Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

STRAVA Cycling Study

Fellow cyclists!

I'm completing a masters dissertation at University College London on how people use Strava for cycling. If you have 5 minutes please fill in this survey. There is a prize draw with 5 prizes!

https://opinio.ucl.ac.uk/s?s=25154

Hope some of you will be keen to participate  1

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

19 comments

behemothprocycling | 10 years ago
0 likes

Just completed survey.
Sorry I can't give you any drastic insight but I guess someone who only uses it occasionally can still make a valid point.
To be honest if I didn't have such an out of date smartphone I would probably use it more, it slows down my phone and really eats the battery.

johnny2names | 10 years ago
0 likes

Done. One point about privacy on strava- the exclusion zone seems to be set at a fixed distance (500m?). So if you set off on three different routes, a sophisticated person can ' triangulate' your location pretty darn accurately. I would suggest using a slightly different address, just in case.

Please let us know the conclusions of your dissertation!

alisonmwill | 10 years ago
0 likes

If you haven't taken part, the survey ends tomorrow! Thanks again to everyone who helped out  1

0 likes

Thanks for the feedback-- I realised the issue with nationality after I released the survey... nobody is perfect I guess ;). Luckily, other than aggravating the English/Scottish/Welsh respondents, it shouldn't make a big enough difference in the findings. If I were to do be doing a cross-cultural study on cycling habits, then it would be a bigger deal!!

Thanks again everyone. Still taking responses until Tuesday! And still need more women... !!

arfa | 10 years ago
0 likes

Is strava worthy of academic study?!
I use it to evaluate over the long term whether I am working/getting fitter when safe to do so. I am not sure the survey captures that.

joc | 10 years ago
0 likes

done

billyman | 10 years ago
0 likes

Allison, it wasn't meant as a criticism more of an observation, good luck with your dissertation.

on the privacy note, I'm not bothered or worried about any side of the social aspect of privacy, but I do worry about my bike being stolen, so privacy on that side of things is a concern, I believe the privacy circle could be a little larger, especially for those whom live in more remote areas, would be easy for a thief to figure out your place of abode if you where the only house in that privacy circle lol.

cidermart | 10 years ago
0 likes

bikeboy76
The section on the questionnaire asks for 'Nationality'(please read my op) and when asked this on numerous forms it is generally broken down into sections i.e. British, Irish and so on. I have a British passport the country I am from is the United Kingdom, England actually but that's a whole different can of worms which I will refrain from opening, so my 'Nationality' is 'British'. Pedant

Leviathan | 10 years ago
0 likes

Well 'British' is the description but United Kingdom is the state. There is no country called Britain, but an island called Great Britain, though it is not a country either. If you are looking in a list of countries you will see United Kingdom and similarly United States but not 'American.'

[/pedantry]

cidermart | 10 years ago
0 likes

My nationality is British not United Kingdom but other than that good luck with your dissertation and I hope my answers help  1

gazer117 | 10 years ago
0 likes

One small thing i noticed in the survey is that sportives as down as competitive events, whereas they are non competitive events(contrary to some choppers common beliefs !!)  26

Bhachgen | 10 years ago
0 likes

You do know that we have main roads in the countryside as well as those idyllic lanes right? Or do you think that 2 lane roads cease to exist after you cross the M25?

Wookie | 10 years ago
0 likes

done  1

notfastenough | 10 years ago
0 likes

@Billyman, agreed, I did add something in the freetext bit re the difference between people who create daft, unsafe segments and race them, and those who use it to set times on longer, safer sections.

0 likes

I'd like to think my masters dissertation will be a bit more complex ;).

That is one aspect I am assessing, peoples *perceptions* of safety. But there's a fairly strong focus on privacy and social elements which I am actually more curious about!

notfastenough replied to alisonmwill | 10 years ago
0 likes
alisonmwill wrote:

I'd like to think my masters dissertation will be a bit more complex ;).

That is one aspect I am assessing, peoples *perceptions* of safety. But there's a fairly strong focus on privacy and social elements which I am actually more curious about!

There's an interesting point here - I didn't feel that strongly about sharing (or otherwise) my rides, BUT that's solely because I use the exclusion zones feature, so worry less about it. Perhaps I should have chosen 'very concerned'...

billyman | 10 years ago
0 likes

it's easy enough to spot it's intentions, they simply want to see how dangerous the use of strava is.

oddbydefault | 10 years ago
0 likes

Done

Cycle_Jim | 10 years ago
0 likes

Just filled out, could perhaps do with a comments box on what your opinion of strava is, or something along these lines.
Perhaps something to do with its effect on riding with friends too?

Latest Comments