Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Woman's Hour - 25 September

I'm currently listening to Woman's Hour on Radio 4 (as they're about to feature some research I've been involved in).

They've had an item on transport/transport in the north (in the context of rumours around HS2).  It was really good - for once - to hear one of the guests call for more segregated cycling instrastructure; and how important that is for women.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

Cugel | 7 months ago
5 likes

Segregation isn't needed as the roads are excellent for cycling, technically. What's needed is segregation of incompetant and dangerous drivers from their cars, which should be taken away from them because they are four-wheeled blunt instruments with such a useless or aggressive drivist (male or female) in 'em.

Think how much money'll be saved by not having to build cycle paths paralleling every road! And those roads go everywhere, they do - unlike cycle paths, now or ever.

As to such segregation being particularly important for women ..... all the women cyclists I know and ride with are just as able to cycle well and with due care & attention to traffic as the menfolk. In fact, many of them are better, possibly due to a lack of certain hormones or their eschewing a cultural upbringing full of mad Victorian assumptions about the various equally mad classes of folk those Victorians loved to imagine and the imaginary relative abilities or lack of them across these classes.

Part of the issue seems to be men telling women that they ought to be frightened of traffic when cycling; and the daft buggers believing what they're told! Once women were told they couldn't be doctors, engineers, soldiers or prime ministers. Cuh! to that, eh? Let the husbands change the bairn's nappy and do the hooverin' whilst the womenfolk go out on their bikes to the cafe, where they will tell risque jokes about blokes.  1

chrisonabike replied to Cugel | 7 months ago
2 likes
Cugel wrote:

Segregation isn't needed as the roads are excellent for cycling, technically.

You keep saying that but I'm still not sure you've had the pleasure of Scottish road surfaces. Or perhaps gravel - with added rocks - is your cup of grog?

Quite right that the proliferation of driving is it though.

Social norms must ultimately be the reason why more UK men cycle than women but I'm certain it's not as simple as you set out. Pretty sure eg. in NL such "protecting women" attitudes are similar yet vastly more women cycle there - and indeed slightly more women than men! I wonder what else could explain that? 🤔

Cugel replied to chrisonabike | 7 months ago
0 likes

chrisonatrike wrote:
Cugel wrote:

Segregation isn't needed as the roads are excellent for cycling, technically.

You keep saying that but I'm still not sure you've had the pleasure of Scottish road surfaces. Or perhaps gravel - with added rocks - is your cup of grog? Quite right that the proliferation of driving is it though. Social norms must ultimately be the reason why more UK men cycle than women but I'm certain it's not as simple as you set out. Pretty sure eg. in NL such "protecting women" attitudes are similar yet vastly more women cycle there - and indeed slightly more women than men! I wonder what else could explain that? 🤔

Do you feel that the existing cycling infrastucture (shared paths with peds and white-line murder gutters, for example) are better than the roads for cycling? If so, we must disagree. At least the pot-holed roads go places cyclists might want to go. The potholes might even keep the drivist mad speeders to the limits! 

Perhaps you should have a word with the Scotty road menders, to tell them to come to West Wales so as to learn how to do it. The roads out here really are excellent. Oh and with very low traffic, 99% of which is very considerate to cyclists. Coo - cyclist heaven. Suprising, then, that so few are seen about the place. I must have done 20,000 km since moving here 4+ years ago and have seen about 12 cyclists in total when out on the back roads.

What could explain all them Dutch lady cyclists? Well, nice cyce paths might play a small part (but would also appeal to the blokes, so it doesn't seem a likely differentiating factor). Perhaps the greatest factor is that the Dutch, like many other Northern Europeans, aren't so saddled with the over-dominant boy-racer culture that we suffer from in Blighty and other Anglo nations? The Dutch ride bikes primarily for transport rather than "to train" or pose as faux racing cyclists.

Women, being generally more sensible than we hormone-maddened blokes, tend to be more attracted to the practical than to the infantile. I know GCN, for example, has the odd female presenter (just one, is it?) but most of them are 11 year old silly boy-childs with some bike industry PR scripts about the latest bike-toys, eh?  I watch them briefly about once a month. Gawd, they give me the cringe (a sort of empathetic embarressment at their utter inanity)  1

Steve K replied to Cugel | 7 months ago
5 likes

Cugel wrote:

[snip]

As to such segregation being particularly important for women ..... [snip]

Part of the issue seems to be men telling women that they ought to be frightened of traffic when cycling; and the daft buggers believing what they're told! Once women were told they couldn't be doctors, engineers, soldiers or prime ministers. Cuh! to that, eh? Let the husbands change the bairn's nappy and do the hooverin' whilst the womenfolk go out on their bikes to the cafe, where they will tell risque jokes about blokes.  1

Except my post was about an item on Woman's Hour about transport priorities for women with a woman presenter and a female guest (and, indeed, a contribution from a female listerner).  Other than me reporting what I heard, there wasn't a male voice anywhere.

mark1a replied to Steve K | 7 months ago
1 like

Steve K wrote:

Cugel wrote:

[snip]

Except my post was about an item on Woman's Hour about transport priorities for women with a woman presenter and a female guest (and, indeed, a contribution from a female listerner).  Other than me reporting what I heard, there wasn't a male voice anywhere.

Quite clearly the BBC need to invite a male guest onto the show (possibly from West Wales) to tell them where they're going wrong.

Cugel replied to mark1a | 7 months ago
1 like

mark1a wrote:

Quite clearly the BBC need to invite a male guest onto the show (possibly from West Wales) to tell them where they're going wrong.

I am relieved that you at last have seen sense and come to appreciate my pearls. Perhaps you have been reprogramed with a better notion-grasping algo (that from the Mark VI c)?

Or perhaps your operator has noticed your generally hopeless and content-free comments so supplied a proper one whilst you were being recharged with the steam-driven alternator or having your stiff neck oiled?   1

Cugel replied to Steve K | 7 months ago
0 likes

Steve K wrote:

Cugel wrote:

[snip]

You heard one voice on that programme say something about seperate cycing infrastructure and, presumably 'cos you like the notion yourself, mentioned only that element of the programme.

In doing so, did you represent the full range of views expressed by all the participants in the discussion - or did they only discuss seperate cycling infrastructure? Seems unlikely.

Steve K replied to Cugel | 7 months ago
7 likes

Cugel wrote:

You heard one voice on that programme say something about seperate cycing infrastructure and, presumably 'cos you like the notion yourself, mentioned only that element of the programme.

In doing so, did you represent the full range of views expressed by all the participants in the discussion - or did they only discuss seperate cycling infrastructure? Seems unlikely.

What a strange reply.  Of course they only didn't discuss cycling infrastructure.  They discussed transport priorities for women in the north of England.  But I thought, as this is a cycling website, it might be of interest that the main guest for this segment talked about the importance of segregated cycle infrastructure.  I wasn't just generally reporting on Woman's Hour.  If I had been, I would have written at length about the interview with Dame Christine Lenehan which was partly about new research which I commissioned from Pro Bono Economics about the cost of Special Educational Needs and Disability Tribunals and partly reflecting back on her 40 year career in disabled children's services as she approaches retirement.  Co-incidentally, at her valedictory lecture in the evening, I spoke with one woman about safer streets, whilst also seeing another woman has been prominent in the protests against the recent Tower Hamlets decision to get rid of LTNs.

But, in terms of the "full range of views" I can confirm that no-one said we didn't need segregated cycling infrastructure, nor that the only reason women want them is because men tell them they should be scared of traffic.

TheBillder replied to Steve K | 7 months ago
4 likes

It was a really good segment on Woman's Hour and certainly made me think. My instant (erroneous) reaction was to wonder why this could be a gender-specific issue, only to be reminded that just getting about is often fraught with worry for women because of the risks caused by men.

And the parallel with cyclists as vulnerable road users is pretty obvious. A lot needs to be done.

Latest Comments