Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

An Attitude of an LBC radio presenter

I was listening to the babbling rantings of idiot Steve Allen on LBC this morning and he bragged about how he liked to squeeze cyclists to the kerb. The evidence will be on his podcast. Now isn’t that disgusting when a guy who drives a Bentley admits this. 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

15 comments

belugabob | 1 year ago
5 likes

Steve Allen often comes out with uninformed rubbish about all sorts of things, so having irrational views about cyclists isn't surprising

I do feel, however, that the ombudsman should be involved, and he should be made to make a full apology, give an explanation of how is attitude is wrong and the actual rights and responsibilities involved.
He should also be fined, for his actions, be made to announce what the fine was, along with fines and consequences that others could expect for doing the kind of things that we see every day.

But, no, he'll probably get another broadcasting award.

Owd Big 'Ead | 1 year ago
0 likes

I wonder how large his audience is at 4am?

While not condoning his words, I doubt he is triggering many psychopaths at that early hour of the day.

He probably gets away with his peevish views purely because he spouts his drivel at a time where hardly anyone notices.

If you feel genuinely aggrieved, airing it on a cycling forum isn't going to achieve much. Have you considered a formal complaint to his bosses, or whatever ombudsman deals with such issues?

pockstone replied to Owd Big 'Ead | 1 year ago
9 likes

Owd Big 'Ead wrote:

If Nick Ferrari is up and listening, then pretty large.

Jimnm replied to Owd Big 'Ead | 1 year ago
1 like

Nah, his demise will happen without my help. 

Rendel Harris replied to Owd Big 'Ead | 1 year ago
2 likes

Owd Big 'Ead wrote:

While not condoning his words, I doubt he is triggering many psychopaths at that early hour of the day.

Actually his audience probably primarily comprises cab drivers and delivery drivers, many of whom are already on a hair trigger for cyclist hate; we generally leave home about 6AM so I could do without people on the roads who have already been up all night being more wound up by their dose of daily hate when we interact with each other.

Mungecrundle | 1 year ago
7 likes

Whilst he may be stupid enough to make threats in public, he's probably not stupid enough to actually make good on the threat.

Why his words matter is that depressingly many of his listners will believe that such behaviour is not only OK but their public spirited duty to remove the cycling menace from the roads by making life uncomfortable (or short) for people who ride bicycles. If LBC refuse to rein in their presenters then maybe it is time for the broadcast regulator to review their licence to operate.

mdavidford | 1 year ago
3 likes

Yes, but...

it would be equally disgusting if he drove a Clio - I'm not sure that the choice of car really makes any difference when you're being squashed by it.

chrisonabike replied to mdavidford | 1 year ago
4 likes

Why own a Bentley and drive yourself?

Jimnm replied to mdavidford | 1 year ago
1 like

Absolutely, if someone stepped out in front of you it could be your demise. The person in question has dillusions of grandeur.

Fignon's ghost | 1 year ago
2 likes

As I've said before. Get your cycle pump to the ready. When it happens again. Give his paintwork a lovely new go gofaster stripe.
He'll think twice the next time.

Jimnm replied to Fignon's ghost | 1 year ago
0 likes

Why can't they just follow the Highway Code. It's car wars  nowadays. 

brooksby replied to Fignon's ghost | 1 year ago
1 like

I do wonder how much cosmetic repairs to a Bentley would cost...? After all, he thinks cyclists are the f-ing Invisible Man most of the time, so it's not like anyone could get caught...

open_roads | 1 year ago
7 likes

He's in good company with Nick Ferrari who constantly spouts off about the inconvenience caused by cycle lanes - apparently his need to be chauffeured into work from his home in Greenwich trumps everyone else's need for clean air or not getting killed cycling to work.

Jimnm replied to open_roads | 1 year ago
2 likes

I don't know how they get away with it. Ferrari was kicking off about The trains strike, saying that they need beating up. Unbelievable! 

AlsoSomniloquism replied to open_roads | 1 year ago
4 likes

It that the same Nick who lives in an LTN, but decries LTNs?

Latest Comments