Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Plastic rim strip issue?

I had to fix rear punctures on my afternoon commute both this past Friday, and yesterday (Monday.) Both punctures were on the inside of the tyre -- the rim side. As it has hub gears and is a pain to remove the wheel, I patched without removing the wheel, so I know it's not from the same location as they were in different places on the tube.

No spokes are anywhere near proud of the spoke holes, and the rim strip has no holes in it. I've experienced this before, a few years ago, and my theory is that this new-fangled one-piece plastic rim strip shifts sideways, and exposes sharp edges to the tube, eventually wearing them down. I've never had this issue with Velox tape.

See how it waves side to side?

This edge feels sharp enough to wear a tube, and sticks up proud of the rim bed at the edge.

I have a tick over 5000 miles on this bike, original tyres and tubes, but I think this rim tape was new a couple of thousand miles ago when my rear wheel was rebuilt after a few broken spokes. I've had about a half dozen punctures on this bike.

Anyone else experienced this? I'm probably going to get some tubeless tape today and convert them to tubeless anyhow.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

Sniffer | 1 week ago
1 like

A couple of years ago I had similar problems on my commuter.  Cheap factory made rim brake wheels.  A succession of front wheel punctures.  Checked carefully for the bit of glass or whatever in the tyre each time.  Changed the tyre and then clocked that all the puntures were on the rim side.  Removed the plastic strip, put old fashined rim tape on and the problem was resolved.

No obvious sharp edge when the plastic was present.  I suspect you don't need muc of one though.

ktache | 1 week ago
0 likes

Had a weird problem end of last summer, on the Getting to Work bike, 26inch latex tubed, while the Rohloff was getting seals replaced, and on multiple occasions i got back to the bike after work to find i had a flat tyre.
Every time the failure just off the valve, in line with the tape, Mavic tape on Crossrides, might have also happened at home in the morning, but as that's far less traumatic, I don't seem to remember. At least 3 times at work, both front and rear, causing me to miss a train too, but pleasant weather, maybe a little too warm. Spare tube and no sharps so easy enough.
Spent an evening or two putting preventative patches where the failures were occurring.
That put a stop to it, odd though that in a previous winter, same tubes, rims and tape, slightly different Contis, but for many months it had never happened. Just that weird late summer.

hawkinspeter | 1 week ago
3 likes

Sounds odd to me - I'd doubt that the plastic rim strip would cause a puncture. I'd guess it's more likely to be some fragment of metal or glass that's somehow got in.

As I'm on here, I think I'll share my unfortunate fettling episode this morning. I figured I'd put some air in the rear tyre and check that the sealant level and then lower my saddle about 5mm to see what kind of difference that makes (after seeing that article about bike fitting).

So, happily removed the valve core and shoved in the sealant syringe and found that it was virtually dry, so put in 40ml and inflated it and saw that a previous puncture opened up again, so I left it with the puncture in the 6 o'clock position in the hope that it would seal again.

Meanwhile, I figured I'd check the front wheel sealant level. Removed the valve core and annoyingly, the plastic extension piece (I'm running 60mm deep rims and MilkIt valves that have a rubber seal on the bit inside the tyre) got stuck in the valve. No problem - just unseat one side of the tyre and get to the bottom of the valve and push out the plastic bit. Reseated the tyre and inflated no problem.

Meanwhile, my rear tyre had leaked out almost all the new sealant that I'd put in, so removed the valve core again and this time, the plastic extension piece got stuck. Swore a bit and then did the same thing as with the front - reseated, refilled and reinflated. Put the wheel back on the bike and that's when I noticed that the freewheel hub was completely knackered - unless you want a rear wheel freewheeling both directions.

Luckily, I've got my previous rear wheel still lying around and waiting for me to replace a spoke that I've never got around to. So, took off the freehub and moved it onto my current rear wheel (they're both made by Prime, so I was confident that it would fit). Put the wheel back on and then realised that the puncture just wasn't sealing, so after failing to find a pack of anchovies that must be around somewhere, I thought screw-it and just put a new tyre on instead.

(I did lower my saddle a bit - I'll try it out tomorrow)

andystow replied to hawkinspeter | 1 week ago
0 likes

hawkinspeter wrote:

Sounds odd to me - I'd doubt that the plastic rim strip would cause a puncture. I'd guess it's more likely to be some fragment of metal or glass that's somehow got in.

I couldn't see anything. Each puncture was a millimetre or two long, and longitudinal to the tyre. It seems odd that the last time this tyre was opened before Friday's puncture was three months and 1000 miles ago, so if it was the same bit of debris it took that long to make the first puncture, and less than 50 miles to make the next one.

andystow | 1 week ago
0 likes

Action shot.

andystow | 1 week ago
0 likes

Also, this is not the cause, but there's a pretty good burr here, and it's disappointing that this one ugly spoke hole made it past QC. I ground it off with a Dremel after taking this photo.

Latest Comments