Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Planet-X RT -58 Carbon - which one?

Hello everyone.

I have been following the forum for a while and learned a lot here (thanks!) but this is my first post. I started daily commuting in London some years ago and have been riding an hybrid Tachyon GT 4. I have done quite a few thousand miles on it and enjoyed changing various parts as they gave up the ghost.

I think I am ready to try a road bike. I'd go for alloy but I can see the price of carbon frames has plummetted while I was learning to cycle, so I am quite tempted. I see many here stating that the RX-58 Carbon by Planet-X is a perfectly OK frame. Can I check with you whether this comment applies to someone heavier than average (90kg) who would need a fairly comfortable bike? I do 15miles daily without a problem and want to do longer stints at weekends.

If the frame is fine, can I ask you for advice between the

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXRT58RIV22BNC/planet-x-rt-58-carbon-sram...

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXRT58CTIA/planet-x-rt-58-shimano-tiagra-...

Shimano or or Sram? Both at £799 right now.

I've been with Shimano on previous bikes but they were cheap groupsets so I guess these are completely different pieces of kit.

Thanks!

Alex

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

74 comments

PonteD | 9 years ago
0 likes

I have a planetX proCarbon and have been vey happy with it. For some reason PlanetX rarely gets mentioned in reviews, but when they have articles about the top 10 bikes for £XXX read the comments and there are many who are fans of them.

The reviews for the Canyon Al bikes say they are excellent frames and there's very little between these and a carbon frame. I was looking at the canyon aluminium models before I visited the PX showroom, it was only once there I got my bike as it was on offer and it was too good to turn down. One thing about a decent Al frame is that you'll likely get a better groupset for the same money. It's not unusual to get Ultegra on an Al bike at the same price as a 105 equipped Carbon bike.

Mrmiik | 9 years ago
0 likes

Carbon isn't necessarily going to be any lighter at this price point. Not sure about the weights for the PX. One of my Alu bikes is the same weight as my carbon one. Go figure.

Alu will probably be much more stiff though! Sounds like you are after comfort though.

bashthebox | 9 years ago
0 likes

I don't subscribe to alu being better than low end carbon at all. Planet X get their frames direct from factory, presumably in Taiwan or China. The frames those factories pop out can be nothing short of astounding for the money.

Batchy replied to bashthebox | 9 years ago
0 likes

An ex pro cyclist friend of mine has just recently returned from Taiwan. He has brought back two genuine CAAD 10 frames from the factory where they are made. They cost him £225 each. They retail in the UK for £799. Most frames carbon or otherwise come from the same Chinese/Taiwanese factories they just have different badges on. True some bike companies have their own R&D and QC and according to PX this is the case with the RT 38 Carbon frame.

redmeat replied to Batchy | 9 years ago
0 likes
Batchy wrote:

An ex pro cyclist friend of mine has just recently returned from Taiwan. He has brought back two genuine CAAD 10 frames from the factory where they are made. They cost him £225 each. They retail in the UK for £799. Most frames carbon or otherwise come from the same Chinese/Taiwanese factories they just have different badges on. True some bike companies have their own R&D and QC and according to PX this is the case with the RT 38 Carbon frame.

Yeah but they're 'cheap for a reason'

Batchy replied to redmeat | 9 years ago
0 likes

In what context is cheap. Does this mean inferior or just less expensive to manufacture?
Does expensive mean superior or just costs a lot more to buy because of marketing hype?

Some products are loving had crafted and designed to a very high standard in small numbers using the best materials available .These products will naturally be far more expensive to buy. They may well look better and perform marginally better. You will probably have make a special order at your LBS to get one of these products.
Therefore if it is in stock and more or less readily available it will have been made using a more industrial production line to reduce costs and be more accessible to the general public. To all intents and purposes and given decent specifications these products will arguably perform much the same as the hand crafted very expensive products. The most important factor to take into account with mass produced items is quality control not necessarily price. Some people make the assumption that for example a Chinese or Taiwanese worker is somewhat interior to a European one. There was a time, when I was a lad, when some folk poked fun at the first Toyota cars to arrive on these shores. Well they don't poke fun anymore do they. Especially in Sunderland !
I many cases a brand name and glossy marketing can blind gullible people into assuming they are buying a superior product. I recently checked out a Trek Madone it was priced at £2500. My PX RT58 with same level of spec cost me £1800. The Trek's wheels could be bought at Wiggle for £115. Mine has £500 Mavics ! No contest !

Mrmiik replied to Batchy | 9 years ago
0 likes

The cost is generally in the development, infrastructure and marketing - not manufacturing. All the stuff the PX naysayers are mentioning come from Taiwanese factory's too... So errr.

Look a schwalbe constructing an entire factory just for their new one tire. The rubber and construction of the tire is cheap enough to achieve. Figuring out how to design a fantastic race tire - less so.

The design of the Madone to be aero yet stiff and light enough is the cost there. You are paying for that.

alexwlondon | 9 years ago
0 likes

thanks everyone for your comments on the components

dazwan, this is indeed the precise point I'd like to understand. The problem is that I do not know enough. Why should a high end alu frame better than a low end carbon? Will it be softer? More comfortable? More versatile in case I'd like to use the bike for commuting too?

Clearly carbon will be lighter - why shouldn't I go for it?

Sorry if this is obvious to some. If it's been discussed several times, please do feel free just to suggest a link.

Thanks again everyone!

fukawitribe replied to alexwlondon | 9 years ago
0 likes
alexwlondon wrote:

dazwan, this is indeed the precise point I'd like to understand. The problem is that I do not know enough. Why should a high end alu frame better than a low end carbon?

There are probably some bloody awful 'quality' aluminium frames and very good 'low' end carbon one - and vice versa - and the 'high end' frame may not be suitable for what you want (ride, position etc) - it's just not that simple. Don't get caught up on materials.

As mentioned, if you can get into the shops and have sit on the bikes, see what takes your fancy, arrange a test ride if possible (remember, they're trying to sell something to you) and go from there.

If you're buying online, like PlanetX, Canyon etc, then you'll probably have to go on reviews, forum posts etc and choose the general type of bike is suitable for you - the RT-58 sounds like a good one for all round riding and the SRAM model, in particular, seems excellent value.

Mrmiik | 9 years ago
0 likes

A quality aluminium frame is going to be better than a low end carbon one.

There is a reason why people rave about the likes of CAAD, Kinesis, canyon Alu despite the availability of cheap carbon.

Best advice is to go in shops, look around, get an idea of what's out there - make sure it fits.

PonteD | 9 years ago
0 likes

And making personal attacks on people in public forums on people you don't know or have never met makes you a better person?

Lighten up, I treat everyone with dignity and respect, don't confuse sexism with a light hearted joke.

crikey | 9 years ago
0 likes
Quote:

I know it's almost like a woman liking a car for the colour

Are your knuckles always sore?

It's because they are dragging on the ground...

PonteD | 9 years ago
0 likes

I know it's almost like a woman liking a car for the colour, but id go for the SRAM purely for the fact the gear cables are routed out the rear of the brakes hoods, relatively minor, but once your bars are full of tat (GPS, lights, cameras, bells, etc.) those cables get in the way. At least with the SRAM your cables are routed along the bars and exit the bar tape with the brake cables and keep the space on front of the stem fairly clean.

I have Rival 20 and prefer it to Shimano, not as smooth though (smooth gear changes can be a welcome relief on a long ride though) but I like the reassuring clunk on gear changes.

kwi | 9 years ago
0 likes

The Rival is pitched at the same level as the Shimano 105 if that helps. Though I see it's not a full Rival GS.
I'm running the Rival 22 at the moment and am more than happy enough, though it took a few rides to get used to the double tap shifters I do prefer them.

Pages

Latest Comments