Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Seasucker plus mudguards

Like the look of the seasucker roof racks- anyone know how they play with full guards? Obviously depends on geometry but is the bottom of the front guard likely to hit the roof? Do spacers move the bike high enough to clear? Also I imagine without the front wheel the front guard is effectively a huge parachute straight into the wind. Likely to be any problems with that at 70mph?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

rjfrussell | 5 years ago
0 likes

on subject of seasucker-  is there any conversion kit for thru axles?

Dr_Lex replied to rjfrussell | 5 years ago
0 likes

rjfrussell wrote:

on subject of seasucker-  is there any conversion kit for thru axles?

yes, although I bought the 15mm one and put a reducing sleeve in for my 12mm axle. As sea-sucker lack UK distributor, it wasn’t worth buying the 12mm direct.

As noted regarding mudguards, you’ll need to check your set-up; my partner’s bike has ‘guards that just brush the roof, so wedge in a piece of foam, as it’s short distances on 50mph limit roads. You could probably fashion a riser block without compromising safety.

nniff | 5 years ago
0 likes

I've got a bike with mudguards that fits happily on an estate car roof.  Best thing to do is to run a straight edge from the front QR to the bottom of the back tyre and see if it clears the mudguard.  Then take into account the two inches of extra height in the seasucker.  THe biggest problem is a pedal/crank touching.  I tie one crank to a chain stay with a length of old inner tube to make sure it can't rotate.

That bike won't fit on a BMW Z4, because the front suckers are on the roof and the rear one is on the boot.  Bikes without mudguards fit no problem (same caveat for cranks, but more so)

rdmp2 | 5 years ago
0 likes

@canyon thanks, as I thought 

@brooksby err...

brooksby | 5 years ago
0 likes

I saw the headline for this and thought we had a Grant Peterson acolyte on here asking about seersucker... yes

Canyon48 | 5 years ago
0 likes

I have to take off my front mudguard when I put my bike on the seasuckers as it hits the roof.

I also think 70mph is just a tad too much for a mudguard!

As you have to take out the front wheel anyway, taking off the mudguard isn't too much of a hassle. 

Latest Comments