Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Ultrafire torches - cheap as chips

Read about these on the overnight thing and I've just ordered some from t'internet - i got two and they worked out about 12 quid each. had to get some mounts too, they were about a fiver, so working out at £17 per light. Given that they're supposed to push out about 150 lumens, the same as some £100-£150 systems, why would you pay more? i'll report back when i actually get 'em...

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

25 comments

slowclimb | 15 years ago
0 likes

which site did you order the lights from?

dave atkinson replied to slowclimb | 15 years ago
0 likes

http://www.dealextreme.com

can't remember where the mounts were from, i'll check

gandberg replied to dave atkinson | 15 years ago
0 likes

a very good price, now I think I'll order a couple for me too....!

the-daily-ripper replied to gandberg | 15 years ago
0 likes

batteries have charged, tried it out, and it doesn't look hugely brighter than my fenix.

admittedly I tried it out in a well lit office, so will try it walking home after dark. I think it might well have a more diffuse beam, and that's the reason, which if so makes it an ideal bar light.

Dave - what's the best way to take beam shots (incl. camera settings if poss (i have a canon 450d)) as I'd like to be able to give an accurate comparison. I'll be able to put it up against a 606A and a fenix L2D premium.

But it is bright - i just shone it in my eyes which was a real twat moment. i think they're broken.

the-daily-ripper replied to the-daily-ripper | 15 years ago
0 likes

now that i've tried it in the dark, it rules!

it's like having slightly less light than car headlights on full beam.

Sweet.

cougie replied to the-daily-ripper | 15 years ago
0 likes

Love the power (and price) of that torch.

Currently running 1 Fenix LD20(bar mounted) and 1 Fenix L2D (helmet mounted) - and find thats ok for gentle off roading at night. That monster looks at least 2 or 3 times the power of each of my torches.

Love to know what run time you get off it.

the-daily-ripper replied to cougie | 15 years ago
0 likes

i shall do the beam shots tonight if it's not too cold. I'll try and put some distance markers on the road too to give an accurate idea of what sort of light and depth i'm getting

dave atkinson replied to the-daily-ripper | 15 years ago
0 likes

okay, let's standardise for the sake of accurate comparisons from now on, shall we?

i'd suggest the following for starters:

1/8 sec, f8, ISO 800. beam directed at a flat, empty road from bar height to hit the road surface at approx 5m. shot from normal seated position on bike.

most people should be able to replicate that with a manual-capable camera

give it a go and see what you get!

the-daily-ripper | 15 years ago
0 likes

as that's what I ordered a week or so ago, so hopefully it should turn up very soon and I'll be able to post some beam shots up.

£35 including two batteries and a charger.

cactuscat replied to the-daily-ripper | 15 years ago
0 likes

this has - and i quote -

"A Crenelated strike bezel for enhanced self-defense"

WTF?

the-daily-ripper replied to cactuscat | 15 years ago
0 likes

it means you can hit people with it and it'll confuse CSI as they won't try hitting pigs heads with a torch. They like hitting them with spanners and stuff.

Barney Fletcher | 15 years ago
0 likes

do they take?

cactuscat replied to Barney Fletcher | 15 years ago
0 likes

just two AAs, so you can stuff a couple more in your pocket or even stop by the garage if you're desperate... run time is about 1.5 hours on high, from what i've read...

got 'em from here:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4238

Barney Fletcher replied to cactuscat | 15 years ago
0 likes

rechargeables

cactuscat replied to Barney Fletcher | 15 years ago
0 likes

from what i've read it works fine with 'em

the-daily-ripper replied to cactuscat | 15 years ago
0 likes

it was me that pitched up to the night-race with them, and they do indeed take two AA batteries. (I use vapextech ones from www.component-shop.co.uk)

They're good lights for the cash. Given that I tend to experiment with lights a lot, I've just ordered some next generation LED ones direct from china than suggest they can pump out about 700 lumen from a single LED.

Should be here in a week or so, at which point I'll write a review...

the-daily-ripper replied to the-daily-ripper | 15 years ago
0 likes

Oh, and run-time on 2700mAh batteries is about 2 hours, with a slightly noticeable dimming after an hour, and realistically becoming unuseable as a beam after about 1.5h.

The shots in the pics were taken after I'd probably been riding for about 30 mins, so they are slightly down, but ultimately they're not quite as bright as say a fenix L2D premium, but for £10 a pop, who cares. I tend to run 2 on my crash helmet, using one until the beam starts to dim, and then switching them both on - can ride off-road for 2 hours at night with just that.

Barney Fletcher replied to the-daily-ripper | 15 years ago
0 likes

I might have to get a bit of that action, even if you don't use them all the time as bike lights you can never have too many torches

gandberg replied to Barney Fletcher | 15 years ago
0 likes

for a light that apparently kicks out 1000 lumens from a single bulb. If its any good I might just set up as an importer....!

Happy riding people.

cactuscat replied to gandberg | 15 years ago
0 likes
gandberg wrote:

for a light that apparently kicks out 1000 lumens from a single bulb.

a how much? a what light? i gotta get me one o' they...

gandberg replied to cactuscat | 15 years ago
0 likes

and as I've dabbled in Import/Export from China I can email friends/translators over there to get a few shipped over. Prices are £65 inc delivery to the UK, about to place my order so if any of you others want one, feel free to contact me. Its basically a torch, I'll post more details soon, got some nephews to play with now though.

Cheers!

the-daily-ripper replied to gandberg | 15 years ago
0 likes

and it looks good:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12060

Haven't powered it up yet, but as before, it's a 900 lumen torch by all accounts, and with two batteries and a charger, and delivered to my door in the UK it's about £35.

Now I have the charger, if it's good and I get another it'll be $41 for the torch, and $10 for the batteries - i.e. about £27.

Beam shots at the weekend!

0 likes

Me 'n' oli in the office got our Ultrafire WF606A torches today too. they're the on/off ones rather than the two power/flashing mode ones, i didn't reckon i'd need all that cause i'm using it in conjunction with a Silva 3W headtorch that can flash. they were £12, plus £4 for a mount. Here's a beam test  1

Seriously though, I'll submit a proper review in due course...

the-daily-ripper replied to dave atkinson | 15 years ago
0 likes

why are you looking at animals on the internet? Is Dave starting a new website, like, err, dogs.cc?

0 likes

www.kingbladudspigs.org

Oli's working on the auction catalogue. Sometimes we do real work. Well, he does.

Latest Comments