Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Comfortable road shoes

I'm in the market for a pair of comfy road shoes, but I have right a big old bunnion on my right foot. Over the years I've tried Gaerne, Shimano, NorthWave, Pearl Izumi and Specialized and a few more besides, the Pearl Izumis and the Spesh were more leisure shoes and they were pretty comfortablle, but I have still to find a really comfortable road shoe.

I've not gone down the Carnac and Sid route in the past cos I've got wide feed and I always thought they were both quite narrow fitting. I'm tending towards of Specialized's anyone got any thoughts/advice?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

DaSy | 15 years ago
0 likes

And that would be both Shimano and Adidas (which would also now include Mavic), as these are both pretty narrow fitting shoes...

I love my Adistar Pro's but I did have to go a size up just to get enough width to make them comfy...

Slim replied to DaSy | 15 years ago
0 likes

Search out some of the Sidi Mega range for a try - I have really wide feet and use Side Mega Genius on the roadie and Sidi Mega SomethingOrOther on the MTB.

Or, try the shoes you can mould by heating in the oven? GB Cycles (gbcycles.co.uk I think) sell them.

thebikeboy replied to Slim | 15 years ago
0 likes

I will have a look for the Megas. I've tried the mouldable Shimanos - the R300s, the ones they head up the insole in an oven and then mould the upper to your foot by sticking it in a plastic back and sucking all of the air out. Made an interesting shap around my bunnion! I found that the insole shrank after a while (though you could re-head it and mould it again, but the other downer was that they gave me terrible hotspots (and the insoles had cooled down by then, honest) although another mate who's got a pair swears by them.

cougie | 15 years ago
0 likes

I use Spesh now - I think you can get a wide fitting Sidi - the Mega ? But hard to track down.

You can get some nice Spesh racing shoes for under a hundred. I steer clear of the 'bells and whistles' - just more to go wrong.

thebikeboy replied to cougie | 15 years ago
0 likes

Think I'll see if I can pick up some of these BG Experts. I do like the other Body Geometry stuff I've used, seems well thought out and these look a good basic shoe. Not too expensive either, which helps  1

Latest Comments