Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Alternative for shimano crank?

Looking to replace my Ultegra 6800 crank/chainset on my S Works SL4. Replacing for 2 reasons.. going to 170 as it came with 172.5mm and all my other bikes are 170mm ,but also because I read more and more about breakages of these bonded cranks.
But what do I replace it with? I'd like to keep the 24mm bottom bracket as,so far,it isn't creaking like some do in these frames.
I've looked at Rotor,which do 24mm axles and do like the look and the fact I can go for oval rings... but they ain't cheap. Just thought I'd post to see if there are any other options.. or has anyone tried the new Shimano cranks.. have they sorted the problems?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

45 comments

Themadchemist replied to Themadchemist | 1 year ago
0 likes

Just an update.. I bought the 5800 crank arms to use with some 6800 chainrings I'd bought last year. Turns out these chainrings are R8000,not 6800 as advertised,so they ended up on ebay and I've found a Rotor 3d24 with Q rings that will get fitted when I get the time during the winter. I'll let everyone know how I get on with the Q rings when I use them next year. Again,thanks for all the help and suggestions

The _Kaner replied to Themadchemist | 1 year ago
0 likes

Themadchemist wrote:

Just an update.. I bought the 5800 crank arms to use with some 6800 chainrings I'd bought last year. Turns out these chainrings are R8000,not 6800 as advertised,so they ended up on ebay and I've found a Rotor 3d24 with Q rings that will get fitted when I get the time during the winter. I'll let everyone know how I get on with the Q rings when I use them next year. Again,thanks for all the help and suggestions

Did you find which BB is installed? Is the 24mm spindle running on adapters in a press-fit BB30/PF30 shell/bearing?

If that is the case and you want to replace it, then you could go for the Token Ninja kit. It will come with the suitable adapters for the BB30/PF30 shell and you'll have peace of mind, knowing that you'll have a "screw-in" BB. better to have the 24mm spindle load on bearings meant for a 24mm spindle, than on a 30mm bearing with adapters in between. This way the adapter interface is with the BB shell and it is all clamped together with the screw thread of the Ninja BB/.

https://www.velozone.co.uk/products/token-ninja-bb-3-in-1-package-bottom...

Themadchemist replied to The _Kaner | 1 year ago
0 likes

Thanks for this..and the link. Looks like a great idea for when i need to replace the BB. I've not looked that closely at the BB,but expect it's on the adapter that comes with the frame from Specialized? I'm sure i read somewhere that the frame comes with BB adapters.. i don't know much about pushfit i'm afraid, which is why a Rotor 3D24 chainset is the easiest change for me.

Richbeck | 1 year ago
2 likes

+1 for middleburn. R02 is the one you need.

ktache | 1 year ago
2 likes

Middleburn.

markysparks | 1 year ago
3 likes

I was in the same position a while back and changed to a 105 crank/chainset (R7000) which has been trouble free. Cheaper and only a little bit heavier than Ultegra. Apparently 105 is constructed differently to Ultegra and Dura Ace and hasn't suffered from the same breakage issues you mentioned.

Themadchemist replied to markysparks | 1 year ago
1 like

Yeah,I'd been told 105 are constructed differently ,not bonded like my 6800 and modern ultegra and Dura ace.
105 might be a cheaper option,but i am trying to keep the weight down.. hence looking at Rotor. Anyone have any experience which Rotor..positive,or negative?

wtjs | 1 year ago
4 likes

Ask HP, and stand back!

hawkinspeter replied to wtjs | 1 year ago
6 likes

wtjs wrote:

Ask HP, and stand back!

I tried replacing my Ultegra crank with a few strands of (uncooked) spaghetti held together with a bit of duck tape. It's not ideal, but seems a lot stronger than Ultegra/Dura-Ace cranks.

wtjs replied to hawkinspeter | 1 year ago
2 likes

I tried replacing my Ultegra crank with a few strands of (uncooked) spaghetti held together with a bit of duck tape

A true Fellow in Spirit for me. Somebody who just can't let things go!

Hirsute replied to wtjs | 1 year ago
3 likes

I'm sure your dying words will be about lancs police failure to take action !

wtjs replied to Hirsute | 1 year ago
1 like

I'm sure your dying words will be about lancs police failure to take action !

Lancashire Constabulary, like our loathsome, lying fat b****** prime minister, is on borrowed time

srchar replied to hawkinspeter | 1 year ago
0 likes

hawkinspeter wrote:

spaghetti

That's nothing. My Dura Ace crank failed just as my elbow was clipped by a passing car.

In Lancashire!

The police weren't interested in the close pass, but did open an investigation into my excessive swearing. Luckily, I had cam footage to prove that I was swearing in the direction of the crank, not the driver.

I ride Campag now, and I'll never return to Nob End.

Themadchemist replied to srchar | 1 year ago
0 likes

I had read that some Dura Ace cranks had also failed,which is bad for such an expensive item,and the reason i've gone for something different than Shimano. I think i'd better not cycle in Lancashire cos i've been known to swear enough to make a docker blush!

Steve K | 1 year ago
7 likes

What about 105 cranks rather than Ultegra?

Pages

Latest Comments