Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Spring Classics

I noticed that these races are now included in the 'Coming Up' list.

Last year all the races included in the competition were World Tour events, and Kurne-Bruxelles-Kurne was not included.

KBK is currently on this years list despite not being a WT event. Is this correct ?

Will Driedaagse Brugge-De Panne be included? This is WT in 2019

Thanks

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

177 comments

Dr Winston | 5 years ago
0 likes

Just looked at the update. Could be quite narrow field of choices for the next one...

Dr Winston | 5 years ago
2 likes

Almost forgot....as promised.

Lataest bike to get an overhaul....Carrera epic from the 1980’s. ...You can pick these up for buttons. 

Replaced the dreaded 380mm bars with Deda Elimentii specialii at 460mm wide (exact same profile as the originals)..a beautiful new and obligatory selle Italia 1980 turbo saddle...brand new unused exage brakes as exact swaps, amongst other stuff. All new cables...blah, blah, blah...basically rebuilt.

You  can’t beat a good old retro.

Dr Winston | 5 years ago
2 likes

Another view...

Gecko-cyclist | 5 years ago
1 like

Lovely bike - very classy rebuild.

Condor Andy | 5 years ago
0 likes

Can't believe I didn't get Van Der Poel in no

0 likes

Sagans form seems to be building - at least he's at the pointy end of races again but he still didn't look his old self last time out, mechanical or no.

He doesnt seem to chase down attacks like in former years if it risks dragging anyone to the line either. Is it because he's been burned too many times or because he's lacking that swagger he knows he can ride anyone off his wheel?

Much like Cavs attitude in recent years if he's not in a position to win in a bunch finish, he seems to sit up a bit more too. But then why would he care about another top 10 on his palmares?

He's a bigger gamble this year but still keeps appearing in my team. Notwithstanding all the above, when it clicks (as eventually I'm sure it must) he's awesome.....

Dr Winston | 5 years ago
0 likes

Having missed Sagan's illness a couple of weeks ago I've ditched both of Naesen and Gilbert who've both reported sick this week....Gonna hurt me isn't it?

Dr Winston | 5 years ago
0 likes

Well that was a bit meh. Sold Kristoff because I never expected him to last such a tough course in that company and sold Naesen due to him being ill and on anti biotics (HA!).....Betiol softened the blow a bit.

0 likes

Similar day for me. 6 riders in the first 16 and a proxy 76 points - it looked so good until bettiol broke free....
Still had a better day than poor old Terpstra though. Never nice when a riders out cold. hope it's just concussion.

MinardiM189 | 5 years ago
0 likes

Clean start for me tomorrow.

8 new sprinters in.

Which means it will probably be echelons and all the sprinters dropped.

jollygoodvelo | 5 years ago
0 likes

Just checking... Is the number of transfers in the Classics game correct? I thought it was eight per race so we could simply pick independently but I, er... Seem to have less than that. Somewhat belated realisation, my fault etc but wanted to check it's deliberate before I start trying to work out who might target AGR *and* Fleche...

0 likes

My team for Schelderpris -

ACKERMANN
JAKOBSEN
PHILIPSEN
WALSCHIED
KITTEL
HALVORSEN
VAN POPPEL B.
Van GENECHTEN

Fortunatley I switched Gibbons out before he was removed from the startlist, ill.

Perhaps my luck is turning.

Dr Winston | 5 years ago
0 likes

Uh oh......Echelons....we have Echelons.

" the peloton is already in pieces"....

Dr Winston | 5 years ago
0 likes

Just looking at the Roubaix line up. Does anybody else think it looks a bit thin on major riders this time?

0 likes

My team for today -

SAGAN
VAN AVERMAET
NAESEN
VAN AERT
LAMPAERT
KEUKELIERE
POLITT
LANGEVELD

Wishing I had got Senechal in there now, I think he could be the surprise winner today.

0 likes

You just can't cover all the possibilities can you?

My team

Kristoff
Van Aert
Stybar
Naesen
Van Avermet
Keukelaire
Pollitt
Phinney

Kristoff dropped and Van aert having terrible luck at the moment. This race is brutal!

0 likes

Strongest rider won today.

Very unlucky for Van Aert, so many problems and so much energy wasted chasing back on.

Vanmarcke with awful luck again, bike change right near the end.

Reasonable result for me I think, I never considered Gilbert after he was ill last week.

Dr Winston | 5 years ago
0 likes

Hoping for some better luck after the disaster of Paris Roubaix. Picked Kristoff and missed the entire thing as I spent the entire afternoon in the emergency dentist with the abscess from hell....the hell of the north so to speak....or rather not speak.

0 likes

I expect most people with enough transfers left will have 6 of the same riders.

So De Brabantse Pijl competition will probably come down to the two remaining picks.

0 likes

My team for today -

ALAPHILIPPE
MATTHEWS
COLBRELLI
WELLENS
SMITH D.
LAMBRECHT
BETTIOL
VAN DER POEL

Went for a couple of outside bets in Lambrecht & Smith. Not too sure about Smith as he missed Itzulia with illness but didn't fancy picking Impey.

I should have gone with Peron for the break as a safe bet and 10 points.

0 likes

Almost identical for me - As Dr. winston says this one picked itself although that could be distastrous as usual!

Smith looked lively last time out but I wasn't sure if Mitchelton would be riding for Impey - Having said that the same will be certain for my alternative Hirschi and Matthews.

ALAPHILLIPE

MATTHEWS

COLBRELLI

WELLENS

LAMBRECHT

BETTIOL

VAN DER POEL

HIRSCHI

Dr Winston replied to Condor Andy | 5 years ago
0 likes

Condor Andy wrote:

My team

Sagan
Ewan
Viviani
Gaviria
Bettiol
Rowe
Maetsri
Schonberger

Went for the last two because they were prominent in the Tirreno breaks and they're there again today!

Not so brave for me. I went with a mix of sprinters and others. Probably a good call to nail your colours to the mast with sprinters because even if they don't win they'll be up there. I've mixed in Alaphillipe and Kwia who likewise should be in the mix somewhere if they don't win...

0 likes

Condor Andy wrote:

Well I got the spectacularly wrong! Seems if a group with the world champ, european champ, polish champ, slovenian champ, slovakian champ gets away on the Poggio then they STAY away.

Seems that way. Great ride by that front group...outstanding. I had two dithers...Alaphillipe or Sagan and Kwia or Trentin. Guessed right on both...but it really was a guess.

Condor Andy replied to MinardiM189 | 5 years ago
0 likes

MinardiM189 wrote:

Another poor result for me -

Half my riders for today removed from the start-list.

Yeah rough one, a few sprinters stayed on, but the climbers have all gone. Normal service resumed at E3 on Friday.

Dr Winston replied to JohnnyRemo | 5 years ago
0 likes

JohnnyRemo wrote:

Feck! Missed the cut-off for E3. Ah, well - everything riding on Connor Dunne, then...  3

Very annoying. Done it once this season and dropped like a stone. I suppose everybody will miss one or two.

Oddly I missed two in the Vuelta game last year which actually helped me win it...just got lucky missing the right ones.

Dr Winston replied to MinardiM189 | 5 years ago
0 likes

MinardiM189 wrote:

Another fuck-up for me.

I was planning to bring in Stybar and Keukeliere but didn't get around to it (I forgot).

My head got turned by a slightly more favourable race for Trentin over Stybar next timeout. Sometimes you can know too much,

Dr Winston replied to MinardiM189 | 5 years ago
0 likes

MinardiM189 wrote:

Pity there weren't a couple less riders in the break.

I had half my team in the front group, then 3 of the 5 in the smaller lead goup.

Not too bad at the end of the day, Degenkolb came home 2nd.

With 51 transfers left for the remaining races hopefully I can work my way up the leaderboard.

Poor day for me really. Didn’t see any of the actual races due to Mother’s Day stuff. 

So many great riders and not much to pick between them. My mistake was going with Viviani...he’s obviously fantastic but just feels wrong for these races.....i’m scared of not having him.

Dr Winston replied to Gecko-cyclist | 5 years ago
0 likes

Gecko-cyclist wrote:

LOl. Other nationalities are available...

Yeeeaaah...That’s what I need...and just about right.

The riders of the classics to me  are like supermen. Really strong and built from left over bits of deadnought battleships from World War One....Viviani does indeed feel more like a fluffy teddy bear by comparison...but a very fast one...

stevemarks replied to Dr Winston | 5 years ago
1 like

Dr Winston wrote:

Almost forgot....as promised.

Lataest bike to get an overhaul....Carrera epic from the 1980’s. ...You can pick these up for buttons. 

Replaced the dreaded 380mm bars with Deda Elimentii specialii at 460mm wide (exact same profile as the originals)..a beautiful new and obligatory selle Italia 1980 turbo saddle...brand new unused exage brakes as exact swaps, amongst other stuff. All new cables...blah, blah, blah...basically rebuilt.

You  can’t beat a good old retro.

Beautiful

0 likes

Condor Andy wrote:

Can't believe I didn't get Van Der Poel in no

Can’t have them all. 

What are are your thoughts on Sagan?...hardly been pulling any trees up lately... Do you think he’s struggling to get it back together again after his illness (didn’t actually see his last race)...

Pages

Latest Comments