Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Aftermarket Forks for Super Six

Hi All,

I've got a 2016 Super Six Evo Hi-Mod that's developed a small crack in in the fork steerer near to headset. I discovered it when it started creaking, so I'm thinking the forks definitely need replaced. I'm guessing a set of OEM forks for an out of production 6 year old race bike will be hard to come by.

Has anyone had experience replacing the forks on this bike with an aftermarket set? From a quick scout online, I've found forks like the ENVE replacement apparently aren't compatible with the 2016 Hi-Mod, although they never specify why.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

ChrisG619 replied to Spangly Shiny | 1 year ago
0 likes

Cheers, I've been looking through old forum posts. It appears ENVE once upon a time made a rim brake fork that was 1 1/4 to 1 1/8th taper with 45mm rake offset, but it doesn't look like that's available anymore.

Aberdeenlune replied to ChrisG619 | 1 year ago
0 likes

I have a Cannondale carbon fork from a CAAD10 going spare. Same tapered steerer. The fork is for rim brakes. It's a white one. If your interested I could let it go for a reasonable price. It was from a frame I scrapped due to a small dent in the top tube. The fork is undamaged. 

IanMSpencer | 1 year ago
0 likes

Try phoning a Cannondale dealer - oddly I couldn't find a UK Cannondale distributor listed on their website, or Cannondale customer service, then at least you've ticked those boxes off.

Thereafter, you can fit some 3rd party fork if you get the dimensions right - which is making sure the steerer tube is the right size, was this a standard 1 1/8" steerer tube or something fancier (like Giant adopted an oversize bottom 1 1/4" steerer). Then it is a question of checking the dimensions to ensure that the rake and offset is similar to achieve similar handling (and it is designed for the type of brakes you have - not so silly these days with not just but other variants). You saw off the steerer tube to the right length, so that bit is not a problem. The headset fit to a fork is fairly standard, there is a ring that sits on the fork and the bearing interfaces with that so different headsets should match any fork of the correct dimensions.

So with care, you should be able to find something, whether it will perform as well is a bit of an unknown. A decent bike shop should be able to work out what to put in if you are unsure. 

Of course, Halfords can't even fit a matching fork...

ChrisG619 replied to IanMSpencer | 1 year ago
0 likes

The Cannondale uses a tapered steerer that goes from 1-1/4″ to 1-1/8″. I've changed forks on cheaper, less integrated bikes before, but not something this fancy. Neither the local bike shop, nor the dealer I'd bought it from back then, had any experience putting aftermarket forks in, and they both recommended an internet forum search to see if anyone had any experience online.

Latest Comments