Home

I am a new cyclist and I want to go to a race which is 85km long, the most I have ever cycled is 25km, am I being too ambitious? one month left to prepare.

14 comments

Avatar
mike c [9 posts] 1 month ago
0 likes

By the way, I have padded shorts and chafing cream, tip-top shape bike and well-lubricated chain.

Avatar
kil0ran [1463 posts] 1 month ago
1 like

Depends on your level of fitness. How did you feel after 25k?

Avatar
Nick T [1273 posts] 1 month ago
1 like

85km race? Or sportive? I wouldn’t expect you’d enjoy trying to hold race pace for that long, is that you in your avatar?

Avatar
Xenophon2 [40 posts] 1 month ago
1 like

If you're the guy in the picture then a sportive over 'normal' terrain (=no mountains or big hills all the time) shouldn't be a problem provided your equipment is ok and you start building up the distances you ride over the next weeks.  Even if you don't prepare but are in good shape then yes, you'll be able to do it but whether you'll enjoy the experience or be able to walk easily the next day are different matters.

If it's a race with trained participants then the short answer is likely no, except if you have the condition of a top athlete.  Speeds are usually high and you need to be able to keep them up over time.

Read up a bit on (competitive) cycling:  it's about more than just showing up with a nice bike and in decent shape.

 

Avatar
fenix [1188 posts] 1 month ago
3 likes

Are you going to watch a race or competing ?

Cycling 85k would be doable with training.

Racing 85k is a different matter altogether.

Avatar
fenix [1188 posts] 1 month ago
1 like

Are you going to watch a race or competing ?

Cycling 85k would be doable with training.

Racing 85k is a different matter altogether.

Avatar
Bobbinogs [307 posts] 1 month ago
1 like

Yepp, the OP needs to be a bit clearer on what they mean by "Race".  Most new/non cyclists refer to any organised event as a race, whereas the majority of events are just that, an event to be enjoyed at a comfortable pace.  OP, if you can 25km now, then you should be able to do an 85km event in a month's time.  Just ride regularly (more than once a week) and aim to increase the longest ride each week by a reasonable amount (say 35km this week, 45km next week, 55km the week after and then 85km on the day).  Keep your pace steady on the day and don't get swept up into the thrill of it all by working too hard for the first half.

If the OP really does mean "Race", then I would say probably no chance, but that is very dependent on natural ability and the level of racing.

Avatar
crazy-legs [1086 posts] 1 month ago
1 like

OP: have you got a link to the actual event in question?

Plus a bit  more about you - what bike you've got, have you ever done any group riding, where you're used to riding (ie is it hilly, flat, urban...)?

Avatar
davel [2722 posts] 1 month ago
1 like

If it's at all hilly, for an initial event, I'd train for the ascent first, distance second.

Avatar
mike c [9 posts] 3 weeks ago
0 likes
kil0ran wrote:

Depends on your level of fitness. How did you feel after 25k?

Tired legs, nothing more.

Avatar
mike c [9 posts] 3 weeks ago
0 likes
Nick T wrote:

85km race? Or sportive? I wouldn’t expect you’d enjoy trying to hold race pace for that long, is that you in your avatar?

yes, in my club kit.  My goal is to finish, and still want to ride the next day.

Avatar
mike c [9 posts] 3 weeks ago
0 likes
Xenophon2 wrote:

If you're the guy in the picture then a sportive over 'normal' terrain (=no mountains or big hills all the time) shouldn't be a problem provided your equipment is ok and you start building up the distances you ride over the next weeks.  Even if you don't prepare but are in good shape then yes, you'll be able to do it but whether you'll enjoy the experience or be able to walk easily the next day are different matters.

If it's a race with trained participants then the short answer is likely no, except if you have the condition of a top athlete.  Speeds are usually high and you need to be able to keep them up over time.

Read up a bit on (competitive) cycling:  it's about more than just showing up with a nice bike and in decent shape.

 

 

Thank you. No big mountains but there are some hard climbs.

Avatar
mike c [9 posts] 3 weeks ago
0 likes
davel wrote:

If it's at all hilly, for an initial event, I'd train for the ascent first, distance second.

Very helpful, thank you.

Avatar
Grahamd [1031 posts] 3 weeks ago
0 likes

Your club riding friends will have a much greater appreciation of your ability than this forum. Have you spoken with them yet?