Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Car crashes into building - please post your Local news stories

Running this one up the flagpole to see who salutes... 

I just don't remember this being a thing until recently, now it seems a daily occurrence.
Could it be that there are drivers not up to the job, too many cars; should houses be made to ride in single file, shops put on high viz, why are we putting newer buildings in danger like this, it's irresponsible. 

https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/18649201.car-crash-wall-iceland-s...

'A Dorset Police spokesperson said: "Dorset Police was called at 12.48pm on Thursday, August 13, to a report of a collision involving a car and a wall outside Iceland on Poole Road in Bournemouth.

"It is reported that the vehicle was also in collision with a pedestrian, but they did not require medical treatment." ' 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

2449 comments

Cargobike | 3 years ago
5 likes

A quick search of the Derby Telegraph site reveals over half a dozen stories of cars and houses colliding over the last year.

Even more worrying is the number of cars that have ended up on their roofs in the last 6 months, considering 3 of them were in lockdown. What could drivers be doing that could distract them so much that they were unable to keep their vehicles the right way up?

brooksby | 3 years ago
1 like

Slightly (very?) OT, but the wands put up on Monday/Tuesday of this week to protect the cycle lane on Perry Road in central Bristol have all been knocked down/run over.  I mean, they are so very hard to see...

David9694 replied to brooksby | 3 years ago
0 likes

I've seen a story in the Dorset Echo that an existing cycle lane on Weymouth's Dorchester Road has been widened by a whopping 30cm - I almost want there to be a derisory comment from A Gammon. 

Hirsute replied to brooksby | 3 years ago
0 likes

Perhaps it was a wobbley cyclist.

brooksby replied to Hirsute | 3 years ago
1 like

I was riding up a hill in a high gear!  Please just let it go.

1 like

Sorry - just my warped sense of humour.

brooksby replied to Hirsute | 3 years ago
0 likes

hirsute wrote:

Sorry - just my warped sense of humour.

"Warped", or - perchance - "wobbly"?? 

0 likes

According to my colleagues very warped.

David9694 replied to brooksby | 3 years ago
0 likes

Roads like that are for cars - you should avoid them like the plague.

fukawitribe | 3 years ago
1 like

Always seems to have been a thing IME, can't say i've noticed it getting particularly better or worse over the last few decades but i'm not really keeping count to be honest...

LetsBePartOfThe... | 3 years ago
14 likes

David, I think you're being a little bit harsh on this one.
It's actually extremely difficult to give a mobile phone your full attention, and then to drive a vehicle at that same time. Especially if you have to grip the steering wheel between your knees whilst being literally forced to overtake a cyclist. And new buildings are often put up where least expected. Plenty of drivers every day are still avoiding crashes into roadside dwellings, so we do have to keep this in some kind of perspective.  
I also think the homeowners often overreact. I mean come on, it's just one wall usually. No wonder the drivers typically leave on foot straight away, and don't go back to the vehicle keeper's registered address for 24 hours.

David9694 replied to LetsBePartOfTheSolution | 3 years ago
3 likes

I see the error of my ways - cyclists and probably pedestrians too are clearly the complicating factor - it's hard enough to do all you describe and avoid a static target, but one that keeps moving, and wasn't even there this morning...

ktache | 3 years ago
3 likes

You are aware of the excellent "Audis in houses"?

Seems to be updated regularly.

Not as many new posts from AsEasyasRidingaBike, shame.

Notbuilt2climb replied to ktache | 3 years ago
0 likes

Had not seen Audis in houses before but it is truly excellent as you say.  I don't know where to start with questions or comments on some of those pictures.  My head hurts!!!!

David9694 replied to Notbuilt2climb | 3 years ago
1 like
Achtervolger | 3 years ago
3 likes

I can't post any specific local news items, but I certainly see a fair few car-sized holes in dry stone walls when I'm out cycling in the Peak District.

Pages

Latest Comments