Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Help me get my disc pads out - 105 hydraulic

Hello folks! I have some Shimano 105 callipers. I was trying to remove the front bolt and it's decided to get seized and round off.

Does anyone have any advice to save me having to replace the whole calliper?

//i.ibb.co/6g2y1Kj/ABAABA48-B147-4-B89-B3-E9-21-DBBC4070-CB.jpg)

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

13 comments

boxrick | 3 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for all the replies folks, from the sounds of it there is going to be a degree of danger to my bike / bits whilst is still on there from the sounds of it...

I will look to replace with hex heads on my other bikes and use copper slip, any recommendations on where to buy some of these for in the UK?

For this bike, I reckon replacing it with a new one then seeing I can 'fix' it and get it sold...

hawkinspeter replied to boxrick | 3 years ago
0 likes

I got my replacement pins from eBay - they're XT-M785 pad pins which work fine but are longer by a mm or two.

I think these are the same but I don't know for sure: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-Pad-Axle-Snap-Ring-Retaining-Bolt-Pad-Holder-for-XTR-Deore-XT-Saint/164545894289

Have a look on eBay, Amazon or car/bike shops for either Copaslip, or any other copper grease - you'll only need a tiny bit so you might get away with asking a garage or neighbour to use some.

Canyon48 | 3 years ago
0 likes

I've had the exact same issue following a long, wet, winter (and a lack of maintenance over the past year!).

I drilled out the bolt (which ruined the calliper threads) and replaced the bolt with a split pin instead.

The bolt was corrded in place so I've made sure to put cooper grease on the threaded portion and anti-corrosive compund on the shaft.

Dapple | 3 years ago
0 likes

I posted in the Ultegra thread linked to here as I had the same issue.  The first bike shop I went to said they couldn't remove the pins so I ended up having to buy a set of calipers on eBay (new ones were out of stock everywhere).

They weren't interested in drilling the pins out so I took the calipers to another bike shop and they had them out within an hour.  They used heat to free them up - cost me £10.  So there are definitely ways to avoid replacing the whole caliper.  I just found this out a bit too late.

hawkinspeter | 3 years ago
0 likes

Short version - my bike shop used a dremel to cut a new slot in the retaining pin and removed it easily.

Replace those crap flat-head pins with some hex-head pins to prevent it happening again.

Long version: https://road.cc/content/forum/246664-disc-brake-noob-tips-please

Pilot Pete replied to hawkinspeter | 3 years ago
0 likes

hawkinspeter wrote:

Short version - my bike shop used a dremel to cut a new slot in the retaining pin and removed it easily.

Replace those crap flat-head pins with some hex-head pins to prevent it happening again.

Long version: https://road.cc/content/forum/246664-disc-brake-noob-tips-please

dremel is the answer. And if you replace the bolts with new bolts, use coppaslip on the threads and don't tighten them up to the point of mashing the head - the coppaslip will prevent them seizing and the circlip will prevent them coming undone. That makes it easy to get them out next time.

PP

hawkinspeter replied to Pilot Pete | 3 years ago
2 likes

I think I used a dab of lithium grease (it was closer) on mine, but at least with a hex head you can easily undo them (as opposed to the standard slot head made out of blancmange).

mike the bike replied to Pilot Pete | 3 years ago
2 likes

[/quote]

..... and don't tighten them up to the point of mashing the head..... [/quote]

In any case there's no need to overtighten these bolts as there should be a small spring clip on the inner end to prevent them unscrewing.

wtjs replied to Pilot Pete | 3 years ago
0 likes

coppaslip will prevent them seizing

This is not an argument, but I haven't found copper grease to be any better than standard grease. This topic has reminded me to loosen the the hex heads on the TRP Spyres, but they were easy- I only changed the pads 3 months ago. This bike is out in all conditions.

Steve K | 3 years ago
1 like
matthewn5 replied to Steve K | 3 years ago
0 likes

"Use discs" they said. "They're so easy to maintain", they said.

Never had this problem with rim brakes.

ibr17xvii replied to matthewn5 | 3 years ago
0 likes

matthewn5 wrote:

"Use discs" they said. "They're so easy to maintain", they said.

Never had this problem with rim brakes.

Who's "they" who said that?

hawkinspeter replied to matthewn5 | 3 years ago
1 like

This is less of a problem inherent with disc brakes and more of a bad design choice to use a slot-headed pin that screws into place even though there's a retaining clip. If Shimano had just used a standard split pin there wouldn't be this problem or they could have just used the hex headed pins that they do use on their MTB range.

Latest Comments