Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Giro stage 16

Looks like it may be cancelled on the Stelvio as it's snowing heavily. A shorter route planned with much less climbing and lower category mountains ie no Cima Coppi. Hope you haven't changed your team yet!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

73 comments

drheaton | 9 years ago
0 likes
cyclingnews wrote:

14:13:44 CEST

Not confirmed yet but we think that Evans and Pozzovivo are currently a minute down on the Uran group.

and

cyclingnews wrote:

Crikey Cadel ‏@CrikeyCadel 3m

Just chatted with BMC soigneurs waiting for @CadelOfficial and @BMCProTeam on #Stelvio with cup of tea and new clothes #ThisAintPicnic

Basically, Evans and Pozzo having bad days, lots of attacking off the front, no idea whether the stage will be cancelled/shortened or what but lots of people complaining about the conditions.

Joelsim | 9 years ago
0 likes

Depends where you read it. Evans and Pozzo are either a minute up or a minute down.

Who knows!

livestrongnick | 9 years ago
0 likes

89km remaining

Pelizzoti
Cataldo
Vuillermoz
Leading the stage

allezrider | 9 years ago
0 likes

Cataldo took Cimo Coppi on the Stelvio

drheaton | 9 years ago
0 likes

Crazy race, reports of the descent from the Stelvio being neutralised only for Cataldo to attack and put three minutes into the peloton on the way down and for Quintana/Rolland to put two minutes into Uran who got dropped along with Evans/Aru/Majka.

No sign of Pozzovivo at all.

chrisdstripes | 9 years ago
0 likes

Yep - position at the intermediate sprint (32km out) was I think...

Cataldo solo
Vuillermoz, Dupont, Pantano @1:02
Quintana, Rolland, Izagirre, Rabottini, Hesjedal @1:46
Maglia Rosa and most of the other contenders @3:20ish

Regardless of what on earth has gone on up to now, we're set for a great finale!

TERatcliffe26 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Another terrible day for my team, gonna easily drop out of the top 100 tonight

0 likes

I think the Maglia Rosa group is...

Uran
Aru
Landa
Pozzovivo
Evans
Rogers
Majka
Kelderman
Lampre I think is Anacona
Kiserlovski
Seb Henao

About 1:45ish off Rolland, Quintana, Cataldo with Hesjedal close behind...

Thats with 17km of climbing still to go...

0 likes

8km to go, with Quintana/Rolland/Hesjedal in the lead. Stragglers have all been swallowed up, so Maglia Rosa group is second group on the road.

If telly time-gap is correct, Quintana group is 2:30 ahead, which would put Quintana 2nd and Rolland 5th. Surely some attacks soon from the Uran group...

0 likes

Rolland is cooked, hopefully he can find a rhythm and hang on for third. Another awesome ride on the Stelvio stage from Hesjedal, somehow hanging on to Quintana.

Kelderman, Majka, Uran, Pozzovivo, Aru and Henao have ditched Evans and Kiserlovski...

0 likes

Quintana
Hesjedal
Rolland @45 secs-ish
Kelderman great ride to pull away in the last 2km @3:30
Pozzovivo
Aru
Majka @4:07
Henao
Uran

0 likes

GC
1 Quintana
2 Uran @1:41
3 Evans @3:21

Hesjedal is 9th, with less than a minute separating 3rd-9th!

chiv30 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Well that was a mess dropping kelder and poz  31

allezrider | 9 years ago
0 likes

I put in Wellens and Monsalve hoping they might take the fight to Arredondo - waste of 2 transfers  102

Stumps | 9 years ago
0 likes

1,3,4,5,6,7 plus kiserlovski not bad  4

Joelsim | 9 years ago
0 likes

If I'd not made any transfers, I would have been 4 transfers and about 50 points better off. Bugger.

backflipbedlem | 9 years ago
0 likes

Similar to most I think
1,3,4,5,6,7 plus Arrendondo

Ghedebrav | 9 years ago
0 likes

Enrico Barbin last man home, bags me ten points and nudges me over the line for the 200 stage points badge!  36

Ghedebrav | 9 years ago
0 likes

By the way, does anyone know what happened to Scarponi? He's listed as DNF and I didn't see the stage at all in the end; was there a crash or has he simply retired?

And Swift coming in 25th?! I know we breed 'em tough in Yorkshire but that's not half a bad effort for a lad who's a sort of punchy rouleur. Ahead of Niemiec, Roche, Cunego etc.

Joelsim | 9 years ago
0 likes

No strategy now. I'm as cooked as Evans. Looking forward to the Dauphine.

Joelsim | 9 years ago
0 likes

Yep, so nearly 10 points

simon F replied to chiv30 | 9 years ago
0 likes
chiv30 wrote:

At least I only dropped wilco. Why do I keep thinking Duarte will do something  2 I would have had 1,4,5,6,7,8,9 otherwise. Oh well, it's only points.

enrique replied to Joelsim | 9 years ago
0 likes
Joelsim wrote:

If I'd not made any transfers, I would have been 4 transfers and about 50 points better off. Bugger.

Damn...  39 What's your strategy going to be now?...  2

enrique replied to simon F | 9 years ago
0 likes
simon F wrote:

Why do I keep thinking Duarte will do something?  2 ...

It's puzzling yesterday he comes in 2nd and today he comes in 130th?...  45

simon F replied to enrique | 9 years ago
0 likes
enrique wrote:
simon F wrote:

Why do I keep thinking Duarte will do something?  2 ...

It's puzzling yesterday he comes in 2nd and today he comes in 130th?...  45

It's infuriating. I dropped Wilko for him, lost 27 points and missed out on my 200point badge. That's the only one, apart from the 2K badge which I should get today, which I'm missing and likely to get this comp. I really can't see me getting any of the top row.

chrisdstripes replied to chiv30 | 9 years ago
0 likes
chiv30 wrote:

Ouch! Yeah me too - I didn't think either of them looked so good on the weekend.

I got 1,3,6,7,9 from my 5 GC guys, and maybe another 15 points from my other 4, so slight improvement for me.

chiv30 replied to chrisdstripes | 9 years ago
0 likes
chrisdstripes wrote:
chiv30 wrote:

Ouch! Yeah me too - I didn't think either of them looked so good on the weekend.

I got 1,3,6,7,9 from my 5 GC guys, and maybe another 15 points from my other 4, so slight improvement for me.

Looking back on it I guess I only lost out on kelds points as I replaced poz with Rolland ....

Joelsim | 9 years ago
0 likes

Bugger. That's me done for the comp I think.

simon F | 9 years ago
0 likes

Gavia KoM :-
1 Chalapud
2 Arredondo
3 Pantano

Joelsim | 9 years ago
0 likes

Let's assume that Ulissi wins at the top of the Gavia, Wellens 2nd, Monsalve 3rd, Arredondo 4th (yea I know I am dreaming), but that would put the cat amongst the pigeons (32, 20, 14, 10 points on offer).

Then the Stelvio...40, 28, 21, 15.

If Ulissi was to take both of those he would have 111. Arredondo if 4th in both would have 100.

Pages

Latest Comments