Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Looking for the ultimate budget gravel frame

Dear Fellow Cyclists

I'm at the point where the gravel fever have finally caught me, and I've been looking for an Eastern-european-budget friendly option. I'm mainly looking for framesets as of now, of course if someone knows a good deal to be had, I'm open ears.

My requirements:

-thru axles front and rear - this is non negotiable

-flat mount discs front and rear - preferred

-internal cable routing - not a deal breaker but preferred

-tapered head tube

-I can live with pressfit but prefer threaded BB

-three bottle cage mounts is a nice to have

-since I'm too poor for full carbon, I'm mainly thinking AL alloy frame with carbon fork

-available with shipping in EU

-size can go small enough to fit a 170cm rider (RIP Merlin Malth)

-budget for frameset around 300EUR, can spend a bit more if it's really justified

So far the only option I've found, that is actually already available in my country is the Merida Silex, which ticks all the boxes, but I just can't seem to come to peace with that obnoxious headtube, so I kinda keep it as a last resort, if all else fails.

One very intriguing option I found is from an italian shop called ridewill, it's a non branded, bare metal, super cheap AL frame, link here. But it just looks a bit dangerous to jump into, since I couldn't find out anything about it, where it's made, etc, and never found an actual built up bike that has this frame.

As for built bikes, I looked at the Kelly's Soot, Canyon Grail AL, and Specialized Diverge E5, which all have options around 1k EUR, but it just feels a bit wrong to buy one, and then resell half the bike...

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thx,

Peter

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

2 comments

Npowel | 1 year ago
0 likes

For long rides like me i prefer this Micargi Mixe V7 City steel bike. I found this gravel steel cross bike to have a vintage flair with modern quality. It also has a laid-back seat great for long rides. It has great style and latest components rolled in one. It ensures taking your riding experience to the next level.

Boatsie | 4 years ago
1 like

Bike Master in Kiev has used bikes.. I don't speak Ukrainian but I love how most the road bikes seen have wide stays. Loads on disc brakes that clamp onto lower stay like the old foot brakes did.
If that's any help, you are welcome. Doesn't get much further eastern Europe than Kiev. Lots of flat bars. Mostly disc clamping as per above, some v-brakes.
Personally, I don't like v-brakes and hills on dropbars. High maintenance and low clamp pressure.
They had a nice looking bike at $320.
Ring them if interested. I don't know language. I know what I looked at. I didn't look at axles.
Sort of wowed that fatties would fit most of them.. Getting a better look in a day or 3

Latest Comments