, but it's sold in some high end UK shops... Think if i was spending £100+ on a gilet it would be a Perfetto...warmer.

Yorkshirelad1 replied to Chris Hayes | 3 years ago
0 likes

Thanks no it's not a gilet as it's meant to be very packable. I know they're meant to be really good but I'm not bothered about Castelli as everyone wears it

fukawitribe replied to Yorkshirelad1 | 3 years ago
1 like

What's not packable about a gilet ?

Yorkshirelad1 replied to fukawitribe | 3 years ago
0 likes

Sorry i've got confused between a roubaix and a gilet!

Latest Comments