Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

Don't upset the motorists! (Guardian article)

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

24 comments

kil0ran | 4 years ago
1 like

I see that the result of the parliamentary debate was "meh, we don't care enough to make a change"

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/236952

quiff replied to kil0ran | 4 years ago
0 likes

kil0ran wrote:

I see that the result of the parliamentary debate was "meh, we don't care enough to make a change"

To be fair, the parliamentary debate showed that a number of MPs care very greatly and there is cross-party support for increasing the maximum sentence for death by dangerous driving, but the government doesn't have the legislative bandwidth to do much but Brexit.

kil0ran replied to quiff | 4 years ago
2 likes

quiff wrote:

kil0ran wrote:

To be fair, the parliamentary debate showed that a number of MPs care very greatly and there is cross-party support for increasing the maximum sentence for death by dangerous driving, but the government doesn't have the legislative bandwidth to do much but Brexit.

The debate made it clear that the removal of the maximum sentence for offences is a simple piece of legislation to pass - a single clause bill was mentioned. That would be better than kicking it into the weeds. Whilst I find it reprehensible that drivers who kill multiple victims "kill one, get one free" that's not going to change any time soon.

My long-standing view is that we need escalating sentencing for driving whilst disqualified (or unlicensed). All offences where injury has occured should result in a three-year ban with an extended retest following mandatory retraining, and if you're found driving whilst DQ you go to jail for the length of the ban. I think that would be a much bigger deterrent than a possible life sentence.

kil0ran | 4 years ago
0 likes

I wonder if he'll get the usual treatment in prison doled out to child-killers?

David9694 | 4 years ago
0 likes

It would be nice to think that the motorist / empathy / “we all make mistakes” thing might reduce once he offender is found to be doing over 50 in a 30.

In terms of defmaation, court proceedings (and an accurate report thereof) are the same as Parliament - absolute privilege applies. 

A tragic case.  One, I’m sorry to say, of a string past and present.  Each one is news, then falls away, lost in wider scheme of things.  A way needs to be found to counteract this.

Luca Patrono | 4 years ago
2 likes

As usual, the best mitigating factor a person can have when being tried for causing death is to have been using a car at the time. Nice to see that it now works to shield scum who blast down residental streets in stolen vehicles at nearly triple the speed limit from having to suffer the guilt they deserve. I expect there is no such respite available for the little girl's family.

What a joke. Sadly, though, outrage here won't change anything. Is there any effective way to fight back against the lenience shown towards motor criminals?

Hirsute replied to Luca Patrono | 4 years ago
2 likes

Luca Patrono wrote:

Is there any effective way to fight back against the lenience shown towards motor criminals?

Paving slabs from bridges ?

srchar | 4 years ago
8 likes

Apparently, the statement contained graphic descriptions of the horrific injuries Violet-Grace suffered, of her last moments before her death, and how she looked before she was buried.

I see no reason why the arsehole who killed her should be shielded from it. Her parents weren't.

PRSboy | 4 years ago
6 likes

Aidan McAteer should have been made to read it aloud himself, to the media.  And then read it aloud, every morning, as he begins his day in prison.

He needs to relive the accident in his mind every waking hour of the rest of his life, and wonder what poor little Violet-Grace would have been doing at this very moment had he not killed her.  As does anyone else who thinks driving at 83 in a 30 is big or clever.

Rick_Rude | 4 years ago
0 likes

Read Road.cc - end up with anger issues again.

hawkinspeter replied to Rick_Rude | 4 years ago
6 likes

Rick_Rude wrote:

The best way of dealing with anger issues is to go for a bike ride.

Rick_Rude replied to hawkinspeter | 4 years ago
1 like

hawkinspeter wrote:

Rick_Rude wrote:

and hopefully not get run-over. Riding home soon via a Mcdonalds (always a danger point of chav mobiles). Wish  me luck.

hawkinspeter replied to Rick_Rude | 4 years ago
1 like

Rick_Rude wrote:

hawkinspeter wrote:

Rick_Rude wrote:

and hopefully not get run-over. Riding home soon via a Mcdonalds (always a danger point of chav mobiles). Wish  me luck.

Good luck!

I find fish'n'chip shops to be worse for random parking/pulling out and general not looking around before maneuvering.

Dingaling | 4 years ago
4 likes

Is there really anything libellous that can be said about somebody that drives at 83 mph in a 30 limit in a stolen car and kills somebody? Not in my book there isn't. Reading the report I couldn't stop myself thinking that it is time for people to exact revenge on these arseholes until the government/justice system wakes up to the fact that protection of the guilty has gone too far. 

Remember when a mother of one of the moors murderers victims said she would kill Hindley if they let her out. The authorities dropped the idea and never dared let her out! Need more people like her. 

hawkinspeter | 4 years ago
3 likes

It doesn't appear to have been libellous as other reports only mention it being 'upsetting' to the defendant.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-48915189

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/violet-graces-grieving-dad-shares-16571787

brooksby replied to hawkinspeter | 4 years ago
1 like

hawkinspeter wrote:

It doesn't appear to have been libellous as other reports only mention it being 'upsetting' to the defendant.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-48915189

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/violet-graces-grieving-dad-shares-16571787

And that would be "upsetting" to someone who actually left the scene, then tried to leave the country before being caught and facing the court.  Personally, I wonder if they called him a cowardly so-and-so?

Hirsute | 4 years ago
0 likes

"seems unlikely"
but the whole scenario of a judge making such a ruling is unlikely, regardless of the correctness.

Mungecrundle | 4 years ago
6 likes

Is there any restriction on publishing the full statement in the national press. Even if it has to be re-written word for word as a non court document?

quiff replied to Mungecrundle | 4 years ago
2 likes

Mungecrundle wrote:

Is there any restriction on publishing the full statement in the national press. Even if it has to be re-written word for word as a non court document?

Exactly what I was thinking

Hirsute replied to Mungecrundle | 4 years ago
2 likes
Mungecrundle wrote:

Was it libellous, made unfounded accusations?

As is the case with these sorts of headlines, there is never enough detail for those not there to make a judgement.

hawkinspeter replied to Hirsute | 4 years ago
2 likes

hirsute wrote:
Mungecrundle wrote:

Was it libellous, made unfounded accusations? As is the case with these sorts of headlines, there is never enough detail for those not there to make a judgement.

As the perp was being sentenced, I can't think that it would be libellous (unless it was a completely irrelevant rant, but that seems unlikely).

peted76 | 4 years ago
7 likes

That is so wrong and so sad, that poor family.

FluffyKittenofT... | 4 years ago
4 likes

The article mentions it has happened in two other cases, I'd be curious to know what kind of offenses they involved.

I don't believe it's coincidental that this issue came up with a motoring offense.  I suspect it's another symptom of how many in the justice system instinctively identify with the perpetrators in such cases - in a way they are much less prone to with other forms of crime.

hawkinspeter | 4 years ago
7 likes

Nope, I didn't.

That's quite abhorrent to me - surely part of justice is giving a voice to the injured parties, not censoring them to protect the guilty from the consequences of their own actions.

Latest Comments