Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Giro stage 16

Looks like it may be cancelled on the Stelvio as it's snowing heavily. A shorter route planned with much less climbing and lower category mountains ie no Cima Coppi. Hope you haven't changed your team yet!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

73 comments

simon F | 10 years ago
0 likes

Pictures in Italian http://www.hahabar.com/20140506/v-haha_sport_9_name-814507-536810cd7dc42...

Chalapud on the attack.

Helicopters seem to be grounded so live pics a bit intermittent.

Or French if you prefer http://www.stream-foot.tv/channel1.html

TERatcliffe26 | 10 years ago
0 likes

I believe Ulissi is 3rd on mountains, and doubt he will catch Arredondo, I see Wellens as Arredondo's only serious competitor for the comp now. Arredondo will score some points, and at already nearly double that of Ulissi I can't see Ulissi putting too much in to trying to catch him.

Staying together as group could the just see the likes of Wellens and Arredondo fighting for the points at the top of the Gavia

JAndrewHill | 10 years ago
0 likes

Seems they might ride the Gavia as a group, well that's the rumor see how conditions are; so maybe no break

Joelsim replied to JAndrewHill | 10 years ago
0 likes
JAndrewHill wrote:

Seems they might ride the Gavia as a group, well that's the rumor see how conditions are; so maybe no break

That wouldn't surprise me, no point in trying to get away on a downhill.

I'm surprised more people haven't picked Ulissi, he is 2nd on the KOM classification and finished the last stage 16 mins down, obviously taking it easy. Or he has given up!

enrique replied to Joelsim | 10 years ago
0 likes
Joelsim wrote:

I'm surprised more people haven't picked Ulissi, he is 2nd on the KOM classification and finished the last stage 16 mins down, obviously taking it easy. Or he has given up!

I wonder which one it is...  39 Did you see where he finished today?... Wow...

enrique replied to enrique | 10 years ago
0 likes
Joelsim wrote:

I'm surprised more people haven't picked Ulissi...

Maybe you should bring him back for one of the breakaways on Stages 18 or 20...

0 likes

Gone like this, could go horribly wrong though based on what you guys are saying. (having said that I had a decent first week, a terrible 2nd week, so how about a great 3rd week  39 )

Quintana
Pozzovivo
Kelderman
Uran
Majka
Aru
Arredondo
Wellens
Quintero

ray silvester | 10 years ago
0 likes

Top of the Gavia earlier today

pic.twitter.com/HSILMtoVfk

livestrongnick | 10 years ago
0 likes

Purely badge collecting now. Want the podium badge but think tomorrow may be more chance of that  39

1 change(5 for tomorrow) today dropped kelderman for Rabottini

Monslave
Wellens
Arredondo
Evans
Uran
Aru
Pozzo
Majka

ray silvester replied to livestrongnick | 10 years ago
0 likes
livestrongnick wrote:

Purely badge collecting now. Want the podium badge but think tomorrow may be more chance of that  39

Monslave
Wellens
Arredondo
Evans
Uran
Aru
Pozzo
Majka

Welcome to the Rabo-train........I was beginning to think I was mad picking him!!

livestrongnick replied to ray silvester | 10 years ago
0 likes
ray silvester wrote:
livestrongnick wrote:

Monslave
Wellens
Arredondo
Evans
Uran
Aru
Pozzo
Majka

Welcome to the Rabo-train........I was beginning to think I was mad picking him!!

He's currently off the back with Basso 2mins back  24

backflipbedlem | 10 years ago
0 likes

Duarte
Arredondo
Majka
Aru
Quintana
Monsalve
Pellizotti
Rolland
Kelderman

0 likes

EBH withdraws.......

cherrypicked | 10 years ago
0 likes

Duarte and wellens in for kelderman and Godoy. Banking on Quintana and pozzovivo being better than they are trying to portray.

I picture the two of them with a two minute lead on the final climb
'No, I'm sicker than you, you take the lead'

chrisdstripes | 10 years ago
0 likes

I was fairly conservative as I wasn't sure what was happening with the weather. Was always thinking De Gendt for today if Uran was out of the running, and Pirazzi if not, but thought Wellens was too obvious to miss, so couldn't quite afford Pirazzi. Ditched Pozz. Have a feeling Rolland might be the guy who really takes off this week.

Quintana, Uran, Aru, Majka
Arredondo, Wellens, Pellizotti, Rolland, Armee

adholman | 10 years ago
0 likes

Well, I've taken a risk and dumped Pirazzi and Pozzovivo and brought in Quintana, Rolland, Wellens and Monsalve, hoping to make up for a few disastrous transition stages last week  16

drheaton | 10 years ago
0 likes

Quintana
Uran
Majka
Kelderman
Aru
Arredondo*
Zardini*
Wellens*
Monsalve*

* are for the break, rest for GC. I dropped Pozzo (illness), Landa, Duarte and Bandiera so hoping none of them does much (Duarte is my main worry, I believe the stories of illness re Pozzovivo).

Joelsim | 10 years ago
0 likes

Mine could all go horribly wrong, and given the fact that I haven't made a break so far...and I'm 89 points behind the leader, in desperation I picked the following.

Julian David Arredondo (TFR)
Rafal Majka (TSB)
Diego Ulissi (LAM)
Yonathan Monsalve (NRI)
Wilco Kelderman (BLK)
Nairo Alexander Quintana (MOV)
Fabio Aru (AST)
Tim Wellens (LTB)
Fabio Andres Duarte (COL)

cgipryan replied to Joelsim | 10 years ago
0 likes
Joelsim wrote:

Mine could all go horribly wrong, and given the fact that I haven't made a break so far...and I'm 89 points behind the leader, in desperation I picked the following.

Rafal Majka (TSB)
Diego Ulissi (LAM)
Yonathan Monsalve (NRI)
Wilco Kelderman (BLK)
Fabio Aru (AST)
Tim Wellens (LTB)

I'm just behind you in the GC (3 points behind, I think), but chapeau for the bravery!

Joelsim replied to cgipryan | 10 years ago
0 likes
cgipryan wrote:
Joelsim wrote:

Rafal Majka (TSB)
Diego Ulissi (LAM)
Yonathan Monsalve (NRI)
Wilco Kelderman (BLK)
Fabio Aru (AST)
Tim Wellens (LTB)

I'm just behind you in the GC (3 points behind, I think), but chapeau for the bravery!

Yes I saw Festina looming on the table, and seeing as though I'm 10th and I may as well be 100th, I decided to take a risk and go for it. If it works great, if it doesn't then all I've lost is a few places. No prizes for 4th or below and I already have a pair of sunnies for the Giro.

0 likes

[/quote]

Yes I saw Festina looming on the table, and seeing as though I'm 10th and I may as well be 100th, I decided to take a risk and go for it. If it works great, if it doesn't then all I've lost is a few places. No prizes for 4th or below and I already have a pair of sunnies for the Giro.[/quote]

I missed podiums this year by risking too much at the back end of races trying to go all out for the win (had a flourish of non-podium top 10s as a consequence), so I'm trying a more conservative approach to see where that will take me... probably nowhere, I fear...

enrique replied to Joelsim | 10 years ago
0 likes
Joelsim wrote:

Rafal Majka (TSB)
Diego Ulissi (LAM)
Yonathan Monsalve (NRI)
Wilco Kelderman (BLK)
Fabio Aru (AST)
Tim Wellens (LTB)

Joelsim wrote:

...seeing as though I'm 10th and I may as well be 100th, I decided to take a risk and go for it.

I don't think that's quite the risk you seem to think it is... It actually seems extremely sensible to me... not (!) desperate at all (!). All the guys you picked for the break are the Top 4 in the KOM competition... so it makes sense they'd fight it out today... no real risk there... unless they stayed in the bunch and sent out teammates to nullify any gains made by the others, which doesn't sound right... but I don't think that's a desperate move at all (!)... I really can't imagaine any of the GC guys bothering to hit out from afar, so I think you're covered (!) Even the guy at the top of the rankings probably considered doing what you did as the most sensible thing to do today...  7 I think it will pay off for you handsomely you slick player you!  4

cgipryan wrote:

I'm just behind you in the GC...

You're playing well, too! Chapeau to you too!  41

0 likes

Ive got Quintana ad Pozz, I did fancy Rolland, but in order to have Rolland I couldn't have my guy for the break (1 of them), well I have three for the break, but 1 is a 3 credit rider.

0 likes

1 change today as targetting the sprint tomorow with 7 transfers....was going to save 8 but read that Scinto was talking up Rabottini's chances on the Stelvio a couple of days before the Depart in Belfast.

Rabottini in for Ulissi

Evans
Pozzovivo
Aru
Majka
Kelderman
Rabottini
Arredondo
Kiserlovski
Romero

dave atkinson | 10 years ago
0 likes

4 in the break for me*

*they won't be in the break

cgipryan | 10 years ago
0 likes

Just took my guys for the break... I regretted my choices as soon as I hit the green button... long day coming up...

Joelsim replied to cgipryan | 10 years ago
0 likes
cgipryan wrote:

Just took my guys for the break... I regretted my choices as soon as I hit the green button... long day coming up...

If it makes you feel any better Quintana has an ear infection and Pozzo has bronchitis.

We'll soon see.

Stelvio looks very cold indeed on the webcam.

http://www.passostelvio.com/ita-webcam.php

0 likes
Joelsim wrote:
cgipryan wrote:

If it makes you feel any better Quintana has an ear infection and Pozzo has bronchitis.

I have some mild doubts on both the ear infection and the bronchitis, so I kept Quintana and Pozzo... I was just saying that I regretted not picking other breakaway guys...

JAndrewHill | 10 years ago
0 likes

My plan, GC all the way and one for the sprint. Full House here I come.

Joelsim | 10 years ago
0 likes

I have had several plans, this time it's shit or bust. Pirazzi and Rolland are good shouts

Pages

Latest Comments